View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Member "TH1RT3EN" down! 

Nice!

Patrick

Past:
2012 Green SE ZX-14R - Totaled on 03/28/2013 (caused by a 19 year old driver)
2009 Green ZX-14 - Sold

2007 Blue ZX-14 - Sold
2008 KFX 450R - Sold
2006 Silver ZZR600 - Totaled on 10-31-2007 (caused by a 17 year old driver)

Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:32 pm

Hello fellow board members..

It has now been 6 months to the day from when my 14 was smashed into pieces by the negligence of a jackass. Boy O' Boy what a screwed up journey this is turning out to be. So far I have now had 3 surgery's to fix my left femur, The initial surgery to try to put together a jigsaw puzzle, the second surgery to remove a screw that decided it didn’t want to stay in place and then....... For some unknown reason all the screws that were in the lower portion of my femur broke. There were 3 titanium screws going through the knuckle of my femur right above my knee also passing through a titanium pin. I went and had X-Ray's done on the 4th of this month and low and behold the screws were in 6 pieces. So they scheduled me in to have all the hardware removed and new bigger hardware put back in. My femur was not healing up like it should and the doc really had no insight for me as to why things weren't going like they were initially planned. So now I’m back on crutches AGAIN and trying to work my way back to using a cane so i can hopefully eventually walk like a normal person again.

It has been very difficult for me the past few months, we have had AWESOME weather here and i miss riding so much. About a month ago I was hanging out with a buddy who rides. I decided to toss my leg over and have a seat. It took me a minute or two to figure out how I was going to hop on, but eventually I did. Thankfully he left it on the side stand and I never attempted to put my full weight on my left leg. But after I sat down and got comfortable everything set in. I went to grab the clip-on’s and get into the normal riding stance. You would have thought I started having a mini seizure or a severe case of Parkinson’s. The only thing that was going through my head was the few moments before the crash that started this whole mess. Thankfully my buddy was standing right there beside me and helped me to regain my composure and come back to reality. He helped me off the bike and handed me my cane and i went and sat down.

I never thought in my life that I would ever go through any of this shit. I always looked at things from a different point of view. Now I have a completely different outlook on life and the little things that make everything worthwhile. Hopefully no one else has to go through this shit and hopefully you guys are able to avoid the idiots on the road and have a safe, fun & relaxing journey on 2 wheels. I miss the freedom and feeling of being out on the road with the wind in your face and the humm of a sweet exhaust note. And yes I am jealous of all you guys who wake up one morning grab your gear and hit the road for a day of riding. One day I WILL get back on 2 wheels, and I WILL get my life back to the way it was.

Everyone,
Be safe and watch out for the idiots on the road!! :)

Patrick

Past:
2009 Green ZX-14 - Sold

2007 Blue ZX-14 - Sold
2008 KFX 450R - Sold

Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:43 am

Pretty amazing story mate.
You will ride again. The pics show you took a hard hit man .
Your a Champion to be walking at all so a little time on the sidelines will be ok while you mend.
Its guys like you that keep me getting out of bed each day.
The body will mend.
Once your back in the saddle so will the mind..

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:56 am

Sorry to hear things are not going as you planned. Hang in there and hopefully soon you'll be back in the saddle!

Kofla

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:59 am
Profile WWW

Hang in there Patrick. This is one of the many reasons I don't ride on the street anymore. Too many distracted and irresponsible drivers. I drive 35k miles per year for my job and it still amazes me, the bullshit people pull while driving.

Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:49 am

Thanks guys, I am trying not to be a downer or someone with a constant negative outlook on things.
Thanks for the thoughts and for the feedback, It is appreciated.

Keeping a positive outlook on life is challenging at times, If we try to make the best of things it will keep our spirits higher and good things are bound to come eventually...

Patrick

Past:
2009 Green ZX-14 - Sold

2007 Blue ZX-14 - Sold
2008 KFX 450R - Sold

Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:31 am

Hey Patrick......hope you get better real soon. Would love to see you get back in the saddle enjoying some of those beautiful country roads in Indiana.

Charles

Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:34 am

Hey Patrick,

Good to hear from you! I hate that things are taking longer than expected. Glad to see you keeping a positive attitude. Things will get better and if you really want it you will ride again.

How We Got Started

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:57 pm

Hello Friends and fellow Board members!
Extremely long time since I have been here. I see we still have a lot of the same old timers and quite a few new comers. Its absolutely awesome to see this forum still moving forward with awesome people.

I just wanted to stop by and Say thank you to everyone for the thoughts and wishes when I was going through what I did. It all helped me trudge through the bad times and move forward.

I also just wanted to throw some info out there for any of the new riders that maybe be hitting the streets on the best bike brand available KAWASAKI!!

As some of you know I had a 19 year old kid abruptly turn in front of me one evening as I was traveling home. I ended up t-boning him and totaling the bike and really screwing myself up. Thankfully I am still alive and able to be here today to talk about it. However I want to share some food for thought for anyone who is out there riding on the streets. I now look at things from the other side of the coin where as before I took quite a bit for granted. So now I feel the need to pass along my story in hopes someone might find it helpful.

The kid that turned out in front of me did have insurance. The insurance policy he carried was a $100,000 policy. (keep this in mind)
This kid did not own anything, No house, No car (the car he was operating was in his mothers name), No assets of any kind. With that being said since he had no asset value the maximum payout that was available for the accident was 100,000. If the kid was a minor things would have been different due to the fact that his mother would have been financially responsible for him until he turned 18. Since he was 19 this was not the case.

After all of the injuries I sustained I ended up with medical bills totaling $243,000+, this does not include any lost wages from being off of work for 3 & 1/2 months, or any other costs that were incurred by me like prescriptions, and specific items needed due to injuries and all that crap. If I were to put a dollar value with everything included it would be close to $300,000.

My insurance company (State Farm) settled with me on the bike in a matter of 3 to 4 weeks if I remember correctly. I had State Farm settle the bike because I felt better having them fight with his insurance company instead of myself. The bike I owned was a 2012 ZX14r. I had a crap ton of accessories and upgrades done to it at the time. State farm paid me a little over $18,000 for the bike. State farm valued the cost of the bike at $13,000 since that was NADA's value at the time of the wreck. Then I was able to get a print out of replacement cost for every accessory I had installed on the bike. State farm then paid me for the replacement cost of all of the accessories.
The one main down fall with state farm and any of their motorcycle policy's is the medical payments coverage. Any policy state farm offers for medical payments coverage is only $1,000. They will not pay any more towards any medical costs. The policy holder is responsible for any and all costs incurred after the initial $1,000. This is how State farm is able to offer such low premiums for motorcycle coverage.

Initially I wanted to try and battle his insurance company on my own. I quickly realized that I was in way over my head. I contacted a lawyer that I was referred to by a co-worker. And thankfully he was able to take care of everything and get things better positioned for me. After everything was all said and done the lawyer practically cut his fees down to nothing and h was able to get the hospitals, doctors, surgeons, and every one else to cut their fees down also, He ended up having everything medical cost around $55,000 which came out of the policy cap of $100,000. So in the end things turned out much better than it could have.

Now you always hear people saying "I would sue that s.o.b. .... Blah blah blah" I don't think most people are educated on the aspect of legal matters. Sure I could have sued the kid for plenty of damages that I incurred. However since the kid had no assets of any kind he had no monetary value to me what so ever. It would have cost me around $14,000 after court fees and lawyer fees to sue him. Then all the kid would have had to do was file bankruptcy to clear all his debt and I would be left hanging and responsible for footing the bill for the work completed.
So before someone just responds with the whole "sue him" crap do a little research.

Now the main point of this entire story.......
(I know I am going to get all kinds of crap for this but..........)
I rode on the street for 6 years without a helmet (I have 7 years of riding experience). I personally didn't like them. I didn't like the way they felt, how heavy they were or anything.
The evening the accident occurred (March 28th 2013) it was a bit chilly. I was riding over to a friends house to say hello and hang out for a bit. I thought to myself before I left that I would probably be returning after sunset. And I know after the sun goes down the temp drops too. I then decided I had better wear my lid to avoid getting a brain freeze and watery eyes. And that one decision is what saved my life. I ended up with 4 skull fractures even with wearing the helmet. So if I hadn't been wearing it that night my brains would have been splattered all over the side of his Jeep Cherokee. The leather icon jacket I was wearing help up awesome, the zipper in the front was a little jacked up and the arms were scuffed. But the CE armor in the jacket did its job and helped me out. I was wearing jeans and shoes at the time also and they stood their ground.

So please, PLEASE when ever you go out to enjoy the passion you have ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear the right PPE! Even if you think your helmet is too intrusive, or too bothersome. Wear it anyway! If you don't like it then go to a shop and try on 20 different helmet brands. I know there is one out there that will fit your desires. If the price tag is too much than start saving. Just make the helmet a priority before the new exhaust or any other accessory you have your mind set on. If you don't than its possible you will only enjoy the new additions for very short time.

I am so very thankful I was wearing my helmet that night. Because yesterday I was able to sit down at the table and celebrate my sons 13th birthday. and tomorrow I get to celebrate x-mas with him. I also get to see his awesome grades in school, and all his efforts paying off in orchestra class in school. All of these things would have been done without me if chose to leave the helmet at home that night.

Everyone be safe out on the streets! Pay attention to everything and have the most enjoyable and safe travels possible!
Enjoy the time you get to spend with your friends and family, and always remember things can change in an instant.

Be safe and have a Happy Holiday!!

Patrick

Past:
2009 Green ZX-14 - Sold

2007 Blue ZX-14 - Sold
2008 KFX 450R - Sold

Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:57 am

Patrick,

Thanks for taking the time to do this write up. Glad to see that you are going to make it through all this! I know that it has been tougher than any of us can imagine.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!

Lucky

Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:46 pm

Merry Christmas Patrick.....great to hear from you.... :) :thumbs:

Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:17 pm

Thanks for sharing! Gear is always critical.... You never need it until you really need it then its too late!
Merry christmas & happy holidays! Stay Safe

2015 30th Anniversary Edition 14R #250-> Brock's CT Ceramic Coated, PCV w/Ivan's Map, Ivan's ECU Flash V2, Block off plates, WB2 w/lcd, HM Strain gauge quickshifter, GPR Damper, Spiegler lines, Muzzy's Sliders, Pazzo levers, Rizoma Next Fluid Tanks, DDM Ultra 5500K HID's Low & Hi, DB Windscreen, Cox Radiator guard, gold titanium bolts... too many to list at this point

Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:46 pm

So very glad to hear from you again Patrick. Very happy your able to spend Christmas with your family better off than you were months ago.

Merry Christmas and thanks for the heads up on what many (me for sure) take for granted and choose to not think about.

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:54 pm

Thanks guys!

Merry Christmas to all your friends and family!
May you enjoy your days to the fullest!!

(I will be buying another bike.. right now my Son has me shooting for a 2021 zx14r cause he will then be 18 years old. So don't count me out of the ownership crowd just yet.. I'm just eagerly watching from the sidelines.)

Patrick

Past:
2009 Green ZX-14 - Sold

2007 Blue ZX-14 - Sold
2008 KFX 450R - Sold

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2