View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Motorcycle Photography: Painting with Light 

Selfie from my photo shoot after replacing the rear tire the day before yesterday. This thread is for the "Light Painting" technique which I plan to be doing in the near future, and my attempts to motorcycle photography. Disclaimer: this image is not painted with light.

Quote:
What is Painting with Light?
The term 'painting with light' or 'light painting' describes a range of techniques used to light a subject during a long exposures and is an excellent lighting technique for car and motorcycle photography. Painting with light doesn't describe any specific look or even equipment, it's just a technique.

The basic concept of painting with light is that you photograph a subject in a dark environment and you apply light to various parts of the subject as if you where applying it with a paint brush, hence the term 'Painting with Light'. It's often done in a single exposure long enough to be able to gradually light the entire subject however it's also common to shoot a series of exposures lighting various parts of the subject which are later combined into a single image. ~ Author/Copyright: John Jovic.

Photo editing programs used in this image: Adobe Photoshop Elements, Photomatix Pro HDR and Topaz Adjust.
Click on (THIS LINK....) to view a larger image, and check out my Flickr channel.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:39 am
Profile WWW

This is my first attempt at light painting, my first ever light painting motorcycle photo. Not perfect, but I think it is a start. ( to see bigger sized image CLICK HERE... )

For weeks I've been trying to figure out what kind of light painting tool to use. The other day I watched a youtube video from a guy light painting his car with this Neewer C-160 Led Video Light($29.99) using a Diffuser Mini Softbox.($10.59)

I ordered the light and mini softbox from Amazon, and it arrived this week. It's been cold and rainy all week but this past Thursday night I was able to finally test the new Led light at least once.

Using a 30 second long exposure, I was able to "paint with light" my Kawasaki Ninja ZX14 taking just one picture. I had plenty of time to walk around the bike, there was no need to combine images or merge different layers in Photoshop afterwards. Like I said, the picture is not perfect, but with enough practice the pictures should look much better.

Last night I went out to try out at THIS LOCATION. The Camden Waterfront facing the Philadelphia skyline offers one of the best Philly night skyline views in my area. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control, after taking a shot of the city skyline, I had to leave the area pronto. ALL EXPLAINED HERE. Stay tuned!

Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:25 am
Profile WWW

Really impressive looking black photo painting of the 14.

1977 Honda CB 550
1981 Honda 750 Super Sport
1982 Yamaha 400
2000 Suzuki Katana 750
2001 Honda 929RR
2004 Honda 1000RR
2006 Honda 1000RR
2008 Honda 1000RR
2008 Suzuki Gixxer 1000
2012 Kawasaki ZX14-R

Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:22 am

Will_ZX14R wrote:
Really impressive looking black photo painting of the 14.

Thanks. Hopefully someday soon I could do the same using this night skyline background.

Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:43 am
Profile WWW

Hey Kofla...man you really have some serious photography skills. :big thumb: Just reviewed some of your work.

1977 Honda CB 550
1981 Honda 750 Super Sport
1982 Yamaha 400
2000 Suzuki Katana 750
2001 Honda 929RR
2004 Honda 1000RR
2006 Honda 1000RR
2008 Honda 1000RR
2008 Suzuki Gixxer 1000
2012 Kawasaki ZX14-R

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:39 pm

Will_ZX14R wrote:
Hey Kofla...man you really have some serious photography skills. :big thumb: Just reviewed some of your work.

Thanks, just a beginner still learning the process..

Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:34 am
Profile WWW

This image is not painted in light, but it was taken the same day as my top selfie. Both images are edited using an Adobe Photoshop Elements plugin called “Topaz Adjust” to help the images to stand out. Topaz Adjust helps bring the image to life with dramatic contrast, in addition to enhancing details and colors.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:36 am
Profile WWW

Last night I went back with a friend to the same spot, and was able to finally try painting with light without any interruptions. The first image is untouched, no software editing, no light painting.

Unedited Raw Image

Photo editing programs used in this image: Adobe Photoshop Elements, Lightroom and Topaz Adjust. Tools used are this Neewer C-160 Led Video Light, and the Diffuser Mini Softbox.. Click on (THIS LINK....) to view a larger image, and check out my Flickr channel.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:44 am
Profile WWW

Taken from the Camden waterfront (In the shadow of the Ben Franklin bridge) looking back at Philly. Beautiful. LSL

Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:48 am

LandspeedLarry wrote:
Taken from the Camden waterfront (In the shadow of the Ben Franklin bridge) looking back at Philly. Beautiful. LSL

Thanks LSL! You are correct, this is also the best view of the city skyline at night! :thumbs:

Click on (THIS LINK....) to view a larger sized image.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:49 pm
Profile WWW

I no longer have samples but, get that bike in your garage, hang a black sheet on the wall behind it, put another on the floor under it, turn out the lights and open that shutter. Now take out you single LED light and shine away at some interesting part.
Oh and your photography looks great, but I never could take to the digital corrections/enhancements, still love the old days of film.

Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:07 am

OzzyMax wrote:
I no longer have samples but, get that bike in your garage, hang a black sheet on the wall behind it, put another on the floor under it, turn out the lights and open that shutter. Now take out you single LED light and shine away at some interesting part.
Oh and your photography looks great, but I never could take to the digital corrections/enhancements, still love the old days of film.

Thanks Ozzy! Light painting photography is a fun and easy way to capture cool, impressive images! :thumbs:

Click on (THIS LINK....) to view a larger image, and check out my Flickr channel.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:24 pm
Profile WWW

These photos are amazing cant wait to see more ..

Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:21 am

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:23 am
Profile WWW

Nice Kofla

wee

Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]