View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Gearing Up. 

Just been out on my H2 having geared her up to 19/42 for next weekend's Northern Speed Trials at Elvington. Just a shake down ride and to get a feel for it before the event.

Know what? It's absolutely brilliant. THIS is the gearing the bike should have had. Suddenly first gear is actually useable and the bike is smoother to ride. There's still more power than the lower four ratios can use, so nothing lost there.

I reckon Kawasaki just set the final drive ratio at 18/44 to give maximum revs in sixth at their 186mph/300kph self-imposed limit. It certainly gave them bragging rights as the most lively bike on the road and manic performance within that envelope but did it make it better to ride? Having ridden mine with higher gearing I would suggest otherwise.

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:30 am

Ahhh...the 'edge'.Yes...she's tweaky alright.Gonna see about getting the 19 up front...already have the 42.Calmed her just a bit :lol:I wonder if the stock geared H2 and the original H1 produced that same feeling of 'oh shit'. :o

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:46 am

Good to hear. Any thought on what gearing would be good for 1/4 mile since you have ran several?

Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:02 am

KawiDrew wrote:
Good to hear. Any thought on what gearing would be good for 1/4 mile since you have ran several?

Not sure if this question was meant for me but I would try 18/42 for starters as that will give just over 150 in fourth gear and the number of gear changes can make a difference. Biggest problem with quarters on the H2 is the wheelbase so starting with a higher gear and working down might be the way to go.

Best quarter I ever did on my old ZZR1400 (ZX14R) was when geared up for standing miles. That was 2006 though and I've been doing the mile ever since. Over to the experts.

Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:53 am

BobC wrote:
KawiDrew wrote:

Not sure if this question was meant for me but I would try 18/42 for starters as that will give just over 150 in fourth gear and the number of gear changes can make a difference. Biggest problem with quarters on the H2 is the wheelbase so starting with a higher gear and working down might be the way to go.

Best quarter I ever did on my old ZZR1400 (ZX14R) was when geared up for standing miles. That was 2006 though and I've been doing the mile ever since. Over to the experts.

Thank you for the input that's what I was thinking start with the 42.

Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:25 pm

I've noticed some things 'different' about tha 42 w/stock front.

1)The QS shifts smoother at lower RPMS...in the first 3 gears.

2)It doesn't seem to lift as quickly(or as easily) as it did.(not sure I like that yet).

3)fuel mileage per gallon seems to have gone up several mpg.My AVG went from 29 something to almost 33...same riding conditions...throttling and gear choices.My 'current' readouts are higher for sure.(depending on gear choice and rpms)Had some today at the upper 50's for a few periods of miles.NOT sustained though because of elevation changes.

4)speedometer looks like it reads 2 mph faster than the stock read(2-3 mph factory)...over by 3-4 now.

5)I can't really notice if any improvement or negative feel of the bike has happened.

6)Seems the very low speed(s) have more of a tendancy to burble with throttle held in first four gears.Not sure what it is.

7)Since I hit my 200 mark...I may return to the factory sprocket.Now that I KNOW I've hit it.No reason to keep 'trying'.We'll see...

Just an aside here...cruising in 6th,at about 65mph...it gets very nice fuel mileage per gallon.In the low to mid 40's.That may be better than the stock one...I can't remember right now.I may have been pulling that down before.If not...I was damn close.

Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:45 pm

One observation: Gearing should make no difference to the speedo reading since it's the wheel speed sensor that feeds this information to the ECU.

Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:21 am

I had forgotten that.Hmmm...okay.IDK...it seemed when I GPS'd it...it was off by four.Maybe it isn't afterall?Thanks Bob...good to know.

Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]