View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 - Classic V-Max On The Way! - 

Fatsix wrote:
No wheelie? :vroom:

I was going to do some high chairs and stoppies, but I thought, nobody wants to see that stuff on a V-Max??? Now you tell me! :lol:

Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:48 pm

This morning I had an early appointment set up for the dyno. I was very anxious to see if my Hindle exhaust was going to make any more power than the stock exhaust, without tuning changes. Well, the short answer is, YES!!

It is stronger everywhere, but look at that gain at 9100 rpm...+9 hp. You can feel it! I was pretty confident that it would show some power up top, but I didn't want to guess an amount, since "seat of the pants" power gains are sometimes misleading. I'm basically thrilled! With some intake tuning, I am confident that I can extract even more power out of it. I see an 02 sensor and data logger going on the bike before too long; there is hp and torque still to be had...and I have a spare set of carbs. I am going to continue my methodical approach, and document these gains! :thumbs:

Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:33 pm

Very nice Shane ... :thumbs:

Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:44 pm

Cool close to what I thought. How was your AF ?

Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:14 pm

captainkyle wrote:
Cool close to what I thought. How was your AF ?

On top, not too bad, low 13's...close to stock exhaust pulls. Midrange, again, similar to stock exhaust on this bike....very, very fat 10-12 range, all over the place. Definitely can use some tuning, but the main jet doesn't seem to be too far off. I also trust my data logger much more than I trust the dyno sniffers in most cases. So, until I hook up my logger, I am not focusing too much on it. It's safe to ride, even if it is not making it's best power just yet.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:24 pm

your pretty slick as far as tuning and definitely not a dummy . If you don't want to switch the air box my best results have been from going down to 147.5 or 150 on the mains & playing with the needles for mid range depending on elevation. I will admit my bike has never been on a dyno just seat of the pants crap but I think Lee might agree it runs halfway decent for a 204 lb guy just playing. I am down to 180 now but all my runs have been at 204 with out gear.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:30 pm

captainkyle wrote:
your pretty slick as far as tuning and definitely not a dummy . If you don't want to switch the air box my best results have been from going down to 147.5 or 150 on the mains & playing with the needles for mid range depending on elevation. I will admit my bike has never been on a dyno just seat of the pants crap but I think Lee might agree it runs halfway decent for a 204 lb guy just playing. I am down to 180 now but all my runs have been at 204 with out gear.

I haven't quite figured out what I want to do on the intake side. I already started some mods, with the "Y" removed early on, and the crank vent I added. I have a few ideas I am looking at...both with the airbox and without. I also have a spare set of stage 7 carbs here, that should just need a good cleaning (I also have the filters and all). Since my current carbs are used, I need to inspect them to see if they may even already have a jet kit. I'd also like to replace my vboost servo cable, it has some broken insulation, and the cable is not really able to be adjusted properly anymore.

Kyle, I forget, what did you say your mph usually runs at the track? I am getting close to 204 lbs myself, a couple more weeks and I should be there. We are supposed to go to the dragstrip on 8/2...if it doesn't get rained out again.

Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:43 am

Another pic of the bike, in its current state:

You can see how tight the exhaust hugs to the bike. And a small stationary vid, from the rider's perch:

You can see the Cycle One-off oil pressure gauge mounts up nicely, and the exhaust sounds ready to cruise (or go wot, :)). Also a little intake noise from removing the "Y" from the airbox. These bikes have personality! :D

Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:12 am

I am running 6.90's in the 1/8 usually around 101 MPH & High 10's any where from 121-123 MPH

Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:17 pm

captainkyle wrote:
I am running 6.90's in the 1/8 usually around 101 MPH & High 10's any where from 121-123 MPH

That is pretty darn strong, I think, at your weight. Is that on 87 pump gas or ??

Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:32 pm

Shane661 wrote:
captainkyle wrote:

That is pretty darn strong, I think, at your weight. Is that on 87 pump gas or ??

Yeah that is on 87 pump gas & no strap on the front end

Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:48 pm

Like that...

wee

Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:39 pm

Wheelie wrote:

Like that...

wee

I always thought the V-Max was a very photogenic bike, from the right angles...

Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:07 pm

Coming this week, Spiegler braided brake/clutch lines and EBC HH brake pads:

The lines were a special order through Brock's. I decided on black lines with black fittings, but there are a lot of color options:

https://www.brocksperformance.com/Brake-Lines+C12.aspx

It has been awhile since I updated the thread. I had planned to do these lines about 2 weeks ago, but our friend Bill Warner was killed in an accident, and that made me take a couple of weeks away from bike stuff. Many of you probably know about Bill and his Land Speed Racing exploits. We met Bill at his 2nd LSR event. Just a great guy, and it's very sad to lose him.

Anyway, I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things. I'll be back on this project this week. :)

Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:13 pm

Relaxing day off work. Loading up the V-Max to make a few passes at the dragstrip. My first 1/4 mile passes on anything in about 2 years. Should be fun!!

Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:59 am

3rd pass, 11.52@120 on a slow 1.92 60'. Easily has 11.30's in it, as-is, but now the fuel pump won't run, lol. After I cool off a bit, I guess I will mess with that. :D

Bike could use all kinds of setup and tuning changes, but it is fun to ride!!

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:20 pm

Well, 11.47 is the best for today! I had a lot of fun, and learned some things about the bike. Nothing broke, and she'll go faster in the future! :)

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:21 pm

What a great time today!! From the carbs, to the shaft drive, to the tractor-like shifting, this bike was full of surprises! :lol:

Two years away from the dragstrip, and this was the most fun I could have had, by far! Totally different from the inline-4 sportbikes I am used to! :)

Plus, boy does that Hindle exhaust sound great compared to those inlines! I saw 122 mph, repeatedly, even without tuning. I'll be interested to see just how much I can pick up when I work with the carbs. I am really happy with 122 mph, especially considering that I weighed about 230 lbs suited today.

So, this Fall I will be looking to improve my times. I didn't want to beat on the bike too hard today, and I limited my passes to 12. :)

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:27 pm

Heh heh heh...more fun from today.

Right now, with the way the carbs are set up, it tends to either a) bog, or b) "not" bog. This was option "B". :lol:

I think some tuning will help!

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:27 pm

Brings back memories from 1985 at Green Valley Race City. Thanks.

wee

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:31 pm

That thing sounds GREAT !!! Looked like fun to me .. :clap:

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:57 pm

SmokinZX14 wrote:
That thing sounds GREAT !!! Looked like fun to me .. :clap:

You got that right, Lee...on both counts!! :thumbs:

Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:47 am

I set aside time this morning to work on the front brakes. As I mentioned prior, I had ordered some Spiegler lines through Brock's. I opted for the black lines with black ends, but there are many color varities to choose from.

I have the rear brakes and clutch lines as well, but today it is just the fronts!

Product info:

One nice feature with the Spieglers, is that they feature ends that you can rotate if need be, and a tool is included:

Basically you clamp them into the vice using the supplied pieces, and rotate them to your desired position. In my case, they fit perfectly as-is!! It is nice to have an easy option, though, just in case there is a little bind, especially if you have a modified front end setup.

In order to get the system dry quickly, I soaked the fluid right out of the master cylinder. This job can be a mess, and patience is a must!

Got it all!

I used a $40 vacuum brake bleeder, from Autozone.

These work well for me. One important thing is that you must pump up vacuum pressure BEFORE you open the bleeder on the caliper...otherwise it won't work!!

I removed the Yamaha plate from under the headlight, really a requirement for this job!

I removed everything with little mess, and fitted up the new lines. Make sure to look at how the old ones are oriented! The lines include the required crush washers. They are aluminum. Follow the torque specs on the included instructions!

I also cleaned up the calipers and installed new EBC HH pads. It is easier to do this before you attach the new lines. Watch for any fluid to leak out as you manipulate the caliper!

I used the old rubber bushings to protect the lines. I simply cut the stock lines and removed them.

I also "squished" the factory brackets, so as to clamp the line a little tighter and keep the rubber bushing in place. A little bit is all it takes, and it is easily done with pliers.

The work paid off, beautiful fitment!! The lines are the perfect length, and the ends have the proper bends. I also used the small rubber "cover" off of the stock lines that covers the bolt at the master cylinder. I love the black lines!

I will give a full ride report once I can get the bike out and bed the pads in. I'd like to get the other lines done as well, so that could be a few days. I have no reason to expect anything but a massive improvement, however!

Brake upgrades are popular on the early Gen 1. For now I just wanted to improve what I have. I have a setup for USD forks and radial brakes that I might add in the future, so I wanted to stick with the oem for now. :)

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:49 pm

Test ride with the new front brakes: SWEET!! The Spiegler lines give this thing about 100x the feel of the old stock lines, and even with the limited use, the new HH pads grip excellently!

On a different note, the stainless Hindle exhaust is turning a nice golden color after the track day:

I'm anxious to get the clutch and rear brake lines fitted. The bike is really coming along nicely. In other news, Captain Kyle is going to paint my extra bodywork! Yes, in the 1985 Purple, just like my dad's. :)

Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:15 pm

Shane any more luck on the Vmax?

Todd

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:55 am

customizedcreationz wrote:
Shane any more luck on the Vmax?

Todd

Have to rebuild the carbs, let it sit too long...

Sun May 04, 2014 6:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5