View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Gen 1 zx14 Low MPH, need help diagnosing 

Looking for a little input here. I have an 06 zx14, flies out, PC, Muzzy exhaust, stock clutch w/ brock spacers and cycle logic lockup, 40 shot nitrous dynotuned, 17/46 gearing, 67" wheelbase. I weigh 220 lbs suited.

My best ET so far on motor is 9.56 @ 143 mph with a 1.50 60'. I launch at 7k rpms, WOT and slide out the clutch. I have videos, no bog, no clutch riding.

I have become very consistent lately, which has me wondering if there is something going on with my bike. I think it should mph more than 143 mph. Reasoning being, is that I have a few friends that have nearly identical setup/weight, minus the lock up and switch out the Muzzy for a Brocks pipe. They MPH 148 mph. So, maybe the brocks makes more power, but God D*** 5 mph?

The bike is a dog on the top end. A couple weeks ago, a guy that blew by me at the 1000' mark asked me if there was something wrong with my bike because of the way he caught me at the big end.

I thought, well, my map is tuned for spray, so it is going to be rich. I found a chart on Schnitz's website that says the general rule is that for a 40 shot you add 15% fuel. So, I removed 15% fuel out of my spray map from 8k to 11k and kept the rest of the map the same. MPH still 143.

Switched back to the NOS map, MPH still 143.

So, I thought maybe the lock up was hurting me. I took it out and ran Brock HD springs with spacers. MPH is still 143.

One thing that is weird is that I cannot stage higher than 7k rpms. If I try to stage at 7500, the tach starts jumping all over the place from 7k to 9k.

Between the rpms jumping and the lack of mph change with fuel adjustments, I am wondering if my power commander is intermittently cutting out at high rpms above 7k. I just came to this possibility last night. I do have the ground ran behind the coolant reservoir, which I have never been a fan of.

Let me know your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:22 am

Hard to tell without seeing and hearing the bike .. Move your P/C ground wire to the top bolt of the stator cover ( it will fit with no cutting or more adding wire ) Check the air box for oil and check the filter .. Also if you haven't changed the plugs change them .. Reload your map , some times they can get corrupted ..

Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:00 pm

Thanks Smokin. I will re-route the PC ground to see if that makes a difference.
A few notes:
Things I did before last time to the track:
>I have loaded and reloaded the map several times since playing with the fueling.
>Spark plugs are new and I gapped them to .034"
>BMC Race Air Filter was in need of cleaning. It was cleaned, left to fully dry, then re-oiled.
>I did inspect the airbox and found no signs of oil.

What are your thoughts on the rpm's surging?

Here is a vid of a typical pass:
https://youtu.be/o7UxNDRVdCw

Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:39 pm

I just moved the PC Ground Wire to the top bolt of the stator cover, cleaning off the paint with Emory cloth and tightened to 87 in-lb. At the previous spot that was used for grounding, the bolt was so loose I could removed it by hand.

I can now hold 7500 rpms, tach is not surging/jumping around. I'm betting that the vibrations from the engine at higher rpms was causing grounding issues with the PC with the reservoir mount. Hopefully, I can get to the track this week and see if there is any improvement.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:41 pm

:thumbs:
indynic wrote:
I just moved the PC Ground Wire to the top bolt of the stator cover, cleaning off the paint with Emory cloth and tightened to 87 in-lb. At the previous spot that was used for grounding, the bolt was so loose I could removed it by hand.

I can now hold 7500 rpms, tach is not surging/jumping around. I'm betting that the vibrations from the engine at higher rpms was causing grounding issues with the PC with the reservoir mount. Hopefully, I can get to the track this week and see if there is any improvement.
:thumbs:

Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:42 pm

My gen 1 was trapping 148 to 151 (weather dependent) and started losing mph over time and settled at 143-146mph. I could not get enough power to get into the 8's, just 9.0-'s. I thought I looked through everything. When I turboed it and removed the stock fuel pump assembly, I found that the stock fuel pump sock was clogged with rust fines. Also, the fuel tank vent piston was stuck in the closed position, so the tank didnt vent well. Found that after I burned pistons. Gutted the vent assembly. I was so pissed I didnt find that earlier. Worth looking at on bikes that seem low on power.
Yours may very well be a PC issue but if not, look at these two things too.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:46 pm

Thanks KJ. I will see how it runs this week. If it doesn't run any better I'm going to get it on a dyno and see what its doing.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:22 pm

Update:

I was able to get to the track last night. I came out at 7500 rpms and cut a 1.49 60' with a 9.48 at 144.78 mph. Staged to 8200 rpms and cut a 1.48 60" with a personal best of 9.45 at 145.18 mph.

The other guys that I spoke of in the OP were running 147 mph last night. So, I am pretty happy with that 145 mph, because those guys are lighter than me and have Brock's Alien heads.

MPH is up, but I think I am still going to sniff it on a dyno to make sure that it's getting proper air/fuel. Wouldn't hurt...

Thanks again for the input.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:08 am

After last TNT, I was really thinking about what KJ mentioned regarding the fuel pump. I have a 2006, the 06/07 fuel pumps are a different design that protrude from the bottom of the tank about 2" with a "canister" design. I am pretty sure that the fuel pump bottomed out on a few launches last time out as well. One time, I felt it hit and it bent my tiger tail a little where it squished between my nitrous bottle and that "canister."

Also, from the Service Manual, the 06-07 fuel filter is not serviceable and it directs you to replace the fuel pump if its clogged.

After some research, I found that the 08-11 Fuel Pump is a direct replacement for the 06-07. In thinking about this, I figured that its totally worth it to swap out to the 08-11 fuel pump to gain the clearance, even if my fuel pump is not an issue.

A brand new fuel pump is $380. Ouch. But, the fuel filter is replaceable in the 08-11 pumps. (Kawasaki doesn''t tell you this, but there have been some smart dudes that figured it out.) BTW, the Kawasaki part # for the replaceable fuel filter is 49019-0013. The replacement o-ring that mates the pump to the tank is part # 670E5075.

I was able to find a very good used pump on ebay for $80. I bought a new fuel filter and o-ring. There are a plethora of 08-11 fuel pumps on ebay, if anyone is interested...

So, I swapped out the fuel filter on the "new" pump. The old filter was in really good shape, which I was happy to see considering its a used fuel pump.

I drained the tank and swapped them out. I wanted to see what was going on inside my old fuel pump and it was pretty concerning. It was full of sand, grit and flakes. In was in terrible condition compared to the 08-11 fuel pump, which the fuel filter looked great, but I went ahead replaced it anyway.

Needless to say, but I must have been having problems with fuel delivery. I took the bike for a ride after the swap. I feel like its idling better. But, I can't really tell if there is any difference otherwise. Nearly impossible to get it above 8k rpms unless I get on the highway. I was hoping to get to the track tonight, but the rain has thrown a wrench in those plans. Will let you know...

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:56 pm

I think at your weight mph fine, right in ballpark
I'm 160 unsuited my gen 1 on motor pass is consistent as it gets 8.90-8.96 anywhere from 145-149 and 120-122 in the 1/8
16/44 gearing 67 inches
Brock sidewinder, flies out, tuned by Ryan schnitz on q16
I always see these high mph listed by guys but stock motor gen 1 in the Midwest roughly 650ft above that's what I've always ran,

Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:50 pm

Interesting thread ...keeping an eye here.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:55 pm
Profile WWW

Mine was this bad.

Attachments:
0309121340.jpg
0309121340.jpg [ 60.93 KiB | Viewed 75 times ]

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:31 pm

Very interesting thread. I have run into this very issue on two other bikes. One was a gsxr 1000 that i had years ago (2001) and the other was a friends 04 r6 about 6 months ago. Both of the bikes I did were having problems pulling at high rpm. On both of those bikes the fuel pump was in a "plastic housing" which was in similar condition. On those bikes I "backflushed" the plastic housing and pump by forcing gas the opposite way that it normally ran. You would not believe the amount of crap that came out of the housings and fuel pumps!

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:20 pm

Holy S*** KJ! What got in there? It looks like a can of chew got dumped in your fuel tank!

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:08 am

Yep. It looked just like it. It was rust.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]