View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Questions from a long time busa owner, looking at 14r 

I have been a long time busa owner and now I am really looking at the 14r. I actually know smokin (Lee) and Steddy Teddy, they both race at my local tracks. I have a gen 1 busa 1397 (Lee/Ted will prob recognize the gloss/flat black combo and me with all the tattoos and size lol. 5'8" 255 suited power lifter/bodybuilder). Hi guys!!! Anywho, I am currently street riding a zx12 and its a mother to work on compared to the busa. I have done 2 busa transmissions and could have the motor out/apart/ready to go together in an afternoon. I have been doing a TON of research on the 14r. It seems like a great machine, but alot of the sites I go on (psychobike etc) say they take alot of additional work to get track ready. Such as removing the positive neutral finder, along with a list of other things including alot of weight reduction. Most "sites" are saying the zx14r doesnt have the bullet proof engine the busa does. I really like the looks of the 14r and am amazed at some of the things people (including Lee) are accomplishing with these machines. I actually had a gen 1 14 (2006) and it seemed more comfortable to me than the busa as well. I guess I am looking for feedback from anyone who has had (or not had) issues with the "non bullet proof engine". How is the transmission on the 14r? Does it have the typical 2nd gear problem alot of bikes do? How do they like spray? I would really like to throw 40-60 shot on it down the road. I am looking for a 14r that wont be a dedicated track bike but will see the track several times a year. So I would really like real world feedback form you street/strip guys as far as reliability/comfort/etc. Thank you very much from a hopefully 14r owner to come!!

Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:27 pm

Whats up man! Welcome to the forum! I can't speak for anyone else but I did exactly what you're wanting to do. I bought a 14R and made it a dedicated track bike. For a bigger guy you will probably need more setup than I did, but it all depends on how far you want to go. It really doesn't take much setup at all. Just basics, lowering links, drop the forks a bit, Arm, pipe and gear. AT your weight you will probably need to work on your shock unless you plan on buying aftermarket right off the bat. These bikes are easy to go fast on.

As for nitrous, you will get 2 sides. Some say they have sprayed for a long time on a stock motor without issues, and some say it didn't last long before they hurt it. The stock valve springs are weak to say the least. I'm planning on spraying mine next year, but will have valve springs and head studs.

The trans on mine works pretty well. Every once in a while the shifter won't return after I hit second but it doesn't happen often.

Stiff clutch springs or the Brocks clutch mod needs to be the first thing you do. The stock springs are SO weak.

Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:24 pm

:welcome: :clap:

Not much you need to do ... The trans is the best , tuff as a rock .... Brocks clutch mod is needed ( heavy springs and slipper removed ) Good pipe and tune along with a ECU flash is all you need to go real fast .. 50 shot is more than safe , get above that and add some 62 pounds springs and retainers ..

At your weight a good shock will be a must , you can run without it as many have and still ran good numbers ..But a good shock with the right spring for your weight will help your 60 foots and help from spinning on the top end of the track ..It will also help with wheelies out of the hole .. :vroom:

The engine is one tuff cookie ... Two things that will keep you from having a problem ... One , run the oil to the top line of the sight glass, guys that run it at the lower line will have rod bearing problems .. Two ,The biggest killer on rod bearings is burning up a clutch to fast ..If you take out a clutch in 10 passes or so it will clog up the oil pickup and starve the engine for oil ...But if you wear out a clutch in 150 passes it is not a problem because the clutch particles are small and will pass the oil pick up screen and get caught in the oil filter and cause no damage ..

Lee ... :thumbs:

Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:59 pm

bgmagma10 wrote:
Whats up man! Welcome to the forum! I can't speak for anyone else but I did exactly what you're wanting to do. I bought a 14R and made it a dedicated track bike. For a bigger guy you will probably need more setup than I did, but it all depends on how far you want to go. It really doesn't take much setup at all. Just basics, lowering links, drop the forks a bit, Arm, pipe and gear. AT your weight you will probably need to work on your shock unless you plan on buying aftermarket right off the bat. These bikes are easy to go fast on.

As for nitrous, you will get 2 sides. Some say they have sprayed for a long time on a stock motor without issues, and some say it didn't last long before they hurt it. The stock valve springs are weak to say the least. I'm planning on spraying mine next year, but will have valve springs and head studs.

The trans on mine works pretty well. Every once in a while the shifter won't return after I hit second but it doesn't happen often.

Stiff clutch springs or the Brocks clutch mod needs to be the first thing you do. The stock springs are SO weak.
I have the fix for your shifter arm not returning ... Been there , done that :bigthumb:

Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:02 pm

Thanks guys!! Answered alot of my questions. Ill definitely be hitting you up Lee when I get my hands on one. You are right around the corner from me!!

Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:09 pm

SmokinZX14 wrote:
bgmagma10 wrote:

I have the fix for your shifter arm not returning ... Been there , done that :bigthumb:

Oh yeah whats that? A stronger spring on the detent arm or what? LIke I said it doesn't happen often on mine, but it has screwed me out of some races. lol dammit

Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:15 pm

bgmagma10 wrote:
SmokinZX14 wrote:
bgmagma10 wrote:

Oh yeah whats that? A stronger spring on the detent arm or what? LIke I said it doesn't happen often on mine, but it has screwed me out of some races. lol dammit
what the problem is the arm doesn't return in time for the next shift ... By using a larger air switching valve from dyno tune it will return faster for the next shift ... It has bigger ports that lets the air out faster so it returns quicker ..

Attachments:
shifter_valve_large.jpg
shifter_valve_large.jpg [ 10.39 KiB | Viewed 544 times ]
Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:04 pm

^ That thing works!

wee

Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:22 pm

That is valuable info right there......must be worth dinner at least..... :bigthumb:

Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:34 pm

:thumbs: :lol:
Warbird wrote:
That is valuable info right there......must be worth dinner at least..... :bigthumb:

Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:07 pm

all these reasons to look at the Zx14 plus its common knowledge the chicks dig the 14 over the 'busa Image

Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:38 pm

SmokinZX14 wrote:
Warbird wrote:

Well I only had the issue when I was foot shifting. Now with the air shifter i don't believe it has happened since. If it does I will definitely get one of those. Thanks Lee!

Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:53 pm

Ok guys got some new questions after doing more research. I am not putting these bikes down at all just trying to be as informed as possible. I have read that the oil pump cover is weak and needs an aftermarket one installed that is fairly costly to install.

Also Lee, when you are talking about burning up a clutch in 10 passes, are you referring to someone that doesnt launch properly and rides the clutch out too long? Is this ever an issue with street riding?

Also was told that a Guhl flash is $500. Is a power commander needed in addition to the flash or will that control fuel, nitrous etc? Also read about ecu's being damaged when flashing?

Also saw the thread regarding surging after doing a gear change. From a quick read it seems a TRE is the solution, is that correct? Can a Guhl flash resolve this issue?

I also read about having to remove ball bearings from the transmission or the bike is hard to shift into second when hot??

Heard of several frames breaking as well??

Saw several engines blow up with not very many miles, is this due to the oil level or ??

I was really hoping to get a used one but now after reading about some of the things discussed here such as running the oil to the top line of the sight glass, it has me really concerned about buying used. I know you never know when buying used, but if the bike is somewhat temperamental I would be really concerned if the previous owner did things like keep the oil at the top line etc.

I am just asking for honest feedback. I know every bike has some sort of issues. One of the long time issues for the busa has always been the transmission. Thanks for any and all feedback guys!

Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:10 pm

cbibb wrote:
Ok guys got some new questions after doing more research. I am not putting these bikes down at all just trying to be as informed as possible. I have read that the oil pump cover is weak and needs an aftermarket one installed that is fairly costly to install.
Nobody I race with ever had to change the cover ...
Also Lee, when you are talking about burning up a clutch in 10 passes, are you referring to someone that doesnt launch properly and rides the clutch out too long? Is this ever an issue with street riding?
I'm talking a about guys that are not any good with the clutch at the drag strip
Also was told that a Guhl flash is $500. Is a power commander needed in addition to the flash or will that control fuel, nitrous etc? Also read about ecu's being damaged when flashing?
Flash is 375.00 and that includes fueling if you like ..You can have two maps ... Don has never damaged a ECU ..
Also saw the thread regarding surging after doing a gear change. From a quick read it seems a TRE is the solution, is that correct? Can a Guhl flash resolve this issue?
It happens to some bikes , not all .. TRE will fix the problem if you do have a problem ..

I also read about having to remove ball bearings from the transmission or the bike is hard to shift into second when hot??
Not true ..ZX14 trans are rock solid ..
Heard of several frames breaking as well??
2006 and 2007 recalled , frame changed for free ..No problem with newer models..

Saw several engines blow up with not very many miles, is this due to the oil level or ??
Oil level and burnt up clutches to fast ..
I was really hoping to get a used one but now after reading about some of the things discussed here such as running the oil to the top line of the sight glass, it has me really concerned about buying used. I know you never know when buying used, but if the bike is somewhat temperamental I would be really concerned if the previous owner did things like keep the oil at the top line etc.

I am just asking for honest feedback. I know every bike has some sort of issues. One of the long time issues for the busa has always been the transmission. Thanks for any and all feedback guys!
Sold my 2006 ZX14 after 5000 passes , the guy I sold it to still has it with 70,000 miles on it now ..Still runs great ... My 2009 had 2500 runs and still runs great... My 2012 set records and still runs great... But I do take care of my bikes .. :) Can't say what others do... :(

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:38 pm

Lee, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to answer all of the questions I asked. After doing more research I am still going with the 14. I may have not been super clear on what I intend on doing with the bike. It will be a 95% street bike. Will prob see the strip 10-12 times a year. I was more comfortable on a gen 1 zx14 with lowering pegs and gen mar risers than I was on my busas. I am the same way with my bikes, I am very meticulous about how I care for them. Again Lee, and others I greatly appreciate the feedback.

Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]