View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Gearing/Stutter/ECU Help Please 

Guys I've been playing for well over 40 hours inside this ECU trying every little trick I can think of, installing one number at a time. Then test ride. I can't be the only one that's been driven mad by this Damn Stutter issue. This is beyond Maddening. Goes without saying it's mind boggling that some ECU's have this issue and others with the exact same numbers do not.

I know Don Ghul worked on this a bit, but has since moved on into other more important things as he has a business to run. My thinking is there has to be more of you working on this Madness. I will gladly share all I have tried with anyone who wants the info to help save some time. If this can be solved many of us will be happy happy men. Help.

Cheers.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:13 am

Been there, done that.... On to more pressing things. Like you I have wasted countless hours and a good amount of $$$ on this to no avail. Yes it's annoying but I have a simple solution... Use stock gearing and there is no stutter.

2015 30th Anniversary Edition 14R #250-> Brock's CT Ceramic Coated, PCV w/Ivan's Map, Ivan's ECU Flash V2, Block off plates, WB2 w/lcd, HM Strain gauge quickshifter, GPR Damper, Spiegler lines, Muzzy's Sliders, Pazzo levers, Rizoma Next Fluid Tanks, DDM Ultra 5500K HID's Low & Hi, DB Windscreen, Cox Radiator guard, gold titanium bolts... too many to list at this point

Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:46 am

My bike had the stutter with a gearing change. Now +2 on the rear sprocket, and by using a TRE, stutter gone. Seems like a much easier fix. Perhaps it isn't the ecu at all, but rather the output from the GPS that causes the variance?

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:13 pm

Shane661 wrote:
My bike had the stutter with a gearing change. Now +2 on the rear sprocket, and by using a TRE, stutter gone. Seems like a much easier fix. Perhaps it isn't the ecu at all, but rather the output from the GPS that causes the variance?

Man, that's kinda what I was thinking too... cept the speed sensors.

I have spent hours and few bucks shipping my ECU to Don as well.. only to no avail. My solution was an SB6 which has does what a TRE does. In fact, I borrowed the SB6 off my 07 and connected only the GPS wire to the SB6 and and it was fixed immediately. Didn't even connect the power or ground. Just the GPS wire straight to the correct pin. So I got another and installed it correctly on the 14r.. have to use the speed sensor from the wheel instead of the sprocket cover because the 14r doesn't have one at the sprocket cover. It works but gives an inflated number in the SB6 log and is super sensitive to the bike in motion over the Gen 1. That only matters for the 2 step feature and to start the logging.. but should be noted. Nice thing about the SB6 over a standard TRE is you don't need to cut the GPS wire. In fact, you can install a switch on the wire in the SB6 harness and toggle on off a working gear position indicator while you ride.... oh what gear am I in? says 6.. flip switch.. oh 5.. shift! flip back.

Anyway.. I lean more towards the speed sensors. Maybe Kawasaki sources from several different suppliers or the sensor itself has wide tolerance range? The ECU just looks for a binary ON/OFF voltage signal from them. Maybe some have greater resistance than others and the voltage difference is the key to throwing some ECUs into short bus mode? Just a dumb guess. The test would be to swap sensors from a known no issue bike into one with short bus syndrome. I'm willing to work with anyone here that will send me your speed sensor to test on my bike then vice versa. Mine is a short bus rider. ;) Will need sensors from a no issue bike to test from.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:57 pm

I think it would be interesting to see a chart with ECU# and build dates of the affected bikes.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:09 pm

Shane661 wrote:

Quote:
The test would be to swap sensors from a known no issue bike into one with short bus syndrome. I'm willing to work with anyone here that will send me your speed sensor to test on my bike then vice versa. Mine is a short bus rider. ;) Will need sensors from a no issue bike to test from.

I was leaning towards sensors as well but what sent me away from that direction was the fact that a non issue bike can swap out the problem free ECU with a Bike that has the issue and all is solved. So must be ECU,,,,,,

So in the ECU, I know the where the problem is located. So went to work in the vacuum side of the maps based on throttle position and RPM.

Currently I have tried every variance of fuel IAP maps per cylinder with out success.

Don believed it was the the forward motion through the timing maps based on gear selection. Which does indeed have some value as the 2015 Bike I'm working only stutters in 1st and second gear. (It may indeed stutter in the higher gears but I may have needed more seat time). And we do know a TRE or similar resistor can solve the problem. SB6 also worked in my bike 2012. So,,,

This sent me into the timing maps. I made every single timing map in the bike all exactly the same. Low High & safety. All cylinders. Even the neutral maps, still no luck. The many combinations of each individual map mixed with each together was mind numbing. My thinking, if I could just move the stutters location I would have a even finer place to look.

Then onto All throttle plate maps. Changed in all modes and mixed with all the above,,,,, Grrrrrrrr,,,,,,No luck. I'm out of ideas to try inside the ECU.

I will be back at it tomorrow.

Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:50 am

Rick please describe the stutter in detail...I asked elsewhere but didn't get an answer.

Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:40 am

HanksZX wrote:
Rick please describe the stutter in detail...I asked elsewhere but didn't get an answer.

This thread will help: http://zx1441r.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1042#p8804

Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:31 pm

I wish you guys all the best of luck with this. I have never experienced the issue so I do not really know what it feels like.
Chasing the issue down would drive me absolutely mad, no way I would have the patience for this, it would have to be an on going interment program of attempts for me.

If you ever solve it the zx14 world would owe you a great deal of respect.

cheers
Max

Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:29 pm

HanksZX wrote:

Hank the sound and feel of the stutter is best described as spark is going out. From today's tests I'm convinced its traction control coming on due to miscommunication between the speedo and engine Rpm.

To roll back the clock, thinking what have I done. Well simply put, I made the wheel speed read faster than engine RPM. Does the speedo look to engine rpm for KRTC ,,,,, I think so. So began the test.

First pulled front wheel sensor. Results in test ride ABS Light On. Bike ran ok but Stutter still present. Fail, reinstalled sensor.

Second Pulled rear wheel sensor. Results, Speedo Gone out, ABS light on, KRTC Light came on during test ride, Check Engine Light soon came on,,, Dash Flashing. But,,,,,

THE Stutter 100 % Gone. Party Time.

Now How To Trick Speedo Is The Job Now. So close,,,,,,

Blocked Rear Tone wheel with Metal tape. One mind numbing fu.king hole at a time. Fail.

Blocked Front wheel One hole at a time, Fail

Blocked both tone wheels Ten at a time, Fail

Blocked Half the fucking thing, Fail

Now I know what Im doing wrong, I'm not affecting the speedo with metal Tape.

Next Test. Must affect speedo. I need to buy Tone wheels. either weld in or cut barbs.

In short, my belief right now, is the Speedo and Engine RPM must be in Sink. The count needs to be the same as it was. Gear position(1&2 only), Throttle position(2% up to 10%)and Speed based on RPM(2500 to 3500)all talking to KRTC sensitivity setting inside the ECU software. Any one of these out KRTC comes to play. Cheat the speedo, The Fix is here. Confidence is high.

Another Day shot. I am going to have to give the bike back,,,, Fail. :dunno: Need More Time

Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:10 pm

Romans wrote:
HanksZX wrote:
In short, my belief right now, is the Speedo and Engine RPM must be in Sink. The count needs to be the same as it was. Gear position(1&2 only), Throttle position(2% up to 10%)and Speed based on RPM(2500 to 3500)all talking to KRTC sensitivity setting inside the ECU software. Any one of these out KRTC comes to play. Cheat the speedo, The Fix is here. Confidence is high.

Another Day shot. I am going to have to give the bike back,,,, Fail. :dunno: Need More Time

OK.. now you are going the direction I was thinking about. A bigger rear sprocket would mean the rear wheel is turning slower than the ECU thinks it is supposed to be turning against engine RPM, right?

Anyway... What if there was a way to slot the rear speed sensor hole, move the sensor to a higher or lower orbit? Would this be a way to trick the ECU into thinking the rpm of the rear wheel was correct against the engine RPMs? The rear speed sensor is a binary sensor, meaning it reads ON|OFF and it measures the frequency or interval between the two to determine speed. Moving the sensor to a higher orbit would cause a faster than true reading and the opposite for a lower orbit. Alternately you could capture the signal much the way a speedohealer would capture the signal from the speed sensor on the Gen 1 or other bikes and apply a percentage change either + or -. Which reminds me... On the Gen 1 bike you can produce a similar issue with a speedohealer. I forget the details now because I was able to set a close enough speed correction and hit a magic number that the ECU stop being pissed about it. I think I posted that scenario either here or on Bikeland. I need to find it and reread those details. I remember thinking how the two could be related even though the Gen 1 has no KTRC. HUM???

A speedohealer like device in line on the rear speed sensor that can be set to modify the signal +/- by tiny factions of a % might be doable and fix the issue? The speedometer would become wrong.. but the lesser of two malfunctions, right?

Hum? I wonder if a speedohealer could be re-purposed here? I might be able to steal the one off my gen 1 bike and play with this idea? Will need to do some checking.

Along the same logic would be to find the speed calculations in the ECU and change it in the flash.. but I got no idea there?

Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:46 pm

WOW! An excerpt from my post last July on Bikeland:

http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=27&TID=76232

posted July 24, 2014 02:01 PM Edited By: MotoCycho on 25 Jul 2014 04:04 Well.. I sure as fuck know what the surge feels like... the cause, and more importantly, the fix, is still up for grabs cuz it doesn't do it all the time or even on every bike. My 2013 14r bucks and surges with 17/43 gears. This sounds like the same issue even though you have not changed the gearing. I can reproduce the same thing on a Gen 1 with and a speedohealer set at -1.8 correction as well, regardless of the gearing. The more speed correction you subtract the better it gets until about -6 or -8 % and then auto-fucking-magically, it's completely gone. So tell me wtf there? I think that this issue on the Gen 1 and the gear change issue on the Gen 2 are causing the ECU to go whacky in the same way. Just a hunch tho.

I'll take a stab at your Gen 2 issue tho.. since your gears are stock and your and tire size is stock, I'll predict you have a faulty rear wheel speed sensor. It's sending out of tolerance voltage to the ECU and causing the surge as if something had been changed. With only a 1 tooth change on the rear causing this issue on a Gen 2, it's not hard to fathom that a speed sensor with only a 2-3% deviation from normal would cause the same effing thing to happen.

2 cents

This issue was solved with anew rear wheel speed sensor. The original poster notes that the new sensor is closer to the trigger ring. I really think we are heading down the right path.. need to come up with some tests and changes to prove and fix this.

Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:02 pm

First of all a sincere thanks to you for the effort you are putting into this. Now my question. If putting a TRE or sb6 cures the symptoms by fooling the ECU to think it is 6th gear, why do you think that putting the 6th gear full power maps everywhere have the same effect?

We have always said it only affects people going +1 or 2 but Rick you've had it wth -1 gearing correct?

I was running a 40t on the street and LSR with no issues. The last race on the 2nd day I switched to a 41t because of the winds. When I rode it on the street I thought I was getting the stutter but it turned out to be something completely different. I guess the 18 miles of full throttle passes caused my throttle cables to loosen. Adjusting the cables smoothed the off idle response. Glad I dodged the stutter problem.

Again, thanks for your effort.

Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:32 pm

Quote:
A speedohealer like device in line on the rear speed sensor that can be set to modify the signal +/- by tiny factions of a % might be doable and fix the issue? The speedometer would become wrong.. but the lesser of two malfunctions, right?

Yes, thinking the same way. First place I went to was Healtech. They do not show a Speedo healer for 2012 and up. I had one lying around here for a Gen1 but I can't find it. Not that it would work anyway. I have sent E-Mail to HealTech techs in product support looking for help. Still waiting.

Quote:
Now my question. If putting a TRE or sb6 cures the symptoms by fooling the ECU to think it is 6th gear, why do you think that putting the 6th gear full power maps everywhere have the same effect?

Gear position switch we know has an effect. This is a for sure. The question as to the how it accomplishes this effect we don't know. We can only assume that changing the when and the where the ECU is looking may have an effect. So if we make everything all the same. Logic dictates where the ECU looks makes no difference as all is the same. Make sense ?

Example, Im sure all have read on The Safety Mode. How we have fixed it is to simply copy paste all full power maps into safety map location. So when safety mode is triggered ECU looks to a new set of maps that are all exactly the same as the full power maps. Yes it works but is it is this the proper way of doing things ???

My answer is No. It a cheat, What we really need to know is what triggers safety mode so we can eliminate it completely. Currently safety mode still gets triggered grrrr. Our band aid cheat works but I still don't like it. Everything is a input, knowing how to manipulate or eliminate the input without the Brain seeing what we have done and throwing on the brakes is key. Software ugh!

And how much do you want to bet this issue we are having with gearing is tied to that Damn safety mode.

Gears 1 & 2,,,,, hmmmm. I'm Also willing to bet the farm the 6th gear lock Blinds Safety Mode Properly ! But without proper testing maybe I should not have said that. Current testing leads me to believe that little 6th gear resistor may yields many more benefits than most are aware of. Clearly I'm thinking too much about this. My OCD is a major time sucker.

None of this explains how two different ECU's with the exact same serial number can display different characteristics. Lee's ECU with exact same Number as mine had no issue. Bobbusa made the purchase and is now the happiest man alive,,,, Go figure. For a Drag racer not being able to play with gearing is a deal breaker. I have had four ZX14 leave my garage with the stutter. Where is this magic ECU ???? What is the build date ???

Still have one buddy who's bike is soon going to be tested on. Just haven't told him yet.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:04 am

My bike has stock gearing, stock tires and slip ons.
It has always has a 2800-3000 stutter in the lower gears with minimal throttle or trailing throttle opening.
After reading this thread, I started playing with the traction control, which I have always left on 1.
Turning it off made a big difference as the stutter is 90 % gone, perhaps fully gone.
The motor also is a lot smoother in the lower rpm's through the gears.
I'm guessing this isn't the same problem as you guys are talking about but curious as to your thoughts???
Thanks...Hank

Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:49 am

I added 3 teeth to the rear sprocket and the scooter was unrideable in town: stumble, snort, all that jazz.

It's more than just the subs clamping down... spark plugs and fuel injectors are being deactivated. The one workaround was to launch hard. No stumble if your right hand was angry.

I think that's compelling evidence to eyeball how the KTRC impacts the ECU gear maps.

Through testing, I've had that stump le crop up in gears 1 through 4. Hard throttle application moves right aaround the intervention.

Does anyone see how the KTRC modifies the AFR map? In any gear?

Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:36 pm

hagrid wrote:
I added 3 teeth to the rear sprocket and the scooter was unrideable in town: stumble, snort, all that jazz.

It's more than just the subs clamping down... spark plugs and fuel injectors are being deactivated. The one workaround was to launch hard. No stumble if your right hand was angry.

I think that's compelling evidence to eyeball how the KTRC impacts the ECU gear maps.

Through testing, I've had that stump le crop up in gears 1 through 4. Hard throttle application moves right aaround the intervention.

hmm, 3 teeth moves the issue through 4 gears while 2 teeth affects two gears only. Begs the question what will 4 teeth do ?

Quote:
Does anyone see how the KTRC modifies the AFR map? In any gear?

That test is next. I will report back when I get the new bike for testing. Making the call.

I got a response back from HealTech. Fail.

Quote:
Hello Rick,

Thank you for your email.

SpeedoHealer is not available for the 2012+ models, unfortunately.
The speed signal wiring and processing is completely different than on other bikes.

Kind Regards,
/Norbert
www.healtech-electronics.com

Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2015 15:21
To: support@healtech-electronics.com
Subject: ZX14 Please Help.

Guys I'm looking for Speedo healer for 2012 and up ZX 14s. I'm thinking this would be a big sales item if you guys have one or are currently working on this new sale item. The issue we are having is, with the new zx14 sprocket changes creates a stutter in the bike. My belief is our Safety Mode activates our Traction (KRTC) if engine RPM and the Bikes speedometer are not synced to factory specs. When out of sink ECU thinks we are spinning and partially activates. Please tell me you guys are working on this or have one for sale now as I can't find info on this anywhere. Please Help

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2015.0.6140 / Virus Database: 4419/10657 - Release Date: 09/17/15

Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:08 pm

So if the traction control is turned off does anyone still have the stutter

Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:20 pm

Rick I had 17-46 on my 2012 and had no issues whatsoever so I am no help there

Mky, reports are turning TC off does not eliminate the problem.

Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:31 pm

I was wondering after reading some of the posts, if I had a rear wheel speed sensor that was out of range.
I felt turning off the traction control would eliminate the input from that sensor.
There is a distinct difference in the way the bike runs with tc off and I plan to check for values and test the sensor.
Probably 2 different problems but this thread got me thinking....

Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:22 am

HanksZX wrote:
I felt turning off the traction control would eliminate the input from that sensor.

But you are not actually turning off that sensor since that is where the speedometer gets its reading from.

Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:31 pm

Well shit....back to the drawing boards.
Thanks for the clarification.

Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:35 pm

I think I need to add another detail about using the MSD SB6 on my 2013. Running 17/43 sprockets. No ABS. Guhl/Brocks rev 2 flash + some beta things Don threw in. I run TC off and Full power mode all the time now.

I installed the SB6 with a by-pass switch inline on the GPS so I can throw the switch and then it will read the proper gear on my display. This in effect kills the TRE feature on the fly. However, the stutter does not return with the TRE wire by-passed, at least not enough to really feel more than a slight pulse. When I was testing with the SB6 off my Gen 1 bike, I was only connecting the GPS and power/ground wire to the SB6, and flipping the by-pass switch, would immediately bring the stutter back. However, once fully installed, SB6 now handles ignition timing, about 90% of the stutter is gone even with the TRE feature by-passed. This leads me to think that most of the stutter issue is the ECU messing with ignition. I say "most" because I ran another test once to see what happened. Ever tried to do a burn out with KTRC on 3? Virtually impossible. ECU just stops it. With the SB6 installed and KTRC on 3 you can still do a burnout. It's more difficult because the power is significantly down but the ECU no longer has full control over killing ignition and the SB6 must be smoothing out the pulse signal enough to prevent KTRC from really working it's voodoo.

So basically, SB6 fixes stutter completely by using the TRE feature, or the SB6 will smooth the stutter by 90%+ just handling the ignition timing and no TRE enabled. Of course having both on is 100% as well. When the SB6 is handling ignition timing KTRC is pretty much busted. This doesn't bother me too much because I have found the TC to only startle me unnecessarily rather than actually prevent me from losing control.. but that's just me. I considered a few ways to have a by-pass switch on the ignition as well so I could flip a switch and give back ignition control fully to the ECU so I would have KTRC and power modes working on the fly.. but it's not a priority until the stutter issue can be fixed via the sensor input or position or whatever it ends up being.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:55 pm

Romans after your email to Healtech I looked at their website. This might work and still have a gear position indicator:
http://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/atre/

but even better would be if they could make one of these for Kaws:
http://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/xtre/

Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:52 pm

Yes, that would be exactly what we are looking to try. But, as our speed is calculated off our rear wheel tone ring I can't see HealTech investing much time in our issue. When looking Inside the ECU, it's showing no timing changes per gear change. That leaves us SOL for a TRE Mod.

Have new bike coming for fuelling tests. Will be nice to see what AFR changes take place during the stutter. 45 Tooth sprocket will be used for the test.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:57 pm

Romans wrote:
That leaves us SOL for a TRE Mod..

Rick I don't want to derail your thread but I thought the TRE did cure the stuttering?

Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:14 am

toledoUPSguy wrote:
Romans wrote:
That leaves us SOL for a TRE Mod..

Rick I don't want to derail your thread but I thought the TRE did cure the stuttering?

No worries, my bad, I didn't say that correctly. I'll try to explain where I'm coming from and how I see it. ,,,,,,, We have little hope of healtech developing anything to help us 14R guys with our issue. Especially their unit. If they did what would they call it ? 6th gear lock resistor? Who would buy it ? What benefits could they describe in the sales pitch as all bikes do not have the issue. The description they use below most certainly can not be used.

Quote:
"The GIPro ATRE gear indicator comes with a switchable, 4 mode advanced TRE unit increasing power and better throttle response. This combo unit is not only the most advanced gear indicator on the market, but also the best TRE (Timing Retard Eliminator) device available for selected Suzuki, Kawasaki and Triumph motorcycles. Get more power while smartening it up at the same time! Switch between 4 modes with a single touch of a button.
Note: On 1000cc+ Suzuki models, including the GSX-R1000 and the Hayabusa, it even acts as a top speed de-restrictor. Get the max out of your ride with this simple yet effective and stylish mod!

Which brings up another head scratcher. The word "Timing" The item "Timing Retard Eliminator" in fact has nothing to do with Timing inside the ECU. Using a 6th gear lock resistor makes our Gen 1 zx14s look at the more aggressive secondary throttle plate 6th gear map. This would be the only benefit. Now if you have removed your plates all you have done is killed your proper gear display with zero timing benefits. False Advertising comes to mind ????

With the 14R Same can be said. The word Timing should not be used. The 14R Timing maps are the same in All Gears. What is different between the two Gens is the 14R Secondary throttle plate Maps are Also the same in all gears. With the 14R In place of the less advanced throttle plate maps used in the Gen 1's we are given our lovely Safety Mode. Which does indeed nail us with both a Timing pull and a greatly reduced secondary throttle plate map.

To my point, I believe the above noted leaves Nothing to sell from Healtechs point of view. Timing Advance is a No. Speed correction is basically a No. (Tire Size ?)

Does this make any sense ? sometimes I read what I wrote afterwards and wonder if I'm making any sense at all lol

Yes the 6th gear resistor has been reported to solve our issue. And if it solves this issue what else does it solve ??? No Safety Mode in 6th Maybe??? (SB6 solved low gear stutter for me(6th Gear Lock).

Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:08 am

Quote:
Does this make any sense ? sometimes I read what I wrote afterwards and wonder if I'm making any sense at all lol

Yes it does make sense and thanks for the long explanation.

Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:23 pm

Just went from stock to 16/42 gearing. She now has the stutter :evil: Romans have you done anymore research?

Muzzy black stainless Slips
Yoshimura fender delete
Custom machined bar risers by Me

Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:06 pm

I get it on my 2012 with 16-42. The following gears are fine -- 17-42, 17-46, 17-48, 16-46, 16-48, and 17-40.. I never tried 16-40.

Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:24 pm

Any additional updates since the last post? Up 2 on the rear and have the stutter problem, Schnitz ECU flash. Was up 2 rear and have the problem before and after the flash. I have noticed that the ECO light comes on exactly when the stutter starts. Like everyone else reports only does it in 1st and 2nd low RPM, parking lot riding or taking off easy. Putting the 42 back on tomorrow.

Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:32 pm

42 back on, problem gone. I noticed the ECO comes on at 14mph, no matter what gear or RPM. Checked it in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:47 pm

Didn't Shane install a TRE and fix the stutter?

wee

Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:56 pm

Nastynotch wrote:
Romans have you done anymore research?

Yes, Currently have one bike running 17/45 smoooth as silk. Can't make it stutter. 100% Fixed Very Happy.

I was reluctant to post this as "proven" until I get the original bike back in my possession. (Which is the Bike I could not fix) Currently I am very hopeful this is a Easy Fix for all. For me all that is left to do, is to prove the result a second time without a doubt.

Point of interest , the ECU numbers used in both bikes were exactly the same. My new thinking is ECU's will not make a difference in the fix. Anyone with a stutter problem will be able to fix the bike the same way regardless of the ECU number.

One of the two bikes used in the testing had the battery catch fire on her maiden voyage. This Was a unrelated issue but a time sucker none the less. Bike was towed home, cleaned up, battery was replaced. 17/45 still remains in this bike running flawlessly. Owner loves it can't get him to stop smiling.

It's been hard for me to ask guys to give up their bikes for testing. Yet this issue needs to be solved once and for all.

Bare with me I'm not giving up. Sometimes better to walk away for a bit.

Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:20 pm

10-4 thanks for the update sir.

Yoshimura fender delete

Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:39 am

Hey guys, I just wondering what brand TRE are you guys are using. I want to change my gearing and not worry about sputtering.

Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:04 pm

Wheelie wrote:
Didn't Shane install a TRE and fix the stutter?

wee

Yes. It had the stutter, but after the TRE install, gone. Works fine with both 17/43 and 1744. Don't have enough chain to test a larger sprocket. I used a Gen1 Ivan's TRE. There are a couple of wires you have to swap in order for it work on the Gen2. I don't recall the exact model #. Will check if I get time (moving to a new place).

Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:25 pm

Romans wrote:
Yes, Currently have one bike running 17/45 smoooth as silk. Can't make it stutter. 100% Fixed Very Happy.

Hi Romans,

So, just to make sure I understand this correctly, it is fixed on this bike because of a TRE or SB6? It's been SB6 fixed on my 14r for going on 2 years now. We are still in the same place as far as I can tell, correct?

Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:59 pm

Tre008

Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:55 am

motocycho wrote:
Romans wrote:

Hi Romans,

So, just to make sure I understand this correctly, it is fixed on this bike because of a TRE or SB6? It's been SB6 fixed on my 14r for going on 2 years now. We are still in the same place as far as I can tell, correct?

No, the bike that is running without issue currently has no TRE or SB6.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:12 am

I know you're not willing to say what the potential solution is at this time, but when you confirm on another bike that it does in fact fix the stutter, is this going to be something that anyone can do at home, or is this an ecu fix?

Yoshimura fender delete

Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:48 am

I am speaking for Rick with no authority but I don't think he cares much about this right now. There is some new really freaking cool black thing in his garage.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:58 am

toledoUPSguy wrote:
I am speaking for Rick with no authority but I don't think he cares much about this right now. There is some new really freaking cool black thing in his garage.
A big black kitty... :D

Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:50 pm

Great Work Roman, Please keep us updated.

Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:02 am

SmokinZX14 wrote:
toledoUPSguy wrote:
A big black kitty... :D

Yep, my 50th B-Day present to me. Having some weird whether here in Toronto. Can't rides the bikes, can't take out the car as all the streets are covered in salt and not enough snow for the sleds. If I don't burn some gas soon I'm going to have a break down. Very frustrating time of year. During these times I love reading what you guys are up to. Seems quiet ????

One Minute old

She sleeps for the winter

Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:58 pm

Hi guys, any update on the sputtering issue?
My 2013 abs has had it for a year, thought it was my exhaust but disconnected the rear sensor and the sputtering is gone.
Is a TRE a definate fix?

Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:03 pm

TRE is a fix.... But at the cost of your gear indicator

2015 30th Anniversary Edition 14R #250-> Brock's CT Ceramic Coated, PCV w/Ivan's Map, Ivan's ECU Flash V2, Block off plates, WB2 w/lcd, HM Strain gauge quickshifter, GPR Damper, Spiegler lines, Muzzy's Sliders, Pazzo levers, Rizoma Next Fluid Tanks, DDM Ultra 5500K HID's Low & Hi, DB Windscreen, Cox Radiator guard, gold titanium bolts... too many to list at this point

Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:56 pm

Installed the tre today and it does help 80-90% but still that little 10-20%, so close.
Have been running 190-55, new 190-50 coming, maybe a cause?
The rear speed sensor gap is within spec, but when disconnected, seems to improve that last 10-20%, but not sure.
2013 abs, full exhaust PCV dyno tune, no flies

Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:39 am

For shits and giggles I threw the ATRE back on my bike but pulled it off... I did not notice any stutter going up 2 in the rear

Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:02 pm

Whatcom wrote:
Installed the tre today and it does help 80-90% but still that little 10-20%, so close.
Have been running 190-55, new 190-50 coming, maybe a cause?
The rear speed sensor gap is within spec, but when disconnected, seems to improve that last 10-20%, but not sure.
2013 abs, full exhaust PCV dyno tune, no flies
It a bit tricky fix the problem 100% because each bike seems to respond a little different ... You will have some bikes that never do it , you will have some that fixes it 100% with a TRE ..Still others seem to still have a bit of a slight stutter even with the TRE .. Problem is we don't have a clear answer to the root cause .. At best we can patch the problem with a TRE .. Only real fix with a bike that has the problem is go back to stock gears ..I wish we could help you more but in a nut shell we just don't have a good answer .. :(

Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next