View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 question about the rod bearings 

I was about to buy new ones because two of them spun but I did not realize there are three different colors so to speak. Which are the correct ones for factory crank and factory rods

Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:59 pm

The has a color mark on it. Sometimes they are almost impossible to see. You need the factory service manual to help determine what should be in there and also for necessary instructions. . The crankshaft, rods and block will have certain markings to determine what bearing size or color is needed. I can't imagine your engine only needing a bearing to repair it. Usually the rod will have to be repaired or replaced and the same for the crankshaft.

Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:42 pm

Ordering 2 new rods and sent crank to marine to do minor repair just encase. Very minor issue on 1 journal. I'll check out the rods to look for color mark, is that correct?

Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:40 pm

on_2 wrote:
Ordering 2 new rods and sent crank to marine to do minor repair just encase. Very minor issue on 1 journal. I'll check out the rods to look for color mark, is that correct?

I just went through this and there were no marks visible. A real PIA I would ask Marine to measure everything and work it out for you.
The mains I could find the color mark but still measured the case and crank to make sure what I was ordering was what I wanted.
The 3 options you have are only a very small difference so it is perhaps best to measure it rather than just using what was already there.

Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:23 am

OzzyMax wrote:
on_2 wrote:

I just went through this and there were no marks visible. A real PIA I would ask Marine to measure everything and work it out for you.
The mains I could find the color mark but still measured the case and crank to make sure what I was ordering was what I wanted.
The 3 options you have are only a very small difference so it is perhaps best to measure it rather than just using what was already there.

There are marks on the rods and the crank, or lack of markings, which indicate the size of each. The ones on the crank can be a bit hard to decipher but you can throw a mic on the crank pins and immediately know which size u have. Same with the big end of the rods.

Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:41 am

Sorry I'm new to this part, what's mic? Is it basically a caliper?

Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:10 am

micrometer

Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:58 pm

Send the rods to Marine and have them install!

Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:09 pm

on_2 wrote:
I was about to buy new ones because two of them spun but I did not realize there are three different colors so to speak. Which are the correct ones for factory crank and factory rods

Man sorry to hear this but Id look into another model bike there are too many bearing issues with this bike.
Mine didn't last l000 miles but I must admit KAWASKI did repair it for free. After I got it fixed I found out the bike needs a billet oil cover and other mods to keep it alive but once I got it back together I went to the track and guess what the transmission would not shift when It got hot found out this was also common and the only fix was to R&R the transmission and remove some ball bearings so I put it back to stock and went back to a busa. The problem with the 14's are there owners unlike the busa when something is wrong thev complain about it so suzuki fixes it or you now to fix it yourself. But most of the 14 owners will tell you its the best bike on the planet and has no problems at all. Sorry to say I fell for that shit. Also you cant go buy what color is in the bike you have to plastic gauge it to get it right. Thats if you plan on keeping the bike if you don't then yeah just throw what ever color was in there back in it and sell it.
Also replace the rod with a new one. Good luck and if you going to keep it have the ball bearings removed the the transmission and put a good oil cover in it and bump up the oil pressure.

Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:13 am

SteddyTeddy wrote:
Send the rods to Marine and have them install!

:plus1: Excellent advice.......I would suggest you do just that.... :thumbs:

Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:47 pm

Davopor,

You are the only person that have said anything bad about the zx14's clutch and transmission.

Teddy,
The rods can't be connected to the crank, unless it's through the top case w/the piston installed. Suggest you find a person that has built a 14 motor before, or read the manual and have someone that has done it before to assist you. If the mains came w/blue(tightest bearings), I would replace it w/black (gives you a lil more clearance for oil) and with the rods bearing I would use brown (most oil clearance). also, use the muzzy plate and (oil gear or shim your oil valve relief .030 to .040)
I used 060 in mine, the oil pressure is around 70 psi @ 4k rpm

2014 Zx14R Fire Red/PM-wheels/Orient Turbo Kit
ECU Flashing
808-542-2496

Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:50 pm

justoyz2 wrote:
Davopor,

You are the only person that have said anything bad about the zx14's clutch and transmission.

Teddy,
The rods can't be connected to the crank, unless it's through the top case w/the piston installed. Suggest you find a person that has built a 14 motor before, or read the manual and have someone that has done it before to assist you. If the mains came w/blue(tightest bearings), I would replace it w/black (gives you a lil more clearance for oil) and with the rods bearing I would use brown (most oil clearance). also, use the muzzy plate and (oil gear or shim your oil valve relief .030 to .040)
I used 060 in mine, the oil pressure is around 70 psi @ 4k rpm

Geez.....that's right, good grief....heh heh. Can't do that with the cylinders cast into the top crankcase half..... :lol:

What a draaaag.... it is.... getting old....... (mothers little helper) :mrgreen:

Thanks for the slap in the head justoyz2.... :thumbs:

Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]