View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 - Yeah, I ordered an H2 - 

Sometimes I make questionable decisions....

Anyone got $1 to spare?? I need to buy a few more things, lol...like an ecu flash!!!

Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:10 pm

LOL...you fergot yer DNA filter!!!!

Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:18 pm

That is impressive Bob. To take a 1000cc bike out of the crate, change the back half of the exhaust and tune it....220 hp is really impressive.....

Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:01 pm

Shane661 wrote:

Anyone got $1 to spare?? I need to buy a few more things, lol...like an ecu flash!!!

Heh heh..... :thumbs:

Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:02 pm

someday I'd love to be that broke :lol:

Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:46 pm

Shane661 wrote:

At least with the ecu flash you'll be able to get the damn thing out without encountering the tamper-proof bolts which Kawasaki fitted to the European bikes, now replaced with proper bolts. The 19t sprocket was fun too but it did go in despite the coolant pipe covering a bolt that needed loosening. You're going to have fun with that lot. :D

I haven't got the lowering kit yet. What I need to do is source some nice mirror blanks and a Zero Gravity screen.

Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:12 am

Impressions: The throttle can be sensitive at times. It is not a bike for the inexperienced.

Clutch pull is very firm. It's smooth, but there is still a low frequency vibe occasionally. I think the bar ends may be a little light; when I rode it home I had my fingers covering the brake, they went numb...same thing happens with the plastic bar ends on the 14's. Seat is basically a plank. Riding position is roughly between a 14 and a Supersport, I believe. Legs folded up some, and plenty of pressure on the wrists.

Steering damper is electronic, makes sounds when you turn on the key.

Power is strong, very strong for a relatively short wheelbase. You feel it build quickly; will be very hard to control with an ECU flash, and is no joke in stock form. Big bikes like the 14R are very linear and predictable, this one, things happen fast. Power is coming on hard at 8k, where a BMW is barely making a whimper.

Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:45 am

Thanks Shane.....I haven't been able to even sit on one so appreciate the good info..... :thumbs:

Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:16 pm

Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:04 pm

150 miles on the bike now....

More impressions:

Handling is excellent compared to say, a 12-14R. Rear tire is like a beach ball, reminds me of 12R with 200/50, and you feel that as you lean it. Everything happens more quickly on this bike. It requires more of the rider, and exposes rider weakness. Honestly, I am not in the physical shape or practice to ride this bike properly. Lots of electronics to figure out...I still haven't set up the quickshifter. Not very comfortable for fat guys used to riding comfort couches (14R).

Front brakes are awesome. Bike comes with braided lines, and master cylinders are brembo. 330mm rotors.

Compared to any other 1k, this bike will stomp the hell out of them in midrange and upper midrange....like street rpm. It is heavy, though...and dropping some weight will really perk it up, I am sure.

The bike has a decent level of refinement...but nobody is mistaking this for a Honda (for example, clutch pull is very heavy)...and I wouldn't have it any other way. :bigthumb:

Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:38 pm

Good write up Shane.That seat...yup...at first I thought it would be fine...but realized 'out there' the slope was just too much,plus it needed some thickening.I replaced the factory foam with a pilot seat bowl foam from a zx14 seat I had here.Reshaped it,changed the slope quite a bit...got the overall shape to be flatter,with a nice gel nose piece(for the boys;)).Now she's an all day runner.Also was experiencing a vibration through the bars at about 70 mph...(6th).Between 68 and 74.80 on up was very nice.I went to the hardware store,and bought two snow brushes...the ones with that foam handle on em.Removed those...slid em over the factory grips...vibration...almost gone.Good enough anyway.(had to cut just a bit off the foam grips to fit the length of the factory ones).Perfect ID.

You can change that throttle response a bit...add a washer(like you find in a garden hose)and insert it between the bar end and the grip.Also take some of the throttle free play out.Tighten it up a bit so the throttle is more immediate...instead of having that gap before actuating.

I think the seat mod will really help you enjoy this bike even more.You have to feel comfortable...I do anyway.

"I still haven't set up the quickshifter"...just go into the mode menu displays...it'll list QS as you scroll through.'On/Off"...that's all ya do with that.Unless you're talking about the linkage...mine seems just fine.You DO have to make those QS's a bit sharper and faster than with an ordinary shift.If you try to engage not quick enough with the toe movement,it will go in kinda hard...so don't let that get to ya...just toe it up faster when you shift...and taking off and using it...unless you're really hammering through the rpms when QS'ing,it will work best at slower rpms with a mild fuel input.You'll see...if you haven't already.There are a few sweet spots with the QS and the rpms.

If you drop the factory cans...replace the Battery with a lightweight(I have a shorai)...you can get her to right at 500 lbs.Full tank.So it's even less when you start using that gas during yer rides.

Like your pics...she's a great machine alright :clap:

Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:11 pm

Some more riding impressions:

Went out yesterday with Racheal. She was riding her lowered 14R, with pipe and PC, light battery, etc...I was on the H2. We did a series of roll-ons to compare the two, from roughly 60 mph in 3rd gear. The H2 never came in 2nd...even when I gave her the hit, when the boost rose on the H2 it would shoot ahead. I'm not saying it destroyed the 14R, but it more than held it's own, while carrying about 75 lbs more. Now, her 14R has the flies still in, and no clutch mod, but it's a solid 200+ mph bike. I am 100% certain that my 14R is stronger than the H2, the way it currently sits....but mine is 70 lbs lighter than stock, with the BST's and all. It's also +2 on the rear sprocket, now.

Today I turned on the quickshifter. Wow, what a difference! The way the bike builds power, the quickshifter is a huge improvement. I've ridden an S1000 with the quickshifter (Brock's "Christine"), and it was great as well...but I think with the boosted bike it makes even more of a difference. I've heard owners say that they can't hear the BOV while riding, but I can, and probably due to my slow footshifting. The quickshifter is a godsend for me!

I've tried to describe the paint on the bike to people, and tell them it is like "black chrome". Well, the bike is dusty/dirty, but this gives you an idea of the paint quality:

210 miles now showing on the odometer...

Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:14 am

Grn14 wrote:
Good write up Shane.That seat...yup...at first I thought it would be fine...but realized 'out there' the slope was just too much,plus it needed some thickening.I replaced the factory foam with a pilot seat bowl foam from a zx14 seat I had here.Reshaped it,changed the slope quite a bit...got the overall shape to be flatter,with a nice gel nose piece(for the boys;)).Now she's an all day runner.Also was experiencing a vibration through the bars at about 70 mph...(6th).Between 68 and 74.80 on up was very nice.I went to the hardware store,and bought two snow brushes...the ones with that foam handle on em.Removed those...slid em over the factory grips...vibration...almost gone.Good enough anyway.(had to cut just a bit off the foam grips to fit the length of the factory ones).Perfect ID.

You can change that throttle response a bit...add a washer(like you find in a garden hose)and insert it between the bar end and the grip.Also take some of the throttle free play out.Tighten it up a bit so the throttle is more immediate...instead of having that gap before actuating.

I think the seat mod will really help you enjoy this bike even more.You have to feel comfortable...I do anyway.

"I still haven't set up the quickshifter"...just go into the mode menu displays...it'll list QS as you scroll through.'On/Off"...that's all ya do with that.Unless you're talking about the linkage...mine seems just fine.You DO have to make those QS's a bit sharper and faster than with an ordinary shift.If you try to engage not quick enough with the toe movement,it will go in kinda hard...so don't let that get to ya...just toe it up faster when you shift...and taking off and using it...unless you're really hammering through the rpms when QS'ing,it will work best at slower rpms with a mild fuel input.You'll see...if you haven't already.There are a few sweet spots with the QS and the rpms.

If you drop the factory cans...replace the Battery with a lightweight(I have a shorai)...you can get her to right at 500 lbs.Full tank.So it's even less when you start using that gas during yer rides.

Like your pics...she's a great machine alright :clap:

Thanks for the feedback. Awesome machine, no doubt. :bigthumb:

Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:36 pm

I am very in tune with weight loss strategies on these bikes...have went through the process many times. Will continue the trend! :bigthumb:

Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:39 pm

More impressions:

At 280 miles now. Starting to learn how to ride the bike a bit better. It's parked until the oil/filter change.

Acceleration is strong, real strong. Had the front end skimming the pavement at 120+, in 4th, today. Quickshifter is fantastic, as mentioned.

Fueling, from the factory, is a little spotty. Has some part throttle, low-rpm surging. Clutch pull is beastly, for oem. Tiring in traffic, for sure.

When pulling from a stop, it needs some rpm...about 2500 and slide the clutch. Or it will rattle. Not a 14R when off boost.

People say they can't hear the BOV chirp, but if you shift slow, under power, you will. It's fun to do occasionally, just to hear it, lol.

Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:21 am

"People say they can't hear the BOV chirp,"...Have NO idea how they could possibly 'miss' that;)Burbling and chirping...it LIVES!

Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:58 pm

Great info breakdown Shane, congrats to you guys. Enjoy!

Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:30 pm

Product testing this Brock's Performance Ninja H2 setup; slash cut slip-on made by Spark. Nice. Real nice. Will be doing the full Brock/Guhl ECU, Power Commander, and other mods, in short order. We are going to unleash the beast.

I guess one could say that the Warp12 build is full steam ahead...thread to follow.

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:09 pm

How bout a short sound clip?

wee

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:34 pm

My wish is your command...errr....

Anyway, here it is, comes with a db killer installed, which I removed with extreme prejudice...

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:47 pm

Sweet thanks. :wootrock:

wee

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:51 pm

Sounds good Shane;)

Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:33 pm

Any idea of how many dB it makes at 5,000 off load Shane? My H2 with the Akrapovic just scraped through our 105dB limit at 104, measured 1 metre from the can at 45 degrees. A friend with an H2R is having big problems with the noise level. The Akrapovic full system looks good and will get comfortably under the limit - but it's megabucks.

Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:27 am

Bob,

I would imagine it wouldn't pass the sound test if your Akrapovic barely scraped by considering the exhaust gases have less length to travel and sound to be dampened in the shorter core of that slip-on. However, I could be wrong since I haven't seen or tested one.

Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:57 am

BobC wrote:
Any idea of how many dB it makes at 5,000 off load Shane? My H2 with the Akrapovic just scraped through our 105dB limit at 104, measured 1 metre from the can at 45 degrees. A friend with an H2R is having big problems with the noise level. The Akrapovic full system looks good and will get comfortably under the limit - but it's megabucks.

I have no idea, Bob. As I say, it had a db killer in it, but I removed it prior to start up. It really is not very loud, even now, compared to what I am used to.

I have a sound meter somewhere (I had a home theater hobby, lol). If it shows up, I will test it.

Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:32 am

Shane661 wrote:
BobC wrote:

I have no idea, Bob. As I say, it had a db killer in it, but I removed it prior to start up. It really is not very loud, even now, compared to what I am used to.

I have a sound meter somewhere (I had a home theater hobby, lol). If it shows up, I will test it.

That would be useful if you could measure it Shane. I've lent my sound meter to my H2R owning friend, he's playing around with baffles trying to get the stock H2R system quieter. I think the Akra system is North of £3,000 here. :shock:

I went to Kawasaki UK HQ last week with three other H2 owners and met the visiting Japanese team who created the H2/H2R. There was the project leader, engine designer, engine tester, stylist and a few others there. We had a brain-storming session about the bike, they wanted feedback. One of the points raised was about the noise the H2R makes, making it unusable on most of our tracks and LSR venues.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:23 am

BMP_ZX14 wrote:
Bob,

I would imagine it wouldn't pass the sound test if your Akrapovic barely scraped by considering the exhaust gases have less length to travel and sound to be dampened in the shorter core of that slip-on. However, I could be wrong since I haven't seen or tested one.

I've seen 120dB quoted for the H2R. Since the dB scale is logarithmic that's considerably louder than the 105 we're allowed at Elvington. If I get any data I'll post it.

Edit:

My friend Mike's H2R was allowed one run at the recent records meeting before they banned it. The bike went 209.58 mph in a standing mile and would have almost certainly gone quicker if Mike had been allowed more runs.

They did a static noise test at 4,500 rpm in the paddock and measured 120dB. We had taken along a baffle to use and even with that installed it measured 110dB. The maximum they allow is 105dB. Back to the drawing board, as they say.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:44 am

I really like this slip-on. Very aggressive tone with noise reduction plug removed. BobC, no way is this quiet enough without the plug in it...it is loud!!

Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:41 am

Shane..are you gonna ditch the pre-muffler?It's totally unnecessary...well...unless you want to keep the factory setup.Otherwise...you'll have to get a full system...mucho dinero.Or leave it alone.OR cut that puppy off...and reweld a midpipe.Much cheaper....Image

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:45 pm

I am going to put a Brock's full system on it, before long. Your bike looks great! :thumbs:

Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:40 am

Shane661 wrote:
I am going to put a Brock's full system on it, before long. Your bike looks great! :thumbs:
What's the cost of the Brock full exhaust?

wee

Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:29 am

Wheelie wrote:
Shane661 wrote:
What's the cost of the Brock full exhaust?

wee

For the AH2, $1795-$1995...depending on if you get brushed or polished. By far the least expensive full system for the H2, the Akro is about $3700!!

Brock's:

http://www.brocksperformance.com/Ninja-H2+C479.aspx

25 lbs lighter than stock. :bigthumb:

Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:17 pm

That $1800 A-Head looks pretty good. :lol: The Akro I saw is ugly and well over priced.

wee

Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:42 pm

Ordered a set of H2 BST's...

Will report back, once measured and installed. Could be a few weeks...

Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:33 pm

Can't wait to see your finished product. :clap:

wee

Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:36 pm

Wheelie wrote:

wee

Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:50 pm

Shane661 wrote:
Wheelie wrote:

wee

Saw that one up close in the early 80's lol

wee

Attachments:
ac 002.JPG
ac 002.JPG [ 5.56 MiB | Viewed 2152 times ]
ac 001.JPG
ac 001.JPG [ 5.71 MiB | Viewed 2152 times ]
Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:00 pm

Wheelie wrote:
Shane661 wrote:
Wheelie wrote:

wee

Saw that one up close in the early 80's lol

wee

HELL YEAH!!!! :clap:

Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:08 pm

wee

Attachments:
aa 001.JPG
aa 001.JPG [ 5.52 MiB | Viewed 2147 times ]
Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:18 pm

Hells Bells!!! :wootrock: :wootrock: :wootrock:

Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:20 pm

Got my set today. Beautiful!

Weighed them on my food scale:

Rear:

Front (w/spacers & ceramic bearings):

So, I'd say the advertised weights of about 7 lbs for each wheel are spot-on.

Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:47 pm

ahhh, the scales of justice. :wootrock:

wee

Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:49 pm

Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:24 am

A little chilly today, in the 40's. Bike really likes the cool temps. Magnificent machine. :)

Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:03 pm

Shane661 wrote:
Some more riding impressions:

Went out yesterday with Racheal. She was riding her lowered 14R, with pipe and PC, light battery, etc...I was on the H2. We did a series of roll-ons to compare the two, from roughly 60 mph in 3rd gear. The H2 never came in 2nd...even when I gave her the hit, when the boost rose on the H2 it would shoot ahead. I'm not saying it destroyed the 14R, but it more than held it's own, while carrying about 75 lbs more. Now, her 14R has the flies still in, and no clutch mod, but it's a solid 200+ mph bike. I am 100% certain that my 14R is stronger than the H2, the way it currently sits....but mine is 70 lbs lighter than stock, with the BST's and all. It's also +2 on the rear sprocket, now.

Today I turned on the quickshifter. Wow, what a difference! The way the bike builds power, the quickshifter is a huge improvement. I've ridden an S1000 with the quickshifter (Brock's "Christine"), and it was great as well...but I think with the boosted bike it makes even more of a difference. I've heard owners say that they can't hear the BOV while riding, but I can, and probably due to my slow footshifting. The quickshifter is a godsend for me!

I've tried to describe the paint on the bike to people, and tell them it is like "black chrome". Well, the bike is dusty/dirty, but this gives you an idea of the paint quality:

210 miles now showing on the odometer...

That tail section is rather good at reflections.

Attachments:
H2-Crop.jpg
H2-Crop.jpg [ 203.48 KiB | Viewed 1721 times ]
Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:26 am

H2 Lowering kit? Check. PC-V? Check. DNA Filter? Check. BST wheels? Check. And now, Alien Head exhaust and clutch kit. ECU and maybe a couple other small bits....and that will be one hell of a weekend in the garage!!

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:07 pm

Oh yeah !

wee

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:34 pm

With the mods I have on hand, and removing the mirrors, it puts the bike at around 480 lbs with a full tank. Porky, for sure, but 45 lbs off the stock setup. There is definitely more weight to shave. The H2R is listed at 476 lbs wet...so roughly comparable.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:32 pm

Got a little riding in on the H2, over the weekend. Tripped over 500 miles. Also got a dyno baseline, no flash or PC-V, 93 pump, 198 STD on a conservative dyno ((my stock Gen 2 Busa made high 160's on the same dyno, my stock 14R (with<<0 oil), low 190's)).

I should mention, the 198 was without being strapped, either. I am certain that cost a few hp...but I am not too worried. Once I do the next round of mods, always strapped, and tire pressure measured. We're going to make some power!

Mon May 16, 2016 1:44 pm

Sub'ed

wee

Mon May 16, 2016 2:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next