View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 2012 Front sprocket nut removal? 

I'm trying to remove the front sprocket and can't loosen the nut. I bent the locking tab back and with my wife standing on the brakes and a 20" breaker bar I still can't free the nut. I don't have access to a compressor at home. Am I missing something or can I try a little heat on the nut? Last thing I want to do is damage something. Help if you can, thanks, Rick B.

Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:48 pm

Good luck you need A good size compressor to get off
That nut is on tight as heck
Can't figure out why Kawasaki would put on so tight

Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:26 pm

Don't damage the seal getting it hot.

wee

Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:27 pm

It's not so much the compressor as the rattle gun, I needed to borrow a 3/4" high torque gun the first time. It will never go back on that tight I can assure you. Book says 97.3 ftlb but I doubt mine is that tight.

Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:20 pm

The way the nut is made kind of locks itself in place and it takes a real shock with a good air gun to get it to release .. The problem is the trans shaft moves soaking up the hit of the impact gun , Even at 90 foot pounds of TQ it's hard to get off .. I have to turn my regulator on my compressor to 150 PSI and add a few drops of oil to my air gun to spin them off .. :shock:

Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:32 pm

Thanks to all for the reply's. I've got access to an electric impact which I'll try on Monday. If I try any heat it won't be much, worse case I'll load it into the van to take down to the shop and hit it with my good impact. I saw the torque spec. which got me concerned when I couldn't budge it. Read the manual just to make sure it wasn't left handed thread aka old Mopars!

Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]