View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 interesting hp numbers on the H2. 

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/these- ... 1667065523

WE WIN!

Quote: The figures listed are what the manufacturers supply using the EPA's rigorous testing methods. Interestingly, that means certain numbers are off from what the makers state in their materials. For example, the new Ninja H2 is claimed to make 197 HP and it's dead on. But it's big brother, the ZX-14R, which supposedly puts out the same amount, hits 208 HP on the EPA's scoresheet.

Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:08 pm

Interesting?? How did they get 208hp with zx14r? Does it make more power now with the 2015?

Stock Motor @ 270 lbs fully dressed :)
Schnitz set up and tune

Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:29 am

My somewhat educated guess on the difference in the numbers. It makes the same power now (2015), as the 2012-14.

Kawi surely underrated them from the start. Otherwise, there's no way they make 190+ stock on certain dyno's. and with bolt on mods can make 200+.

These numbers (per the article), come from EPA testing. This is probably done to make sure they have complete emmissions compliance, and based on the amount of fuel burned (in testing) they can extract an exact HP number from the results. Even if they don't use an actual dyno. I know they road test vehicles (4 wheeled) as part of the testing. But for bikes, I'm willing to bet they use a dyno, because to properly test they have to load the engine. Most likely they don't road test the bikes as much as cars.

We have a testing facility in Ann Arbor, and from time to time they would bring cars in to the shop I worked at; for tire services or winter tire changeovers. They always had all kinds of extra sensor's and things hooked up to them. http://www.epa.gov/nvfel/

Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:42 am

Interesting, yes.

The V-MAX guys are gonna have a field day with this one!

:shock:

Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:16 pm

I think if you do some research you will find that the EPA hardly does any testing of their own and rely on what the manufacturer tells them. There was a recent case where the EPA had to actually test some cars because the public was complaining loudly about not getting close to what the EPA said the MPG should be. So I would take with a grain of salt anything they publish about numbers.

Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]