View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 The 14 may be down for the season.... any ideas 

Heading down the road yesterday and hit Rev limiter for a second and felt something give. Drove home slow (about 10 minutes ) but a few minutes later engine started knocking bad so I shut it down. ..this could get bad .....

Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:01 am

On_2
So sorry to hear that. Nothing worse than having your best friend get suddenly ill.
How hard do you regularly red line. Smokin has hundreds of thrashing runs on the quarter mile.Never heard of a zx14r going belly up just from, hard running. What year is bike? We both know "knocking "is bad.
Moo gator

Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:13 pm

on_2 wrote:
Heading down the road yesterday and hit Rev limiter for a second and felt something give. Drove home slow (about 10 minutes ) but a few minutes later engine started knocking bad so I shut it down. ..this could get bad .....

Sounds like a spun rod bearing. My vote is #3. :cry:

BTW, It will be a lot worse if you keep running the engine. You can drop the oil pan and turn the engine with a socket wrench to get to each crank pin and see which one it is and confirm it is in fact a rod bearing.. but it is. :|

Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:04 pm

I dint red line often, oil may have been a little low but not terrible. I'm hoping it's just a spun bearing. That's best scenario, we drained oil today and saw no metal shaving in it so that 1 good sign at least.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:13 pm

Pull the pan and check the rods .... Never run a Gen 2 motor below the full line , NEVER !!! Always run it to the top of the full mark ... The gen 2 kills rod bearing for two reasons , low oil level .. Or burning a clutch up at the track in a few runs clogging up the oil pick up tube ..

Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:18 pm

Smokin
Thanks for that tide bit . hadn't heard that about oil level being so particular. Any recommendations on "the best oil " for street use??
Moo gator

Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:43 am

That blows, sorry to hear that... did the same thing once to a car years ago.... hit the limiter once on the parkway hauling ass for a split second and toasted the motor..... Sounded like there was a dude in my motor with a sledge hammer trying to beat his way out.

2015 30th Anniversary Edition 14R #250-> Brock's CT Ceramic Coated, PCV w/Ivan's Map, Ivan's ECU Flash V2, Block off plates, WB2 w/lcd, HM Strain gauge quickshifter, GPR Damper, Spiegler lines, Muzzy's Sliders, Pazzo levers, Rizoma Next Fluid Tanks, DDM Ultra 5500K HID's Low & Hi, DB Windscreen, Cox Radiator guard, gold titanium bolts... too many to list at this point

Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:03 am

Sure sounded like a rod bearing but with no metal in the oil you may have dodged one bullet but now it's sounding like spit shim, dropped valve possibly. Hope it's under warranty.

Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:56 pm

It was 2 spun bearings but didn't seem to mess up the crank. Taking it to a machine shop to be sure.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:49 am

Sorry about your engine.

Have a question that is probably really stupid and if anyone thinks that this derails the thread please just delete it. How does hitting the rev limiter cause spun bearings? Doesn't Brock take the bikes up to the rev limiter while dynoing?

Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:29 pm

Oil gallery's plugged from sealant?

http://www.zx14ninjaforum.com/messages. ... 1160AADDAB

Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:47 am

toledoUPSguy wrote:
Sorry about your engine.

Have a question that is probably really stupid and if anyone thinks that this derails the thread please just delete it. How does hitting the rev limiter cause spun bearings? Doesn't Brock take the bikes up to the rev limiter while dynoing?

Unlikely the Rev limiter had anything to do with it. It's almost always caused by lack of oil. Most engines I've rebuilt were low on oil although I've seen a few first gen 14's where I couldn't pinpoint the exact cause.

Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:23 pm

Both times I spun a rod bearing in my Gen 1 it was banging the rev limiter. Both times it was #3 that spun and oil level in engine was not low. The last time I was spraying and when the juice came back on after I hit the shift button again (a bad idea in hind sight ;) ) BANG! Tossed #3 rod right thru the case. Nitrous didn't cause the bearing to spin but it sure made it spectacular when it did! ;) Valve float can cause the valve to touch the piston and that will spin a bearing too... from what I have read, but I am reluctant to blame the N2O for any valve float because I have controller set to kill the N2O at an RPM below the rev limiter first.. granted the engine revs hella fast when spraying and a valve could have been floating as it smashed the rev limiter.. it is possible. There was a 1 in 4 chance of it being #3 again, right? I mean.. it seems like a lot of them that spin a bearing spin #3 is all I am saying.

on_2 wrote:
It was 2 spun bearings but didn't seem to mess up the crank. Taking it to a machine shop to be sure.

Which 2 spun?

Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:14 am

I've got a gen 1 torn apart now that had some piston to valve contact happening. Several bent valves on a carpenter head. Has a big dry shot setup with no rpm cutoff for the gas. Billet pan and had oiling issues but that part of the motor still intact. I'm starting to think the high volume oil pump gear, billet cover and high pressure relief are almost a necessity for these engines.

Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:23 am

krexken wrote:
I've got a gen 1 torn apart now that had some piston to valve contact happening. Several bent valves on a carpenter head. Has a big dry shot setup with no rpm cutoff for the gas. Billet pan and had oiling issues but that part of the motor still intact. I'm starting to think the high volume oil pump gear, billet cover and high pressure relief are almost a necessity for these engines.

Sounds like that motor should have spun some bearings. Pretty lucky it didn't. I installed the higher volume oil pump gear and billet cover in my gen 1 but skipped the higher value pressure relief option. I think I read some where that the pressure was plenty assuming oil is available from the pump that is. ;) Guess I'll see? Been working OK since June with several all motor, and maybe 6 nitrous passes on it now. I banged the rev limiter once spraying when I feathered a shift from 2 to 3... I pulled the clutch lever in, and just rolled it out. Really wanna avoid tossing another rod thru the case if I can. I can live with a spun bearing... but hot oil spray and chunks flying is pretty lame. ;)

Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:49 pm

motocycho wrote:
krexken wrote:

Sounds like that motor should have spun some bearings. Pretty lucky it didn't. I installed the higher volume oil pump gear and billet cover in my gen 1 but skipped the higher value pressure relief option. I think I read some where that the pressure was plenty assuming oil is available from the pump that is. ;) Guess I'll see? Been working OK since June with several all motor, and maybe 6 nitrous passes on it now. I banged the rev limiter once spraying when I feathered a shift from 2 to 3... I pulled the clutch lever in, and just rolled it out. Really wanna avoid tossing another rod thru the case if I can. I can live with a spun bearing... but hot oil spray and chunks flying is pretty lame. ;)

Thats why I sold my 14 to many issues for 100cc'c and to more hp.

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:27 am

Found out it actually did spend two bearings 1 only slightly put a very very tiny scar in the journal so it's at Marine crank right now getting taken care of and I also ordered a high volume oil kit to compensate since I heard the oil cover fluctuates really bad at high RPMs and takes away pressure. But now I am reading that the transmissions are also issues in the 14 all the other never personally seen any go out it is pretty scary I guess

Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:30 pm

on_2 wrote:
But now I am reading that the transmissions are also issues in the 14 all the other never personally seen any go out it is pretty scary I guess

so let me get this straight, you are worried about this even though you don't know any issues personally and haven't read about them here by members that are running the snot out of theirs. Sounds like needless worrying to me.

Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:47 pm

what toledo said.
just fix it, ride it, maintain it and enjoy it

Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:48 am

Transmissions hold up pretty well from what i can tell. I mean, busa tranny usually pop out of 2nd gear fairly quick it seems like. While my bike was apart, we went ahead and sent the trans to R&D to get it back cut. She shifts like butter and should last me a lifetime bracket racing and a few nitrous hits here and there if I choose to. 2nd gear is always the major issue on any transmission..

Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]