View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Don't power wheelie on 2nd gear WOT,is it normal? 

Long post .....apologize for my poor English

Greeting to you all. I am from Taiwan . From bike land to this forum , reading your resourceful posts had inspired me to buy my first super bike 2008 zx14 (used) then switch to zx14r in 2012 . What an amazing it was and still is though .....My 2012 zx14r with Brock CT dual quiet core exhaust, PCV street map, Gulh flash 2 , Brock cluth mode. Race filter and standard wheelbase . Current odometer over 28000km (~17500miles ). When it was new the bike even in stock form would power wheelie in 2nd gear with WOT . (Of course KTRC off). I am not sure when the power lost begun because I never drag race. I gradually found my bike's throttle became sluggish then I try 2nd gear WOT and it will not power wheelie as it use to . I have no access to dyno, cannot tell how much is the power lost . I don't pampered my bike, my bike would see couples of redline each trip I took 70km (44miles) to and fro. Will seen at least 230-250km/hr (around 140-150miles/hr) each time I took her out. Fuel consumption around 10-11km/liter (~25miles/gallon) ,a little worst after the pipe, ECU +PCV (done a lot of WOT in 4 th gear and braking, brake pads last about 9000km (~5600miles) ~~if this means I am aggressive street driver)
Spark plugs still new about 8000km after last changed. Oil change about every 3500km (~2200miles) air filter just cleaned. Done throttle valve synchronise recently but in vain. I believe my clutch is still ok because RPM rise synchro with tachometer when hard acceleration.
What is wrong with my zx14r?
Is it
1: normal ? Because power will fade like this the way I use my bike , and most bikes of you guy also behave this way after 3 years of aggressive riding
2: need valves clearance check ?( not due according to the manual I will need it after another 10000 miles or so)
3: or any other suggestions of surveys I should carry out to solve this problem ?

Thank you.

Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:43 pm

I could be wrong but it sounds like it's time to rebuild your bottom end

Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:54 am

Thanks for your replay. So it seems normal wear and tear with no easy fix, and I have to rebuild the engine. If so , I think another option is to sell it cheap.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:30 am

The first thing that I would do is run some injector cleaner through it, especially if you haven't done that lately, we have seen as much as 15 horsepower loss on the dyno due to dirty injectors. Here is a link to the Wynn's Power Charge on our website, we have had great results with it. This is a good inexpensive place to start. http://www.brocksperformance.com/Wynns-Power-Charge-+I771175+C80.aspx

Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:52 am

Thanks Brock! You should find all my upgrade bought from you with 15 %tax shipping to oversea. ( I believe not many buying from you from Taiwan) Actually I run several brand of fuel injector, valve cleaner and etc , the exhaust seem cleaner, but power regain is minimal.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:14 am

I see that you have also purchased the noise reduction plugs for your exhaust. They do a great job quieting the exhaust down however, especially on the ZX14R, they do significantly affect horsepower. If you take those out you will instantly notice a difference.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:36 am

Yes of course I did bought that from you. I am not sure the plugs affect the horsepower, initially 2nd gear WOT with the plugs in could power wheelie the bike. I ask my mechanic what to do next, he doesn't know. Bike is running good except for slight decrease in power. I done the mode also hoping to crack 200+ with sprocket change one day, I doubt it still can run that max speed. ...

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:04 am

I would check the stack height on the clutch. It sounds like it is running through the clutch.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:57 am

+1, try it with the noise reduction plugs removed... I bet it lift up in 2nd easy...

2015 30th Anniversary Edition 14R #250-> Brock's CT Ceramic Coated, PCV w/Ivan's Map, Ivan's ECU Flash V2, Block off plates, WB2 w/lcd, HM Strain gauge quickshifter, GPR Damper, Spiegler lines, Muzzy's Sliders, Pazzo levers, Rizoma Next Fluid Tanks, DDM Ultra 5500K HID's Low & Hi, DB Windscreen, Cox Radiator guard, gold titanium bolts... too many to list at this point

Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:40 pm

Something is not right ... I have a zx14r with 50,000 miles on it setting in my shop , it runs faster than it did when new ...

I would reload the map ( make sure you have the street and strip map in the bike ) Also check and reset the TPS using the PCV program ..

I would also check the clutches ...

Run some good injector cleaner ..

Make sure your air box is not full of oil ...Ask brock about that one :)

Check your chain and sprockets , if they are going bad they will rob HP ..

Make sure you are running the lowest possible octane without spark knock ( 89 ).. Higher than 89 you will lose some HP ..

run a compression check ( pretty easy to do ) that will tell you if you have real engine problems like rings or tight valves ..

Check you valve clearance , it should be fine but you should check them to rule out any problems tight valves ..

What I have found in the past is people get used to the power of the zx14r and feel it's slower , when it is really making more power than when they got the bike ..( That is if all the service has been maintained )..

Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:27 pm

Seno wrote:
+1, try it with the noise reduction plugs removed... I bet it lift up in 2nd easy...

My exhaust is full system Brock dual CT quiet core, I add two plugs to further reduce the noise, (in expense of few ponies loss of horsepower according to Brock s website) but my bike did not suffer power loss after the plug. Nevertheless I will try this easy fix ( few thing I can do without the help of my mechanic...) to see what power gain I miss , after that I will plug it back.
Thanks for your suggestion.

Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:00 am

Fletch wrote:
I would check the stack height on the clutch. It sounds like it is running through the clutch.

Thanks for your reply. I alway suspect the clutch might play some role in this. The clutch fluid drop is significant during several months period, Actually this come as the first or second priority after I done my vacuum synchro . But I ask my mechanic and he said no significant slippage. The tachometer and RPM are synchronised, different with the situation when I installed the Brock clutch and spring mod to correct the slippage noted in 5-6 gear high RPM . I think I will get the clutch replacement in near future and if I do, I am going to install the slipper clutch back because I do not drag race.

Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:03 am

Thank you smoking Lee.
My bike modding was inspired mostly by you after following your achievements with this bike that 'change the rules of fast. ' I know I could have got a smoking deal if I ordered all the Brocks upgrade from you in the first place but ordering from oversea without any experience and I had to bordered one with many questions about the process of buying, I turn to Brock customers service which is hard to beat. I think Brock should pay you for the contribution you made , cause you are like living advertisements for zx14r..

SmokinZX14 wrote:
Something is not right ... I have a zx14r with 50,000 miles on it setting in my shop , it runs faster than it did when new ...
(I believe this bike should have endure my type of riding without major failure because I am not abusive though not pampered my bike. )

I would reload the map ( make sure you have the street and strip map in the bike ) Also check and reset the TPS using the PCV program ..

(I done this reloading map before , to solve other problem for o2 sensor, a guy from Australia solve that problem from zx14 forum but that was another story due to different spec of zx14r world wide. Not know what is resetting TPS but worth a try to reload the map. )

I would also check the clutches ...
( since clutch was brought up twice , maybe I should change the clutch pad next oil change, the clutch would cost about 200 us.i think I should spend this..)

Run some good injector cleaner ..
(Done that several times )

Make sure your air box is not full of oil ...Ask brock about that one :)
( wow , I really has suspicion about this because a little plastic containers of my bike noted to collect about 1-2 cc of oil, no increase of amount recently . Is it has to do with the Brock air filter or the PAIR valve which we have to plug on the left side as suggested by Brock ?)

Check your chain and sprockets , if they are going bad they will rob HP ..
( I will have the dealer mechanic to check it next time )

Make sure you are running the lowest possible octane without spark knock ( 89 ).. Higher than 89 you will lose some HP ..
(Here in Taiwan we have 98, 95. I always use 98 , I guess power loss is not related cause I always use the same gasoline. Now I know which is better. Thanks)

run a compression check ( pretty easy to do ) that will tell you if you have real engine problems like rings or tight valves ..
( sorry I have limited knowledge about mechanic, I will ask the dealers mechanic if they can perform this check )

Check you valve clearance , it should be fine but you should check them to rule out any problems tight valves ..
(When I have problems, I look at the manual. After vacuum synchronised which I have the dealers mechanic done for me, this come up next. I actually asked the mechanic about this and he said the valves clearance not likely will cause the problem I had partly because my bike only has 28000km , not close to recommended checking period. Well I think I have to spend this money if I am going to look deeper into this )

What I have found in the past is people get used to the power of the zx14r and feel it's slower , when it is really making more power than when they got the bike ..( That is if all the service has been maintained )..

Wish I have access to a dyno, I would satisfy with wheel Horse power 190 with the modification I made . I believe second gear WOT wheelie of standard wheal base will tell me if it still holds its own in power department. Other than this ,my bike run perfect)

Well , I will look into these directions one by one, not immediately cause I have work to do, if I have any progress , I will let you all know.

Thank you

Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:05 am

Have you had your valves adjusted? A tight valve or two can subtly rob you of some horsepower. (And eventually burn the valve and seat)

Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:57 am

ZERO wrote:
Have you had your valves adjusted? A tight valve or two can subtly rob you of some horsepower. (And eventually burn the valve and seat)

Now , valve clearance has been brought out twice, and what you said make sense- subtle loss of power is a what I experienced now, not major issue. That is why I would choose to avoid major repairs ( of course it is about money). Because the list to check goes on--I hope to resolve this problem with pin point accuracy but I think a thorough survey is inevitable. My list of priorities would be valve clearance and clutch, seem I have to place valve clearance in the first place. I wish I live near smokin. Ha, Ha!. Ah , I never had the dealer mechanic touch anything inside the motor other than regular oil change about every 2500 miles, Brock clutch and Spring modification , flashed ECU and full pipe.
Thanks for your reply

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:07 pm

How many miles on the clutch?

wee

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:41 pm

Wheelie wrote:
How many miles on the clutch?

wee

Now near 29000km that is 18000 miles. Never replace the clutch

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:27 pm

I bet wee and a couple others are on the right track.

My guess also is it could be due for a new clutch.
I'd replace it with an all new pack just to eliminate that as a possible issue even if the parts and stack height measure ok.

Mine has 15K miles and over a slight rise in the road will start to wheelie in 4th (or more correctly - carry the front wheel), let alone 3rd or 2nd.
I am due for plugs and a valve adjustment, however.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:56 am

rod442 wrote:
I bet wee and a couple others are on the right track.

My guess also is it could be due for a new clutch.
I'd replace it with an all new pack just to eliminate that as a possible issue even if the parts and stack height measure ok.

Mine has 15K miles and over a slight rise in the road will start to wheelie in 4th (or more correctly - carry the front wheel), let alone 3rd or 2nd.
I am due for plugs and a valve adjustment, however.

Wow , your bike is powerful. Interesting , now I am to narrowing down to do the clutch or valve clearance or do it both. I will discuss with the mechanic. If doing the clutch ,I will wait till next oil change.
Thanks

Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:20 am

Its no more powerful than a bike with the same mods. You have the same basic setup I have.

I'm not saying it will pull the front wheel to 12 oclock in 4th, but it will carry it for a ways.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:01 pm

rod442 wrote:
Its no more powerful than a bike with the same mods. You have the same basic setup I have.

I'm not saying it will pull the front wheel to 12 oclock in 4th, but it will carry it for a ways.

Not sure if the difference of mine to you guys is due to different spec of bike ( mine is a California spec with a co2 canisters and also a o2 sensor in the exhaust system ) or individual bike minor differences, mine was never as strong as yours because it had never perform your tricks at its peak performance or I was not riding it aggressive enough.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:10 pm

CLEAN YOUR AIR FITLER

Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]