View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 437 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Flash your own Kawasaki ZX14 ECU and Data Log Too! 

jkwool wrote:
In the last conversation I had with Rick, i asked him if he knew of any reasonably priced gauge clusters for the ZX14R 2012+ model. This would be very useful to assist with tracking down the fault code issue as the Kawasaki KDS diagnostic tools i have here is not picking up the error that is reported on the gauges, so it must be something related to the communications directly with the gauge. If anyone knows where i can find a reasonably priced set of Gauge Clusters for the 2012+ ZX14R please send me a PM.
I had a gauge cluster and a full wiring harness for a 2012 zx14R a while back .. I sent both to Don Guhl for testing to see if the system could hold 3 Maps and it can ..It belongs to Don now so I can't get it back ..

Fri May 16, 2014 1:24 pm

SmokinZX14 wrote:
jkwool wrote:
In the last conversation I had with Rick, i asked him if he knew of any reasonably priced gauge clusters for the ZX14R 2012+ model. This would be very useful to assist with tracking down the fault code issue as the Kawasaki KDS diagnostic tools i have here is not picking up the error that is reported on the gauges, so it must be something related to the communications directly with the gauge. If anyone knows where i can find a reasonably priced set of Gauge Clusters for the 2012+ ZX14R please send me a PM.
I had a gauge cluster and a full wiring harness for a 2012 zx14R a while back .. I sent both to Don Guhl for testing to see if the system could hold 3 Maps and it can ..It belongs to Don now so I can't get it back ..

so no use then, unless Don is willing to contribute to the cause? :) Don has purchased our Kit for the ZX14R so maybe he will come to the party?

Fri May 16, 2014 1:34 pm
Profile WWW

jkwool wrote:
SmokinZX14 wrote:
jkwool wrote:

so no use then, unless Don is willing to contribute to the cause? :) Don has purchased our Kit for the ZX14R so maybe he will come to the party?
You will have to ask him , he is not happy with me seeing I gave you AD space ..

Fri May 16, 2014 2:09 pm

I have found one today with just under 600 Miles on it less than one hour drive from my house. I'm sending you the details.

Fri May 16, 2014 5:40 pm

Romans wrote:
I have found one today with just under 600 Miles on it less than one hour drive from my house. I'm sending you the details.

Thanks Rick, just got your email and responded, lets do it.

Fri May 16, 2014 9:20 pm
Profile WWW

jkwool wrote:
Romans wrote:

Thanks Rick, just got your email and responded, lets do it.
Just a question , you don't have a zx14r in OZ that you can test this on ? :?:

Fri May 16, 2014 11:36 pm

Ok, got some very good news. I spent a bunch more time on the Service Code 3a issue today and just sent a new test bin file for Rick to try. Just got off the phone to him and he confirmed that it was 100% successful and the fault code is no longer present.

This fix is now available in v1.9.4 of WRT under the "Advanced Settings" section" and is titled "Disable Service Code 3a". This fix should only be applied to ECU's that have the 3a Service Code issue.

Thanks Rick for testing the fix and confirming that it worked.

On a further positive note, while pouring through many 1000's of lines of code working through this issue i have managed to find some other cool features that we will look to add in the future for the ZX14R.

Woolich Racing will also be releasing a new product for the ZX14R in coming weeks. Stay tuned for more....

Sat May 17, 2014 10:36 am
Profile WWW

:thumbs:

wee

Sat May 17, 2014 11:39 am

That sounds like good news. Justin, I bought the setup a long time ago, before the 3 ecu limit was in effect, I believe. Bought all of the harnesses and BIN files for '06+ ZX14/14R. Can I still do unlimited flashes on unlimited ecu's, with the latest software?

Sat May 17, 2014 11:52 am

Shane661 wrote:
That sounds like good news. Justin, I bought the setup a long time ago, before the 3 ecu limit was in effect, I believe. Bought all of the harnesses and BIN files for '06+ ZX14/14R. Can I still do unlimited flashes on unlimited ecu's, with the latest software?

Yes of course, we honor our agreements in place at the time of purchase.

Sat May 17, 2014 11:55 am
Profile WWW

jkwool wrote:
Shane661 wrote:

Yes of course, we honor our agreements in place at the time of purchase.

Excellent, thanks!

Sat May 17, 2014 12:01 pm

have v1.904 loaded and it is not there

Sat May 17, 2014 12:32 pm

Johny try logging into your account. Take all the updates then restart. After Restart in advanced should show Retain last, 02 sensor, Disable 3A

Sat May 17, 2014 12:42 pm

The latest version of WRT is v1.9.4. You will need to open a 2012+ ZX14R bin file to see the new Advanced Setting "Disable Service Code 3a"

Sat May 17, 2014 12:44 pm
Profile WWW

I wasn't able to post here all week so sorry for my delay with update...
Jim came to the dyno LAST Saturday with more C-85 fuel so I could complete the tune on his Gen-1 ZX14...
I was very happy that the FI light didn't come on all day and I was able to complete his Tune with good results :)
I didn't rev it to/past 12,000rpm on this pull because the mapping was perfect up there on the previous pulls but you can see that this motor makes good power at high rpms :vroom:
Attachment:
JimsZX14_SAE.jpg
JimsZX14_SAE.jpg [ 185.92 KiB | Viewed 3155 times ]

I hate it when people only post STD graphs to show higher numbers but here's the STD graph for comparison.
Attachment:
JimsZX14_STD.jpg
JimsZX14_STD.jpg [ 189.61 KiB | Viewed 3155 times ]

I made small changes to Fuel at 4,500, 7,000 and 8,500 RPMs to raise/smooth the dips in the HP and Torq but I don't have a run-file to show the improvement...

Sat May 17, 2014 5:38 pm
Profile WWW

after three times closing and opening it finally showed up
same version never updated since the v1.9.4 was loaded

Sat May 17, 2014 7:50 pm

jkwool wrote:
The latest version of WRT is v1.9.4. You will need to open a 2012+ ZX14R bin file to see the new Advanced Setting "Disable Service Code 3a"
So I guess my ECU and harness are on the way back to me ? :thanks:

Sat May 17, 2014 9:18 pm

SmokinZX14 wrote:
jkwool wrote:

Yes, i will send the re-pinned harness and ECU back to you tomorrow, will send through the tracking details when i have them.

Sun May 18, 2014 7:59 am
Profile WWW

jkwool wrote:
SmokinZX14 wrote:
jkwool wrote:

Yes, i will send the re-pinned harness and ECU back to you tomorrow, will send through the tracking details when i have them.
:thumbs: :thanks:

Sun May 18, 2014 8:16 am

Got the updated flash to remove the error code loaded just 30 minutes ago. When the error code was present I could not access my bike's menu, post error code fix, bike's menu is still not accessible. Is this the case with the others?

Curious if the updated flash just bypasses the light, but the ecu still sees it? Keeping me from accessing the menu.

Sun May 18, 2014 4:24 pm

eurazn12 wrote:
Got the updated flash to remove the error code loaded just 30 minutes ago. When the error code was present I could not access my bike's menu, post error code fix, bike's menu is still not accessible. Is this the case with the others?

Curious if the updated flash just bypasses the light, but the ecu still sees it? Keeping me from accessing the menu.
Don't know , I have not got my ecu yet to try it .. Rick if you read this will you please test this and lets us know ... Thanks

Sun May 18, 2014 6:56 pm

eurazn12 wrote:

This issue is New to me. Very curious as to your ECU # Not that it should make a difference. Has anyone else reported this problem after Flashing ?

Some info:

The two affected ECU's that I have been testing with are 21175-0714 (USA), 21175- 0715 (California). Both had check Engine light Code 3A. At no time was the instrument cluster Not functioning properly with these ECU's. Before or after Woolich binfile repair update v1.94.

In the case of the Two ECU Models listed above, Light is now Out, bike idle is clean with a steady 13.5 AFR. This is exactly the same as the Non affected 2115-0714 ECU that was in the bike before being removed to make the tests.

Today I will be road testing both ECU's to insure my positive Hopes were Not over Zealous or premature. But I must say All looks as it should and I remain positive that the 3A issue is solved. I hope this helps Cheers.

Mon May 19, 2014 4:56 am

jkwool wrote:
smokehouse4444 wrote:
I talked to Kevin, and as usual he was very helpful. He did clarify that when I received it we checked out the TC and it was indeed remaining in whatever mode it was in when I turned the bike back on. He is confused as well as to why it would now be reverting to the preset Kawasaki function. It just so happens that I am about to go on a short vacation, so Kevin said to just send the ECU out to him again he would check it through. Pain in the ass, but it is cool of him to take care of business this way.

Yes i spoke to Kevin yesterday and he said he would look at it, if the traction control setting was set in the bin file it would not simply revert to the standard setting over time. Kevin will get to the bottom of it for you.

I just wanted to post an update with the problem with my ECU flash. I received my ECU back from Kevin Blais a couple of weeks ago and tested it out...the TC works as it should now. As usual, Kevin was fantastic, very helpful, and very honest. He took care of me as soon as he could. The question is still there, however. Kevin said that when he looked into the ECU file, all "boxes" were checked that were supposed to except for the Traction Control. Since we checked it the first time that I received it and it worked, the question is how did that box become "unchecked". There has been nobody within a country mile of that ECU other than my butt on the seat over it, and I haven't even been riding all that much because of some out of town family issues. Kevin has no idea how it would just revert to the stock settings, and I certainly don't. Don't know what to say about that.

Regardless, my most sincere thanks to Kevin for taking care of the problem again.

Wed May 21, 2014 8:22 am

smokehouse4444 wrote:
jkwool wrote:
smokehouse4444 wrote:
I talked to Kevin, and as usual he was very helpful. He did clarify that when I received it we checked out the TC and it was indeed remaining in whatever mode it was in when I turned the bike back on. He is confused as well as to why it would now be reverting to the preset Kawasaki function. It just so happens that I am about to go on a short vacation, so Kevin said to just send the ECU out to him again he would check it through. Pain in the ass, but it is cool of him to take care of business this way.

Yes i spoke to Kevin yesterday and he said he would look at it, if the traction control setting was set in the bin file it would not simply revert to the standard setting over time. Kevin will get to the bottom of it for you.

I just wanted to post an update with the problem with my ECU flash. I received my ECU back from Kevin Blais a couple of weeks ago and tested it out...the TC works as it should now. As usual, Kevin was fantastic, very helpful, and very honest. He took care of me as soon as he could. The question is still there, however. Kevin said that when he looked into the ECU file, all "boxes" were checked that were supposed to except for the Traction Control. Since we checked it the first time that I received it and it worked, the question is how did that box become "unchecked". There has been nobody within a country mile of that ECU other than my butt on the seat over it, and I haven't even been riding all that much because of some out of town family issues. Kevin has no idea how it would just revert to the stock settings, and I certainly don't. Don't know what to say about that.

Regardless, my most sincere thanks to Kevin for taking care of the problem again.

Hi David

Good to hear the issue is resolved, Kevin is a good guy, really knows his stuff as well which is the reason i got him to help you out in the first place.

It is not possible for a setting to change once it has been flashed. The process of flashing erases the ECU and writes the new bin file onto the processor in the ECU.

Fri May 23, 2014 9:06 am
Profile WWW

Regarding these ECU's with different PN. For example 49 state, vs CA. Is it possible to just flash the CA ecu with a 49 state .bin? I would think that the hardware of the ecu is the same??

Sat May 24, 2014 10:10 am

Do not mix BIN Period

Sat May 24, 2014 9:54 pm

Regardless, my most sincere thanks to Kevin for taking care of the problem again.[/quote]
Hi David

Good to hear the issue is resolved, Kevin is a good guy, really knows his stuff as well which is the reason i got him to help you out in the first place.

It is not possible for a setting to change once it has been flashed. The process of flashing erases the ECU and writes the new bin file onto the processor in the ECU.[/quote]

So then, as I stated earlier, the flash was working perfectly when I received the ECU back the first time. How did it go from working correctly to the TC not performing as it should? That would be the question. Kevin himself said that we checked it together over the phone when I received the ECU and it was working right. When he received it from me again, he said everything was there except the TC. That would be the confusing part that begs an answer.

Sat May 24, 2014 10:36 pm

guys, i have been datalogging with the Woolich Logbox Pro and just made a change to my full power fuel maps. Now i am getting hunting terribly bad. I have set my low power map to the original full power map and toggled between the two. the original map runs good the full power map is hunting terribly. what am i missing here?

Wed May 28, 2014 2:05 pm

Have you run the auto tune over both the iap and tps maps? Have you posted on the woolich forum?

Wed May 28, 2014 3:07 pm

yes. mapped and changed both IAP & TPS maps.

Wed May 28, 2014 5:38 pm

johnnycheese wrote:
Do not mix BIN Period

I agree with Johhny, we provide all of the variations of bin files for different ECU part numbers, you should use the ECU Part number that matches your ECU. You can read the serial number within the software ('Tools'->'Read Serial Number') if you are unsure which bin file is in the stock ecu.

Wed May 28, 2014 8:48 pm
Profile WWW

Hb3butler wrote:
guys, i have been datalogging with the Woolich Logbox Pro and just made a change to my full power fuel maps. Now i am getting hunting terribly bad. I have set my low power map to the original full power map and toggled between the two. the original map runs good the full power map is hunting terribly. what am i missing here?

Are you using the default 'Target AFR' map? This is found on the 'Target AFR' tab in the AutoTune screen? Depending on the usage of the bike, local conditions, fuel used, modifications to the bike etc you may require a richer or different Target AFR map.

The default Target AFR map provided is a starting point which can be easily adjusted to suit your circumstances or tuning preferences. To adjust just click on the "Target AFR" Tab in the AutoTune screen, you can select the cells and make changes like any other map in WRT, the software will prompt you to save the modified Target AFR map and it will default back to the modified Target AFR map the next time you open the AutoTune screen. You could start by lowering (lower number is richer mixture) the Target AFR by 0.2, test by logging some data and AutoTuning.

Wed May 28, 2014 8:57 pm
Profile WWW

smokehouse4444 wrote:
So then, as I stated earlier, the flash was working perfectly when I received the ECU back the first time. How did it go from working correctly to the TC not performing as it should? That would be the question. Kevin himself said that we checked it together over the phone when I received the ECU and it was working right. When he received it from me again, he said everything was there except the TC. That would be the confusing part that begs an answer.

It is extremely improbable that the setting would have changed 6 months after the ECU was flashed. The processor inside the ECU uses EEPROM on the processor to store the bin file, this is the memory used in most micro-controllers which you will find in everything from microwave overs, mobile phones to aircraft control systems etc. You can read more about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EEPROM

Having flashed many thousands of ECU's and microcontrollers, I have never heard of a setting in EEPROM spontaneously changing after flashing.

Wed May 28, 2014 9:07 pm
Profile WWW

jkwool wrote:
smokehouse4444 wrote:

It is extremely improbable that the setting would have changed 6 months after the ECU was flashed. The processor inside the ECU uses EEPROM on the processor to store the bin file, this is the memory used in most micro-controllers which you will find in everything from microwave overs, mobile phones to aircraft control systems etc. You can read more about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EEPROM

Having flashed many thousands of ECU's and microcontrollers, I have never heard of a setting in EEPROM spontaneously changing after flashing.

Well Justin, I appreciate how unlikely it is, but it did. After all of the problems involved with my ECU, Kevin was finally able to have it working properly with no error light. When I received it back from him, everything was working as it should. I verified with him that we checked it. I was going to take it to Johnny for some fine tuning, but we were afraid of it just getting jacked up again. Then Johnny had surgery, then there was winter, then there was dealing with my Dad having Alzheimers up in the Dallas area, then I started riding it a little more. In all of that time period, I probably rode the big Zeek five times or so. I never changed it from the F 1 setting. Then the first time I took it to the track, I realized it was changing back from F off to F 1 when I turned the bike back on. I also have nothing at my home, nor do I have the knowledge, nor would I even want to do anything even remotely associated with messing around with my ECU. I do not know what else to tell you. I am grateful that Kevin took the time to redo it, and has said that if there are any problems, I can send it back. I appreciate that.

So again, this isn't an argument, or even a discussion; it is a fact...plain and simple:

*Kevin had it working correctly and we checked it over the phone together
*Rode the bike roughly five or so times in about six months, never changing the TC.
*Took it to track and TC was as a stock bike
*Sent it to Kevin who said the TC flash was "off"
*He redid it, seems to be working fine now.

Nothing else to say.

Wed May 28, 2014 10:00 pm

I think we will have to put it down to your ECU defying the laws of Computer Science :shock:

Thu May 29, 2014 5:38 am
Profile WWW

I've been in electronics repair for nearly 20 years now dealing mostly with barcode scanners and handheld computers. I've seen some strange things that can't be explained. EEPROM's fail, they glitch, and then they can work fine again. Most times they are rock solid but every once in a while they can do some weird crap.

Thu May 29, 2014 7:43 am

jkwool wrote:
Hb3butler wrote:

Are you using the default 'Target AFR' map? This is found on the 'Target AFR' tab in the AutoTune screen? Depending on the usage of the bike, local conditions, fuel used, modifications to the bike etc you may require a richer or different Target AFR map.

The default Target AFR map provided is a starting point which can be easily adjusted to suit your circumstances or tuning preferences. To adjust just click on the "Target AFR" Tab in the AutoTune screen, you can select the cells and make changes like any other map in WRT, the software will prompt you to save the modified Target AFR map and it will default back to the modified Target AFR map the next time you open the AutoTune screen. You could start by lowering (lower number is richer mixture) the Target AFR by 0.2, test by logging some data and AutoTuning.

I will look at that. another issue just arose.... O2 sensor is not reading... What do I do to troubleshoot?

Thu May 29, 2014 9:15 am

Still waiting on my ECU and harness from Justin .. Maybe the boat sunk ? :dunno:

Thu May 29, 2014 9:23 am

SmokinZX14 wrote:
Still waiting on my ECU and harness from Justin .. Maybe the boat sunk ? :dunno:

Hey Lee, check the tracking code link i sent you in the private message, it arrived at JFK airport in the US a week ago. It cant be too far away?

Thu May 29, 2014 9:26 am
Profile WWW

Hb3butler wrote:
I will look at that. another issue just arose.... O2 sensor is not reading... What do I do to troubleshoot?

Is the orange light on the Zeitronix ZT-3 flashing? If not check your wiring harness for the Zeitronix. If it is check the RJ12 cable that goes from the Zeitronix to the Log Box Pro. You can monitor the AFR in the Engine Data Screen while you are fault finding.

Thu May 29, 2014 9:29 am
Profile WWW

jkwool wrote:
SmokinZX14 wrote:

Hey Lee, check the tracking code link i sent you in the private message, it arrived at JFK airport in the US a week ago. It cant be too far away?
JFK airport ? ... Oh shit I may never see it again .. :shock:

Thu May 29, 2014 9:31 am

SmokinZX14 wrote:
jkwool wrote:
SmokinZX14 wrote:

JFK airport ? ... Oh shit I may never see it again .. :shock:

ha ha ha dont worry we have not lost any packages sent to the states yet... I would have thought you would have seen it by now.

Thu May 29, 2014 9:37 am
Profile WWW

jkwool wrote:
Hb3butler wrote:

Is the orange light on the Zeitronix ZT-3 flashing? If not check your wiring harness for the Zeitronix. If it is check the RJ12 cable that goes from the Zeitronix to the Log Box Pro. You can monitor the AFR in the Engine Data Screen while you are fault finding.

I have the AFR gauge and have the engine data screen open and neither are registering values.

Thu May 29, 2014 9:37 am

Hb3butler wrote:
jkwool wrote:
Hb3butler wrote:

I have the AFR gauge and have the engine data screen open and neither are registering values.

So if the AFR gauge and Engine Data are not showing any values, it would be either the Zeitronix power supply wiring or a problem with the RJ12 cable between the Zeitronix and the Gauge/LBP. I would suggest you unplug the RJ12 cables (and splitter) and just connect the gauge directly to see if that registers data. should be something simple.

Thu May 29, 2014 9:41 am
Profile WWW

As an aside, not sure if you guys follow racing outside the USA, but the Isle of Man TT is on over the next week or so. Woolich Racing have several customers bikes running in various classes over the course of the TT. Most notable is the Dave Molyneux Race team who we are sponsoring, they are running a ZX10R (Ryan Kneen), ZX6R(Ryan Kneen) and sidecar (Dave Molyneux). Dave Molyneux has won the Isle of Man TT 16 times and is the most successful sidecar racer in the history at the TT. http://molyneuxracing.blogspot.com.au/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Molyneux

Our UK reseller RB Engineering also have several bikes running that have been tuned using Woolich Racing products, most notable being Karl Harris on a ZX6R in the Supersport 600.

We will be posting updates over the course of the TT on our facebook page, check out Ryan Kneen's 6th gear wheelie on our facebook page, needless to say he is pretty happy with how the bike is running :) https://www.facebook.com/WoolichRacing

Thu May 29, 2014 10:50 am
Profile WWW

So if the AFR gauge and Engine Data are not showing any values, it would be either the Zeitronix power supply wiring or a problem with the RJ12 cable between the Zeitronix and the Gauge/LBP. I would suggest you unplug the RJ12 cables (and splitter) and just connect the gauge directly to see if that registers data. should be something simple.[/quote]

Still nothing. hooked the gauge directly into the zeitronix and get three dashes on gauge after it goes through startup sequence. I thought maybe the gauge was the issue and hooked back into the LBP and still not reading AFR.

Thu May 29, 2014 10:56 am

Hb3butler wrote:
So if the AFR gauge and Engine Data are not showing any values, it would be either the Zeitronix power supply wiring or a problem with the RJ12 cable between the Zeitronix and the Gauge/LBP. I would suggest you unplug the RJ12 cables (and splitter) and just connect the gauge directly to see if that registers data. should be something simple.

Still nothing. hooked the gauge directly into the zeitronix and get three dashes on gauge after it goes through startup sequence. I thought maybe the gauge was the issue and hooked back into the LBP and still not reading AFR.[/quote]
So it seems the problem is with the Zeitronix ZT-3.

You are getting power to the Gauge which is good as it would suggest that the power supply harness is ok. Is the orange LED flashing on the Zeirtonix ZT-3? This would generally indicate that the ZT-3 is sending data correctly.

There would have been an additional cable that came with the Zeitronix that would allow you to connect the Zeitronix to your computer to check the configuration, you could try connecting this and seeing if the Zeitronix is reading the AFR signal from the O2 sensor. You may need to install their software and you will also need a RS-232 port to connect this cable.

It could also be worth contacting Zeirtonix directly as they will be able to offer you support on how to fault find their product. http://zeitronix.com/

Thu May 29, 2014 11:29 am
Profile WWW

jkwool wrote:
Hb3butler wrote:

Still nothing. hooked the gauge directly into the zeitronix and get three dashes on gauge after it goes through startup sequence. I thought maybe the gauge was the issue and hooked back into the LBP and still not reading AFR.

So it seems the problem is with the Zeitronix ZT-3.

You are getting power to the Gauge which is good as it would suggest that the power supply harness is ok. Is the orange LED flashing on the Zeirtonix ZT-3? This would generally indicate that the ZT-3 is sending data correctly.

There would have been an additional cable that came with the Zeitronix that would allow you to connect the Zeitronix to your computer to check the configuration, you could try connecting this and seeing if the Zeitronix is reading the AFR signal from the O2 sensor. You may need to install their software and you will also need a RS-232 port to connect this cable.

It could also be worth contacting Zeirtonix directly as they will be able to offer you support on how to fault find their product. http://zeitronix.com/[/quote]

Contacted Zeitronix and will be shipping them my zt-3. thanks for the quick response to this issue.

Thu May 29, 2014 12:16 pm

Hb3butler wrote:
Contacted Zeitronix and will be shipping them my zt-3. thanks for the quick response to this issue.

Ok no problems, shoot me an email when you find out what the issue is as we have not had any issues to date with the Zeitronix Wideband's

Thu May 29, 2014 12:38 pm
Profile WWW

Hey Lee, i just got a notification to say that your package was just delivered? good timing :)

Thu May 29, 2014 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 437 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next