View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 - Classic V-Max On The Way! - 

Recap of the week:

In efforts to see which parts of the boost I might still have on the bike, I stumbled across this on the ignition coils:

I am not sure if the cracks hurt anything or not. But it might be time for me to consider the coil-on-plug setup. I like the idea of using modern, reliable replacement/upgrade parts, where possible.

I'm still looking for a match for the Deep Amethyst paint on the 1985...

I really loved that color. Not so much a "blue" as a dark purple...

The panels on the 1989 are pretty nice, but do exhibit some chips and scratches here and there. I mean, nothing major...but also not so perfect that I wouldn't consider painting them. Then again I can probably pick up a mixed "painter" set for a good cost. It's down the road a bit; I just want to find the paint color for now.

Parts on the way!:

Above are the parts to complete my v-boost setup. Also a kit to convert the old V-Max to a modern coil-on-plug setup like the 14 uses. :thumbs:

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:52 pm

Notice the button in the upper left. :mrgreen:

Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:27 am

:thumbs:

Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:24 am

IT WON'T START!!

Ok, so I am sure it is nothing major. I unhooked the rear coils and battery last weekend. Now after reconnecting it all, the starter doesn't do anything. The fuel pump comes on, and the lights "blink" when I thumb the button...but nothing else happens. :oops:

I am sure it is something extremely simple; this is just part of getting to know the bike, I suppose. I put the battery back on charge, just in case. :lol:

Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:35 am

Used oem seat on the way:

Right now I am just going to install a stock seat. I am sure I will change up later, perhaps to a lowered one, that might be better at the dragstrip. But there are a lot of choices and for now I will be happy to have a clean stock piece. :)

Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:36 am

Note to self: Blue wire w/white tracer does something...

Now it runs, lol! Somehow I missed reconnecting that one...

Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:51 am

I really love the relative simplicity of this bike! It is really a chore working on modern Kawasaki's all of time! :lol:

So, this is "Nebulous Purple", the 2013 color:

None of my local Yamaha dealers have one. I am really interested in how it compares to the '85 Deep Amethyst.

I found this youtube vid (the 2012 Raider was the same color) and I think it looks great:

This may be the closest "off-the-shelf" color I can find...

Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:40 pm

Well, guys...I can't help it. It's time to start shedding weight from this thing. Maybe I will get a chance to make a few passes on it, totally stock. If so, I need to do it soon because the mods are starting!! :D

So, one of my goals is to run the bike into the 10's in the 1/4 mile. I want to do it on stock wheelbase, with bolt-on mods, and no nitrous. The challenge with that is weight. I am not a huge guy, but not small either. From what I have seen it can take a little work to coax a stock motor 'Max into the 10's, without a jockey.

I have a fairly methodical process for dropping weight from bikes and prepping them for the track. I am going to apply the same process to my V-Max. I am not going to make it a pure race bike, mostly going for the "low hanging" fruit. I am somewhat budget conscious right now, so I will start by looking in my spare parts bins. :) The first, easy bit of weight loss will be the battery. Primarily because I already have two spare LiFe batteries just sitting here:

You can see they are much smaller than the oem. They are the 8 cell models, which have somewhere around 240ca. Fortunately I have two, so that will give me a spare if there are any issues. This size battery will start this bike fine, but is definitely not the choice for year-round riding in cold climates. When the temps get below about 45f, it can take a little coaxing to get the battery going. For that I would suggest a larger 12 cell model that is a little more tolerant of the cold! The 12 cell will even spin over my 1441cc 14R in 35f temps, without issue. Anyway, the stock battery weighed:

And the LiFe:

As you can see, a weight loss of about 10 lbs...just by using a battery I had laying around. In fact, I paid $106 for that battery about 2 years ago....from China! Without ever using it on a bike, or charging it, it started the V-Max right up! That 10 lbs is equal to roughly .03s in dragracing terms. I will have to take some time to make a clean mounting setup for the tiny battery, but it will be worth it! :D

Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:55 pm

Regarding carbon fiber, I did have a moment of weakness today, and I ordered these parts:

I ordered them from http://www.tyga-performance.com. The airbox cover and scoops are kind of heavy, and this will help that. I can just paint over the carbon (say, purple?) if I wish, and still get the light weight benefits.

Soon I will have to take a little break from this project to work on another, but I am excited about the direction this one is headed!

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:35 pm

Well, the old V-Max kicked my ass today. I spent all day on it, swapping in the v-boost and the coil-on-plugs. And it doesn't run. And I don't know why. And everything is hooked up, as best I can tell. The v-boost cycles, as it should. The cop setup is simple plug-and-play. It will run for a second here or there, and smoothly here and there...but mostly it backfires, floods, and runs batteries down. It looks like I have to pull it all apart again and start from the beginning. That will have to wait for another day.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:49 pm

After sulking briefly, I decided to go back up to the garage. A bit of reading and I knew what color the coil wires were for each cylinder. Of course, I also had no idea how they number the cylinders on a V-Max, lol. Anyway, I had the front two crossed. I really tried not to let that happen, but I think that when I put the v-boost plate back in it happened. Anyway, it did start and run cleanly...but the battery needs charged. It wouldn't start a 2nd time, do my testing of the v-boost will have to wait until after work tomorrow. I am amazed that it start and ran, seemingly smoothly a few times with the coil wires crossed? Crazy!!

Whew....this old bike wore me out!! :lol:

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:34 pm

Shane661 wrote:
After sulking briefly, I decided to go back up to the garage. A bit of reading and I knew what color the coil wires were for each cylinder. Of course, I also had no idea how they number the cylinders on a V-Max, lol. Anyway, I had the front two crossed. I really tried not to let that happen, but I think that when I put the v-boost plate back in it happened. Anyway, it did start and run cleanly...but the battery needs charged. It wouldn't start a 2nd time, do my testing of the v-boost will have to wait until after work tomorrow. I am amazed that it start and ran, seemingly smoothly a few times with the coil wires crossed? Crazy!!

Whew....this old bike wore me out!! :lol:
glad to hear it's running good.

wee

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:37 pm

Wheelie wrote:
glad to hear it's running good.

wee

Yeah, it had me pretty frustrated. For one, it is a royal PITA to get that v-boost in there. I had to use an impact driver to remove the screws holding the old coils. Then the rubber intake boots were literally crumbling in my hands. I am not sure I am going to keep the v-boost. But I want to give it a try. It sure is a lot of heavy stuff....80's, baby!!

Here you can see just how much the intake couplings are rotted:

I also spied a lot of mismatch with the ports, on the intake manifolds:

I tried to realign them a little better when I put the 2nd set on. But I think I will work with my spare set and see just how much I can line them up, and maybe even clean up the casting a little. Since I will be back into the carbs soon enough, it is not too much trouble. Little things like this might only be worth 1 hp, but it all adds up. :bigthumb:

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:16 pm

Wow, Tyga doesn't waste any time on processing your order (they are in Thailand!):

I had some pretty big reservations about making the order, so I am glad to see it is on it's way. I will report about the quality of the products once they come in. The research I did beforehand seemed to indicate that they had items of good quality.

I can see I am not going to fall in love with these carbs anytime soon. I took the bike for a ride with the v-boost installed and it really didn't feel much different than without? I am sure the carbs are the culprit. I was getting an occasional lean pop through them, and experiencing some surging too. I went ahead and ordered replacement rubber boots and parts from Ron Ayers:

The various boots, clamps, and plugs came to $140. OUCH!! I also need to pick up a carb sync tool. I saw the motion pro is around $100, but I also read there is another one that works with a Stage 7 setup? I have to do some work to get the bike running right. Right now it wouldn't blow your hat off in a windstorm!! At WOT I don't feel any rush of power from the v-boost. With the seemingly lean surging, I also noticed it feeling like it was running out of fuel a few times. One time it died at a stop after a hard run. It idles smoothly, but it has no pull after about 100 mph. And, as I say, it occasionally pops through one of the carbs.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:23 pm

Nice project, and thanks for sharing the story.

When I lived in Brooklyn years ago my best friend almost got killed on his 1985 V-Max. I worked at a dealership at the time, and could get parts at dealer cost. The bike needed repairs, so I traded him my KZ-1000 for his Yamaha. The bike was a lot of fun to ride!

Have fun on your restoration project.

Kofla

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:19 pm
Profile WWW

KoflaOlivieri wrote:
Nice project, and thanks for sharing the story.

When I lived in Brooklyn years ago my best friend almost got killed on his 1985 V-Max. I worked at a dealership at the time, and could get parts at dealer cost. The bike needed repairs, so I traded him my KZ-1000 for his Yamaha. The bike was a lot of fun to ride!

Have fun on your restoration project.

Kofla

Even though it isn't running just right (yet), it is a lot of fun!

Btw, nice avatar!! :bigthumb:

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:41 pm

Pretty quiet today. The handgrips are so old that the throttle grip came right off in my hand! I mean, the grip tube is as clean and dry as a bone!

I decided to put in a quick order to Dennis Kirk. I ordered a basic pair of cruiser grips for now:

I also went ahead and ordered a Motion Pro Carb Sync Tool.

I pondered getting the Carb Tune, as was suggested, but I really want to sync the carbs by this weekend. I'm not 100% sure that will happen, but I will try to get it done. If I don't like the Motion Pro I am sure I can sell it later. :)

Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:42 pm

The Tyga carbon fiber arrived today:

Overall excellent quality, and only three business days to arrive from Thailand (UPS)!

Total weight, for all three pieces: 1 lb 15.4 oz bare
Total weight of stock pieces: 6 lbs 2.6 oz with hardware

Once I switch the hardware over it should be right at 3.5 lbs of weight savings. The scoops weigh less than 6 oz each! I won't be mounting these parts yet, they will wait until I choose a paint/painter. On my race bikes I just use Krylon, but I would like something nicer for this one. :) I am also considering some other aftermarket body pieces.

I use a food scale to weigh small parts. I have larger, shipping-type scales for objects over 10 lbs. These are my results so far:

Stock Parts
--------------
Left Scoop 1 lb 6.9 oz
Right Scoop 1 lb 5.9 oz
"Faux" cover 3 lbs 4.8 oz
Battery 11.5 lbs
Toolkit 2 lbs 4.2 oz

Aftermarket Parts
----------------------
Tyga CF Left Scoop (bare) 5.5 oz
Tyga CF Right Scoop (bare) 5.2 oz
Tyga "Faux" cover (bare) 1 lb 4.7 oz
Speedcell battery 1lb 7.3 oz

That puts me over 15.5 lbs of weight loss so far. I can't afford the really big ticket items right now, but I am doing my homework on where to cut the weight, and removing the easy stuff for now. Soon I will look at mirrors, footpegs, centerstand, and turn signals....among other things! ;)

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:09 pm

A few on the ZRX site have had their carbon peices painted with a candy clear to give it some color. Something to think about if you want to go all out with the paint.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:04 am

[youtube][/youtube]
SteddyTeddy wrote:
A few on the ZRX site have had their carbon peices painted with a candy clear to give it some color. Something to think about if you want to go all out with the paint.

Right now my plan is to paint the main panels purple and the scoops and side panels some nice metallic silver...its a ways down the line, though.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:48 am

Great Stuff Shane! Love the story and it looks like you found a sweet gen1 :thumbs:

I know it's not a 14, Busa or Gixxer... but you know I have connections everywhere in the M/C industry. Let me see if I can make a call of two and get your new steed purring properly.

Brock
http://www.BrocksPerformance.com

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:00 am

Shane you will find the Vmax carbs very very easy to sync .. The vac ports are easy to get to and no need to remove the tank like other bikes ..Adjustment screws are right next to the Vac port and needs no trick tools .. Just a plan old screw driver .. Believe it or not the Vmax is one of the easiest bikes to work on .. The Vmax does have a few problems like weak charging system ( two easy fixes ) and also suffers from slow jet problem getting plugged up from setting ..Check some of the Vmax sites , they list all the little problems and easy fixes .. There are a ton of little cool mods and lots of after market goodies for the Vmax . If you need any help PM captkile here and he can help .. He knows just about everything there is to know about a Vmax ... Now that you got one it's killing me that i don't have one to tinker with ... But I'm looking !!!! :bigthumb: :vroom:

Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:02 pm

Brock wrote:
Great Stuff Shane! Love the story and it looks like you found a sweet gen1 :thumbs:

I know it's not a 14, Busa or Gixxer... but you know I have connections everywhere in the M/C industry. Let me see if I can make a call of two and get your new steed purring properly.

Brock
http://www.BrocksPerformance.com

Thanks Brock!!! :vroom:

Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:30 pm

SmokinZX14 wrote:
Shane you will find the Vmax carbs very very easy to sync .. The vac ports are easy to get to and no need to remove the tank like other bikes ..Adjustment screws are right next to the Vac port and needs no trick tools .. Just a plan old screw driver .. Believe it or not the Vmax is one of the easiest bikes to work on .. The Vmax does have a few problems like weak charging system ( two easy fixes ) and also suffers from slow jet problem getting plugged up from setting ..Check some of the Vmax sites , they list all the little problems and easy fixes .. There are a ton of little cool mods and lots of after market goodies for the Vmax . If you need any help PM captkile here and he can help .. He knows just about everything there is to know about a Vmax ... Now that you got one it's killing me that i don't have one to tinker with ... But I'm looking !!!! :bigthumb: :vroom:

I remember syncing them with my dad, many moons ago. We had a big, yellow set of "carb stix"...filled with good-old, fun-loving, mercury!! Back in those days we had a coolant overflow bottle converted to a mini-fuel tank to use when we did the sync. With the V-Max we didn't even need that!

It is still strange working on this bike. As old as it is, it is still very "new" to me since I am so used to working on modern machines. I am going to apply all of the little fixes along the way. Captain Kyle has been giving me advice as things come up. Once I get the bike in good shape, I am going to go and ride some of the backroads that my dad and I used to frequent. I may even take it by the old bike shop where he bought his first V-Max.

This is a fun project for me. In some ways this is a "tribute" bike to my dad....it's like he's a big part of my project. :)

Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:40 pm

Shane661 wrote:
SmokinZX14 wrote:

I remember syncing them with my dad, many moons ago. We had a big, yellow set of "carb stix"...filled with good-old, fun-loving, mercury!! Back in those days we had a coolant overflow bottle converted to a mini-fuel tank to use when we did the sync. With the V-Max we didn't even need that!

It is still strange working on this bike. As old as it is, it is still very "new" to me since I am so used to working on modern machines. I am going to apply all of the little fixes along the way. Captain Kyle has been giving me advice as things come up. Once I get the bike in good shape, I am going to go and ride some of the backroads that my dad and I used to frequent. I may even take it by the old bike shop where he bought his first V-Max.

This is a fun project for me. In some ways this is a "tribute" bike to my dad....it's like he's a big part of my project. :)

I understand the Dad thing .. When i got mine in 85 i took my soon to be wife for a ride out to see my dad .. My dad heard me coming and met me in his driveway .. He said WOW that a cool bike and can i ride it !! I said Dad i don't think you should ride it , one you have not rode a bike since 1936 and this bike has way to much power for you ..He said , well take me for a ride .. I did and when we came back he said that thing got some crazy power !! He could not stop looking at the bike ..We had to drag him back inside the house .. Everytime i think about my dad i think about that Vmax ..If he was till alive he would be 98 years old ...

Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:36 pm

I just got back from a little ride on the "other" street bike. High HP street bruisers...nearly a Quarter Century apart:

8-)

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:13 pm

SmokinZX14 wrote:
I understand the Dad thing .. When i got mine in 85 i took my soon to be wife for a ride out to see my dad .. My dad heard me coming and met me in his driveway .. He said WOW that a cool bike and can i ride it !! I said Dad i don't think you should ride it , one you have not rode a bike since 1936 and this bike has way to much power for you ..He said , well take me for a ride .. I did and when we came back he said that thing got some crazy power !! He could not stop looking at the bike ..We had to drag him back inside the house .. Everytime i think about my dad i think about that Vmax ..If he was till alive he would be 98 years old ...

Lee, you have to get another V-Max!!!

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:18 pm

My used seat came today. It is really nice!

The bike is looking pretty good:

I rode the bike about 75 miles today. I actually rode it across town and put in on the dyno. It ran pretty smoothly, and was fun, but it makes no power...like 75 hp sae.
Anyway, first thing this morning I did the carb sync. The Motion Pro tool worked great! It is really cake to do the carb sync on a V-Max since you don't need an auxillary fuel tank!

I got them pretty darn close, and it took about 20 minutes overall for everything.
Then I rode the bike across town to the dyno. It was running very smoothly and definitely gaining power as the rpm went up. It wasn't viciously fast, but it is really hard to compare the bike to anything else I ride.

As it would turn out, it is way down on power. My first thought was that something might be acting up with the v-boost only, but it looks the bike is weak everywhere?

It ran smoothly, and even the dyno operator was baffled. I pulled the airbox just to make sure that the butterflies in the carbs were opening 100%. Uplugging the v-boost, (with it in the "off" position) didn't impact hp much at all, so I know there is something going on there (the servo does cycle on power up, though)...but it also seems weak below the v-boost area. I am going to pull the carbs and do the full setup on the v-boost now (I just bolted it on). I am also going to change out the spark plugs.

I have had other bikes on this dyno, and have done hundreds of pulls overall on various bikes and dynos. So I know that what I am seeing here is definitely a cause for concern. It is not just a matter of "different dynos read differently", in this case. :)

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:02 pm

Really cool thread Shane, we're enjoying it.

wee

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:07 pm

Wheelie wrote:

wee

Thanks, Wee...I am really having some fun with this bike!

Regarding the missing power, I found one problem already!

When I got the v-boost setup, the seller was very kind to assemble the setup, so I would have a guide as to how it went in. That was a big help!!

He also told me to adjust it, per the service manual. Well, I was so anxious to try it out that I skipped that little step. I have just found that at the full extent of the servo's operation, the valve is only about 2/3 of the way open. I will adjust everything per the service manual, in the morning. Then I will change the plugs and take it for another ride. I won't likely be able to try it on the dyno for another week, though.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:36 pm

Now that you have the Vboost fixed you should see a big jump in power at 6k and up.. :thumbs:

Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:14 am

Wheelie wrote:

wee
Shane alway does great write ups ...That is why i'm so glad he is here and not at that waste land blankland has become .. :clap:

Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:18 am

SmokinZX14 wrote:
Now that you have the Vboost fixed you should see a big jump in power at 6k and up.. :thumbs:

I think I have found the culprit(s). First, the v-boost was out of adjustment. On this particular set, I needed to adjust it about to it's limits to get a good setting at full open:

Presenting: The 3-Max.

Anyway, I did manage to get the plugs swapped on it last night. When I removed the old #1 plug, it was wet. So that was on my mind a little, but it ran very smoothly and I put it to bed.

While I was messing with the v-boost today, I noticed that the #1 coil wire (coil-on-plug type) had the glint of copper. Upon further inspection I found that the wire was backed out. No doubt the wire came out from all the battery swapping, charging, carb/v-boost removal stuff. I have been moving a lot around, and have had the coils in and out numerous times.

Just to verify that I had been riding an incredibly smooth triple, I pulled the spark plug. Sure enough...the plug on the left is from the #1 cylinder:

So, it is all starting to add up. What amazes me is how smooth it runs on 3 cylinders!!! It was a little hard starting, though. :lol: So now I will procure a new coil wire. I might wait until my new intake boots arrive before I put it all back together?

So, in a nutshell, it looks like:

1) V-Boost not opening all the way
2) Only running on 3 cylinders (damaged coil wire)

I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but that is my diagnosis for now. The only way to know for sure is to get it back together and on that dyno again.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:35 pm

The oem parts arrived today:

All new rubber manifold connections, O-rings, and clamps. :)

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:38 pm

Just snooping around the bike after work. I measured the v-boost valve at approximately 32mm, meaning it is not a 1985 v-boost valve assembly. Although I have never had one in my hands, I read that the 1985 had a 30mm valve assembly.

Work has been kind of busy this week, so not much going on with the bike. Soon I am going to "massage" the v-boost manifolds and try to get them to match up to the head a little better. Then I will replace all of the rubber parts on the assembly. I have some coil wires on order, but I may end up putting the old coils on the rear two cylinders, just to get it running. It depends on my progress with the manifolds.

Wed May 01, 2013 7:15 pm

OEM Parts weighed so far:

Right side exhaust hanger: 13.5 oz
Left side rider footpeg bracket: 14.8 oz
Rider footrest: 8.6 oz
Passenger footrest: 9.6 oz
Turn signal: 9.4 oz
Airbox with K&N filter: 3 lbs 14.7 oz
Rear seat section: 1lb 15.9 oz
Rear shock: 5lbs 10.6 oz
Left Scoop with hardware: 1 lb 6.9 oz
Right Scoop with hardware: 1 lb 5.9 oz
"Faux" cover with hardware: 3 lbs 4.8 oz
Battery: 11.5 lbs
Toolkit: 2 lbs 4.2 oz

I will be weighing parts as the opportunity presents itself. I happened to have some parts from that old basket case, so I didn't have to take my bike apart for some of these things. :) Ultimately this information will help me strike a balance between the lightest weight machine that a 10/10th's track bike can be, and the more reasonable street/strip machine that I am creating.

I am sure that some of you guys remember this test from Cycle World, back in 1985:

Well, I sure do! There is a local cruise spot where I sometimes see Cobras. I think I am going to make it a point to get a picture of my V-Max with a Cobra, just for fun. I think that would be kind of neat (and nostalgic!). :)

Sat May 04, 2013 10:21 am

I'm working on the intake manifolds this afternoon. I am knocking down the casting flash with a dremel tool with a mini sanding drum. I took a little material off of what I would call the "short turn" area of the manifolds. It had a pronounced casting ridge there:

I am being very careful just to take a tiny bit of aluminum. I just want to clean them up, not hog them out and port them! Once I get done with the dremel work, I will clean those little areas up with a quick bit of sandpaper. Then I will open up the mounting holes with a 17/64" drill bit, and that will give me a little bit of wiggle room when lining the ports up. It sounds like a lot of work, but it is really only about 15 minutes to do everything, total, for all 4 manifolds.

I am not sure that it will make any hp difference at all, but since it is apart, why not try? It's just one more little detail, and it's fun! :)

Sat May 04, 2013 1:27 pm

Weighed some more parts I had laying around:

Swingarm: 8.6 lbs
Rear drive unit, with shaft: 18.6 lbs
Rear fender: 1lb 3.4 oz
Front fender: 12 oz
Metal under fender /tail light: 2lbs 12.2 oz
Mufflers Assembly: 24.3 lbs
Front cylinders head pipe section: 9.9 lbs

The interesting thing is how relatively light the swingarm is, even with the final drive. On a chain drive bike, the swingarm is about 12-14 lbs, the drive chain maybe 5-6 lbs, and a couple of pounds for a sprocket too. I have heard of claims of 60 lbs of weight loss from switching to a chain drive, but I don't see how that is possible? I am thinking maybe 1/2 of that, at most.

Sat May 04, 2013 6:04 pm

I scored a pretty good deal on Ebay this morning!:

$99.99...shipped! The tire looks to be in good shape too. I was always more fond of the 1985 front wheel. This one has the same front tire model that is currently on my bike. I will be able to nearly perfectly weigh the difference between the wheels, without removing the tires like I normally do. Maybe later I will upgrade to lightweight wheels with radials, but there is no money in the budget for that right now. I might also dig up a 1985 rear wheel.

Sun May 05, 2013 10:31 am

When I last worked on the bike, I was faced with a crankcase venting dilemma. The Stage 7 restrictor was in the primary crankcase vent, and I would need to remove it or make up something to fit the stock air box (off of the Stage 7 vent). I decide to do the latter. Since the V-Max obviously makes a lot of crankcase pressure, some additional venting seems prudent. So I decided to feed my Stage 7 venting system back into the stock airbox. Later I may change my intake arrangement, but I need something that works with the stock airbox.

So I made a trip out to Sears and picked up some large bits to cut a hole in the airbox. Next it was Autozone to try to find some fittings, grommets and hose. I was able to get a fitting and some hose there, but finally had to go to the Napa store in order to get a suitable grommet.

Grommet and fitting:

Drilling the hole in the stock airbox:

Grommet and fitting installed:

I had checked the fitment out with an old airbox and I knew it would be a tight squeeze between the coolant overflow bottle and the vent hose. First I removed the overflow bottle for room to work. Then I put the airbox in place with the lid screwed down to keep it from flexing. I also attached the new vent hose and routed it at the same time. Then I reinstalled the overflow bottle:

Here you can see the vent hose attached to the vent fitting that came with the Stage 7 kit:

So I think that is almost it. I have some heat-proof insulation around here somewhere and I will slide it over the lower side of the vent hose, near the exhaust pipe. Then just a hose clamp or two, and I am done. Of course I will have to test it. But I think it should be fine since most modern high-hp sportbikes also vent directly to the airbox. The difference with this setup and stock is that it doesn't pump the oil straight down into the velocity stacks! I will update the thead with my test results once I get it back on the road. :)

Sat May 11, 2013 12:28 pm

SUCCESS!! (Except I ran out of gas on the side of the road)

I took the bike out to test the venting setup. I figured I would twist it a good bit and try out the v-boost and see how it was running at high rpm. So, after blasting around the backroads for a bit, I ran out of gas! I found that strange, since the bike was not on reserve. But it was bone dry. Perhaps I ran it on reserve accidentally, and forgot that I switched it back? Anyway, luckily, after sitting for 5 minutes someone gave me a ride to the gas station. :D

Then I proceeded to ride like a hooligan again. I got some daylight under the wheel in 1st gear about 5 times, got to see the oil light come on under hard acceleration too. I remember back in '85 that my dad's would do that. At that time nobody really knew that it was "normal"...so we had to search through the service manual and see where the pick up and sending unit where.

When I got back I pulled the airbox lid to inspect for excess oil:

Nothing! That was nice to see, because it will throw a lot out of the oil cap area if you don't have it attached to anything, lol. So, just as I thought, the vapors are escaping and the liquid oil mostly precipitating in the long vent hose.

When I filled the bike up, a gentleman stopped at the pump and said, "That bike of yours, it sure sounds good. I just turned 70, so I think I will leave them alone." Apparently you meet the nicest people on a V-Max, too. :)

Sat May 11, 2013 6:18 pm

In keeping with the 1985 "tribute" theme, I grabbed these off of Ebay:

Once they arrive, I will have all of the paintable pieces I need in order to pretty closely replicate the color scheme of my dad's 1985. Since the scoops are carbon, I will be painting those along with the side panels. Some bright metallic silver, I imagine. I will have to look around at options for that.

Sat May 11, 2013 8:21 pm

Looking good Shane .. Can't wait to see the new dyno numbers !!! :thumbs:

On another note i got to spend the day with Thomas Cronan talking land speed racing .. Very nice young man ... He told me to tell you hello ..

Sat May 11, 2013 10:42 pm

SmokinZX14 wrote:
Looking good Shane .. Can't wait to see the new dyno numbers !!! :thumbs:

On another note i got to spend the day with Thomas Cronan talking land speed racing .. Very nice young man ... He told me to tell you hello ..

Thomas is a nice guy, and a talented rider. We've known him since around 2006. He rode my 12R to 189 mph on limiter on his first pass, way back when.

I don't know what the dyno numbers will be. But there is a rumor that a red 1989 V-Max pulled over 9k rpm in 5th gear today, repeatedly, even with strong quartering sidewinds. I heard it was still accelerating but the rider ran out of room. That is just a rumor I heard. :lol:

Sun May 12, 2013 12:56 pm

It was a great morning on the V-Max!

Yesterday I pretty much had the bike in good enough shape to go for a ride, but the weather wouldn't cooperate. I was dodging raindrops with every little test ride. So today I decided that I would get out early and cruise some backroads with my gf, Racheal. I taught Racheal how to ride about 10 years ago, and now she drag races and Land Speed races as a hobbies, as do I. But anyway, the old Yamaha was looking pretty darn good, if I do say so myself:

I found myself really riding this V-Max like I was a kid again! It doesn't stop too well, it's powerful, heavy, and it can get you in trouble quick! I remember reading about a lot of "close calls" on V-Maxes, and I see why. It is quite tempting to v-boost it up all of the time, and the motor sounds great. I think I have it running better, because it pulled strongly through the upper gears, to high rpm, even with very windy conditions.

After about 50 miles we stopped for a break:

Racheal was riding her 2003 GSXR 1000. It is really a fun bike, and it has some bolt-on mods. She has been 9.49 in the 1/4 on it, and 182 mph in Land Speed trim. Of course, she has been quicker and faster, but for a 10 year-old 1000, that little bike gets up and goes, with 22k on the clock. I figured this was as good a time as any for my first burnout on the bike:

She snapped a quick pic, and I let off and took it easy on the bike. The brakes really need some work (I had practically squeeze the lever to the bar), and I think I would like to change the clutch too...the diaphragm doesn't have very good feel for what I intend to do at the track. Next up was a stop for lunch:

MMMMMM Boy!!! I have been on a bit of a diet, so this was a nice change of pace. I've lost over 12lbs since March, comfortably, with more to come. But today I treated myself! After we had lunch, I decided that it would be a good time to swap machines, and let Racheal ride the V-Max:

I knew the bike would be like nothing she had ridden before. We took it easy for awhile, and then I told her to pace me in 2nd gear, and at my signal to let it rip! That she did, and it was really cool to see her scream away on the old V-Max. She had a great big smile on her face after the ride, and she could definitely feel that v-boost kick in. Yes, the V-Max is fun. :)

Tripped it over 3k miles on the way home (on the v-boost too, lol):

That was the gist of our morning. There were a few other fun bits, some wheelie practice, including a howling 20 ft light skid mark trying to stop it after one said wheelie (very controllable, but the darn thing just won't stop!). Time to start looking at the tires and brakes. :lol:

Sun May 12, 2013 12:58 pm

Darn you Shane , you are having to much fun ... :bow: :D

Sun May 12, 2013 3:36 pm

SmokinZX14 wrote:
Darn you Shane , you are having to much fun ... :bow: :D

That's what this old bike is all about, Lee! 8-)

Mon May 13, 2013 8:20 pm

After yesterday's fun I decided that a clutch setup change is in order. Before I ever take the bike to the drag strip I want to get the diaphragm spring out of there. I ordered a Barnett coil spring conversion, and other parts today. We used to run a coil spring conversion in our big FJ Yamahas, and it was a big improvement in feel and linearity. I am not 100% sure if it comes with the center bearing or not? I hope so!

The conversion kit:

I also ordered new friction plates and a gasket. The frictions in there may be fine, but I don't want to get inside and find out they are not:

I also picked up a set of used steel plates for $30:

Used steel plates don't bother me at all. I like that they have been heat cycled already. As long as they are flat, I'm happy. This combination of clutch pieces should line me up with a solid clutch and some good spares. I will probably pick up a new braided clutch line too.

Mon May 13, 2013 8:20 pm

I'm torn , Ryans Vmax is up for grabs for me only ( cheap ) .. It low low mileage 1700 miles on the clock , but looks wise it not so great ..I think it will need a grand or so to make it look like yours .. :shock:

Mon May 13, 2013 9:07 pm

Well Shane ... Darn you ... I just closed the deal on a Vmax , it's an 86 that i will turn into an 85 like what i had new in 1985... My wife got the 85 for me for 5200.00 OTD ... That was big money back in 85 .. Thank god they made the bike from 1985 to 2008 with very few changes , so i should be able to get what ever i need new .. :fishslap: :drool:

Mon May 13, 2013 9:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next