View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Feedback from the front forks/handlebars Updated!! 

Hi Guys, Im having an issue with my front suspention where Im getting a small amount of feedback thru the handlebars when Im going over bumps/imperfections on the road. If im on a good road its smooth and rides perfectly. I can cruise with no hands and it rides straight as an arrow. Front wheel lines up nice with the handlebar position. This started a few days ago, I checked the torque tolerances of all the Upper clamp bolts, lower clamp pinch bolts, steering nut, lower fork leg pinch bolts, front axel nut, and calipurs. Everything is torqued to manual specs and still exhibits this problem. It feels like something knocks thru the handlebars as if something is just a little loose when running over imperfections on the road. One thing I saw in the manual is there are torque settings for 2 bolts that are under the lower fork leg pinch bolts. When I look under each fork leg I see an opening where the front axel is visible, but there are no bolts. I dont even see any threads. any ideas what could be causing this?

Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:06 pm

JGIG73 wrote:
Hi Guys, Im having an issue with my front suspention where Im getting a small amount of feedback thru the handlebars when Im going over bumps/imperfections on the road. If im on a good road its smooth and rides perfectly. I can cruise with no hands and it rides straight as an arrow. Front wheel lines up nice with the handlebar position. This started a few days ago, I checked the torque tolerances of all the Upper clamp bolts, lower clamp pinch bolts, steering nut, lower fork leg pinch bolts, front axel nut, and calipurs. Everything is torqued to manual specs and still exhibits this problem. It feels like something knocks thru the handlebars as if something is just a little loose when running over imperfections on the road. One thing I saw in the manual is there are torque settings for 2 bolts that are under the lower fork leg pinch bolts. When I look under each fork leg I see an opening where the front axel is visible, but there are no bolts. I dont even see any threads. any ideas what could be causing this?

Some have had issues with the upper fairing stay bolts coming loose and the upper fairing starts knocking up and down. It attaches with 2 8mm bolts to the front of the steering stem. Give that a check.

Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:57 pm

yes, it you have a 2012 or 2013 check the two bolts on the fairing bracket behind the instrument cluster. They have been known to fall out. The 2014s have gone to a Fuji style lock nut.

Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:08 pm

Checked the upper fairing stay bolts and both are tight.

Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:51 pm

Here is something else I didnt mention. Right before this started I noticed my front wheel was a slight degree off from when my handlebars are centered. I figured my forks where a little tweeked from all the shitty roads here in NJ. The bike didnt exhibit any problems at all, but being OCD when it comes to this type of stuff I decided the fix the issue. I used this tutorial to re-align the forks in the clamps. Essentially I had the bike on a rear stand, loosened the following to where they are all turnable by hand: steering stem nut, the 4 bolts in the lower fork clamps, the lower fork pinch bolts, the calipers, the front fender and the front axel. Then gave the top clamp a few good pushes straight down before torquing all the loose parts to spec. The front wheel was aligned again with the handlebars, however this problem arose right after I did the work. I just went over all the bolts again with a torque wrench tonight and they are all in spec. I noticed when I brake hard or soft I can really feel the problem. Its like a loose clunk feeling in the handlebars but ever so slightly. I checked the top clamp bolt tolerances as well all is in spec.

Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:29 pm

JGIG73 wrote:
....however this problem arose right after I did the work.

If it started after you messed with it.. um.. ;) go back, recheck. Maybe the wheel is not centered in the forks. If that's the case make sure you don't have bent rotors now.

Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:51 pm

Your playing with your life, and if you created the problem go back and undo whatever you did. If you can't, go to the professionals. No offense intended but "Getting your wallet fleeced by the dealer is better then being a statistic". Good luck, hope you fix it

2015 30th Anniversary Edition 14R #250-> Brock's CT Ceramic Coated, PCV w/Ivan's Map, Ivan's ECU Flash V2, Block off plates, WB2 w/lcd, HM Strain gauge quickshifter, GPR Damper, Spiegler lines, Muzzy's Sliders, Pazzo levers, Rizoma Next Fluid Tanks, DDM Ultra 5500K HID's Low & Hi, DB Windscreen, Cox Radiator guard, gold titanium bolts... too many to list at this point

Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:15 pm

I redid the fork alignment today and the bike rides great. Doesnt pull, rides straight with no hands on the bars everything seems good. The issue is when I brake. I think this was the problem all along. Here is what Im experiencing.

Jacked up the front and spun the wheel, I noticed a fair amount of brake drag. The wheel spins freely but I can hear brake drag on the rotors and it causes the spin to slow down is this normal? I inspected the rotors as they moved for any apparent warping.. no visible problems. I disassembled the calipers (I usually do this once a month or so) and scrubbed everything with dish soap. I noticed when I pumped the lever all 4 pistons where not coming out evenly. One was stuck on one side and two on the other. After a good scrubbing both sides where working but still not exactly even. Some pistons come out faster than others. Im thinking there is uneven pressure on the rotors and Im not getting a linear feel resulting in feedback thru the handlebars when braking. it depends on how hard I brake. If I brake hard I dont feel it, its usually light braking when I do. I was watching the Dave Moss vid on brake cleaning and this is exactly what he was talking about. After I did the work on the calipers, its brakes way better, but there is still a slight bit of feedback under light braking. Could the seals be the issue for uneven piston movement?

Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:01 pm

JGIG7..
Did you check the (2)llocking stem nuts? Not sure I I saw that in your blog.Mine worked slightly loose or just bedded in from use.For too long I also got a "breaking clunk or click " Shop said they couldn't hear or feel it when braking. I finally tightened the (2)to spec and no more click. ..maybe???
Moo gator

Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:05 am

alligatorz wrote:
JGIG7..
Did you check the (2)llocking stem nuts? Not sure I I saw that in your blog.Mine worked slightly loose or just bedded in from use.For too long I also got a "breaking clunk or click " Shop said they couldn't hear or feel it when braking. I finally tightened the (2)to spec and no more click. ..maybe???
Moo gator

Exactly, I have to get a stem wrench so thats next. Also going to send the forks to Racetek this winter for a re-spring and valves.

Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:26 pm

JGIG7
I didn't use or have the proper wrench .I did carfully round off a screwdriver and gently tapped the lower nut (after loosening the 2 pinch bolts and stem nut) which WAS loose! A small 1/8turn was all it took. Locked down the top nut and rebent the special lockwasher. Clinking clanking stopped.
Moo gator

Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]