View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 - Classic V-Max On The Way! - 

Clear coat the wheels when you get them shined up. It will last a long time then.

Sun May 26, 2013 8:39 pm

SteddyTeddy wrote:
Clear coat the wheels when you get them shined up. It will last a long time then.

Is there any clear coat-in-a-can that is decent? I was just thinking some krylon or rustoleum for the black part of the wheel.

Sun May 26, 2013 8:44 pm

I use a high heat engine paint. Dupi Color most of the time. Any engine painting I do always gets a couple coats of clear. It helps to prevent any staining from gas, oil or hot anti freeze. Here's my ZRX motor I'm putting back together. The fin's on the head are just clear coated over.

Attachments:
Picture 5340.jpg
Picture 5340.jpg [ 452.14 KiB | Viewed 3453 times ]

Sun May 26, 2013 9:06 pm

SteddyTeddy wrote:
I use a high heat engine paint. Dupi Color most of the time. Any engine painting I do always gets a couple coats of clear. It helps to prevent any staining from gas, oil or hot anti freeze. Here's my ZRX motor I'm putting back together. The fin's on the head are just clear coated over.

Wow, that looks awesome! So Dupli-Color for the clear and the black?

Sun May 26, 2013 9:10 pm

Any good brand should work fine. Dupli is just what I've used most. It holds up well. I cleared the aluminum fork legs, after a good wet sanding, on my Harley last year. No problems.

Sun May 26, 2013 10:31 pm

Looking good teddy !!! :thumbs:

Sun May 26, 2013 11:04 pm

The first 6 weeks of ownership have flown by. I took delivery 2nd week of April, had it running a couple of days later. As I've written, I've been wrenching on it here and there and riding it when possible:

566 miles since I got it, already, even with downtime! The bike is sitting at about 3338 miles right now. Here are my riding impressions so far:

Power 7/10: I am used to riding some pretty powerful bikes, and my 14R puts down near 225 hp to the wheel, on the stock motor with race gas. Still, for the intended use of the V-Max, and with it's short gearing, it will move out in a Jiffy. The Gen 2 must be a hoot!

Power Delivery 9/10: While it doesn't have the most power in the world, the power delivery is fantastic. Very smooth, mild when you want it to be, and exciting when you demand it. At home cruising at 3k rpm in 5th, and also at home lofting the front wheel on an aggressive 1-2 shift. The sound when the revs come up and on the v-boost is an added plus. The only thing that would make it better is more power everywhere!

Handling/Braking 6/10: Yes, I am going to rate it a 6 out of 10, overall. But honestly, for the type of riding that I do with it, it's more like an 8/10. Keep in mind that my 14R has BST rims, and handles great. But that is not how I ride this bike. I was raised on the UJM type of bikes, and this one handles fine for me. It's not a point-and-shoot experience, it requires a little more planning. Ditto with the brakes; wooden, yet can lock up the front wheel. Plan to turn early, and start braking well in advance. High speed stability has been fine.

Comfort 8/10: I really like the riding position, but my legs need to get used to it. I am used to folding my body up more for sportbikes. Also the seat is pretty firm, but again, it all depends on what type of riding you are doing. For around town, short rides, or a single tank...the seat will serve you. I rode the bike 136 miles today, my legs are a little sore, and I could have used a little softer padding on the seat.

Fun factor 11/10: It's a fun bike! For me it brings back so many memories, of old rides, friends....the 80's...etc...you just can't beat it. The engine power, sound, and semi-unruly handling all add to the experience. Tons of personality with this bike!

Anyway, that is my short ride review. I am sure things will change a bit as I improve the overall health of the bike, change the tires, freshen the suspension/brakes, and get it running at a dyno-proven 100%.

Mon May 27, 2013 1:26 pm

I almost forgot when I first started running the 10.9's I had a stock 85 wheel on the front & a Kosman on the rear which is way heavier than stock.

Mon May 27, 2013 5:57 pm

captainkyle wrote:
I almost forgot when I first started running the 10.9's I had a stock 85 wheel on the front & a Kosman on the rear which is way heavier than stock.

What kind of wheels do you have now?

Mon May 27, 2013 6:17 pm

I have some old dymags that they quit making a long time ago

Mon May 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Shinko 150/90-15 230 Tourmaster:

17.8 lbs, new. I guess this is decent for a V-max rear tire. By comparison, a 190/50-17 Michelin Power One radial is 12.5 lbs. The Shinko is supposed to be one of the stickiest tires for the V-Max.

Tue May 28, 2013 7:15 pm

I haven't had a minute all week to work on the bike. We had a bike/car show sponsored by work...that took up two days, and left little time in the evening. I also got caught in my first downpour, which has left the bike a mess!

The old V-Max was a big hit at the show! Brought back memories for quite a few...

Anyway, so when I got off of work tonight, I decided to tinker with the bike. I installed the Cycle One Off oil pressure gauge kit. It was pretty easy, so I will just post the pics of the process:

Pressure at idle, hot:

Pressure between 4500-5000 rpm, hot:

Max pressure, hot, is around 65 psi or so. I want to try out some lighter oils, and this will allow me to see the impact on pressure. When cold the bike will show 80 psi if you blip the throttle. I assume that is about what the pressure relief is set at. I haven't looked at the oiling system on these, but on Kaws there is a spring oil-relief.

Fri May 31, 2013 8:16 pm

Well, up early this morning to ride the bike to the dyno. I took it to the same dyno I had it on last time, RNR Cycles, in Sterling, Va. Rick, the owner, is great to deal with, and all of the guys are great. Rick has been riding, tuning, and racing a long time, and he has a few V-Max stories of his own. :)

http://www.rnrcycles.com

It is nice to be able to just ride over to the dyno! On my other bikes I usually trailer them, bring data loggers, a laptop, fuel, etc...this one I just hop on and ride it over! You may recall that it only made about 75 hp STD last time, and turned out to be running on only 3 cylinders. Well, I fixed that problem, put in the new clutch, changed the oil to a 10-40 synthetic, and made a new crankcase breather....and voila!:

112.59 STD on a conservative dyno. We also pulled the "Y" airbox snorkel, which contributed about 2 hp of that. I know this dyno is conservative because I have had a variety of bikes on it, and other dynos to compare. The dyno is really a tool for tuning, so I am not so caught up in the number. Invariably though, someone will proclaim that their stock bike makes 15 more hp than this one, through the magic of a good day at the factory. To that I say, let's see the mph at the track! :lol:

Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:40 am

Looking good !! I think 112 is right inline for a stock Vmax ....You can see where the Vboost kicks in ...Cool :thumbs:

Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:10 pm

SmokinZX14 wrote:
Looking good !! I think 112 is right inline for a stock Vmax ....You can see where the Vboost kicks in ...Cool :thumbs:

Yeah, Lee. I would say it is probably running pretty good for a stocker now. There are plenty of little tweaks yet to be done, and I am still going over things, little by little. I will get it dialed in. :)

Here is the before and after hp comparison:

Most of that is due to the dead cylinder. I am sure the other changes made a few hp difference, too. The funny thing is how smooth the bike was as a triple, and the power curve is very similar too...just less power everywhere.

Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:27 pm

As most of you undoubtedly know, it's not one particular thing that makes a bike perform it's best. It's a matter of all of the little tweaks here and there that get it "dialed in". Sometimes that can take awhile, and some trial and error. :)

On that note, one more small tweak. I adjusted the shifter for a more positive upshift. Very easy to adjust with the threaded rod on the shifter linkage.

Before:

After:

It's enough of a change to make a big difference in the ease of upshifts, without impacting downshifting or changing to a reverse shift pattern.

Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:47 pm

Good stuff, keep it coming.

wee

Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:00 pm

Blasting around on the bike, the light comes on so often it looks like Christmas around here!

:lol:

As most know, the oil level light comes on frequently under hard acceleration on a V-Max, due to the switch location. It is even more frequent if you don't run the oil level at the top of the window. As a general principle, for hard riding, I don't run my level that high. It is just more likely to pump oil out of the crankcase, and/or lose hp due to windage. I run it at about the middle on my street and race bikes.

Since I have an oil pressure gauge on the bike now, it is easy to see that there is zero correlation between that light and the oil pressure, or any issue of sucking the pickup dry. Honestly, I really don't see a purpose for this light on my bike anymore....so I took the bulb out! :)

Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:01 pm

Cant say I blame you that light is useless. I blew a head gasket on my 89. I guess its time to fix the 1500 CC PCW motor I have in the corner. If I have to pull the engine a new one myswell go in.

Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:03 pm

captainkyle wrote:
Cant say I blame you that light is useless. I blew a head gasket on my 89. I guess its time to fix the 1500 CC PCW motor I have in the corner. If I have to pull the engine a new one myswell go in.

That's a bummer? Did overheating blow the gasket?

1500 sounds pretty nice! Is it a chain drive, or shaft drive setup?

Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:07 am

Not sure why it blew it did not get hot. I am thinking maybe the person before me did not do proper maintenance & ran strait water it & it took its toll. My 1500 is still shaft drive.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:07 am

captainkyle wrote:
Not sure why it blew it did not get hot. I am thinking maybe the person before me did not do proper maintenance & ran strait water it & it took its toll. My 1500 is still shaft drive.

I was kicking around the idea of building a V-Max from the frame up, maybe with a 1300+cc mill based on Venture cases. I don't know, but it seems like a reasonably inexpensive project. My biggest worry is blowing the driveline apart with extra hp. Of course I could go chain drive, I suppose.

Anyway, just day dreaming a little today while the rain is rolling in.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:46 am

a 1300can be done some what inexpensive its like any other project though you can get carried away. To be honest I would never spend the cash to build a 1500. I bought a bike to part out & kept the 1500 & the dymags & sold everything else so I basically got the wheels & motor for free. Number 2 rod bearing is spun. I have another crank & am gonna carry the carrillo rod over to falicon & let them check it out.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:04 am

captainkyle wrote:
a 1300can be done some what inexpensive its like any other project though you can get carried away. To be honest I would never spend the cash to build a 1500. I bought a bike to part out & kept the 1500 & the dymags & sold everything else so I basically got the wheels & motor for free. Number 2 rod bearing is spun. I have another crank & am gonna carry the carrillo rod over to falicon & let them check it out.

I know what you mean, it is easy to get carried away. I recently bought a set of billet triple clamps for USD forks. Now I am not sure if I am going to use them on this bike or not. I am feeling a little angst about modding it a lot. I am sure I will get over it in time. :)

Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:01 am

I finally got around to changing the oil, and replacing it with Alisyn.

We use Alisyn in our street and race bikes, and have had great success with it. I also use the Petron Plus additive, which Brock's Performance also carries. Brock swears by the Petron, having used it in his street/race bikes for years. That is good enough for me, and the dyno results speak for themselves. Like many, I was a huge skeptic...until I saw it with my own eyes, on our own bikes. I replaced the final drive oil with Alisyn as well.

I normally use <<0 wt Alisyn Synthetic Oil in my Kawasaki's, for street/track usage, as do many of the guys I know who use their sportbikes for street/track duty. Combined with the Petron additive, I have seen 3 hp difference, back-to-back, compared to Amsoil 10/40 Synthetic. When I swapped out my break-in oil on my 14R, we saw 8 hp, back-to-back. When I say back-to-back, I mean just rolling the bike off the dyno and changing the oil right there, then rolling it back on and bringing it up to temp. In the case of the V-Max, I decided to start with a thicker oil (10w30), and monitor pressure as I made the switch to lighter oils for more power. The V-Max has similar bearing type/clearances to modern sportbikes, so I am really just being conservative here. The bikes that I normally use the <<0 wt in have up to near double the hp of the trusty, Gen 1 V-Max.

Btw, I don't want to spark an oil debate, I am just detailing my experiences. I know that some of you are conservative in the oil/additive department, or prefer a thicker oil. As long as you get the oil to temp every time (easily 15 minutes of riding), it is fine. But basically, if you have thicker oil than you need, and/or more pressure than you need, you are losing hp, at minimum. That is because it takes work for the engine to pump the oil, and the pressure is measuring resistance to flow. There are also other, wear-related issues that too thick of an oil can cause...especially if you beat on the engine when it is cold. As an example of this, the world's fastest Hayabusa, at 311 mph, actually switched to a thinner oil, 0w20, when analysis showed that thicker oil, which was not reaching full temp, was causing damage to the engines. Here is more on Bill Warner's 311 mph machine:

http://www.brocksperformance.com/brocknm/templates/default.aspx?a=231&template=print-article.htm

You will see one of the vids on the page was taken by Warp12 Racing. That's us! We were there racing and watching Bill's historic accomplishment. We all held our breath as he disappeared into the distance, trying to become the first to exceed 300 mph on a non-streamliner motorcycle.

Back to the oil, most of you have probably seen this, but if not, it is a good read:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

I typically get my oil and Petron additive from Brock's Performance:

https://www.brocksperformance.com/Oils-Chemicals+C77.aspx

They have a variety of Alisyn oils, for those who prefer thicker oils, have modified engines, or perhaps have extreme climate conditions.

I actually ordered the oil for the final drive directly from Alisyn:

http://www.alisyn.com

Anyway, whew, a lot of explanation for a simple oil change. But, oil is a touchy subject, and I wanted to clarify my reasoning. At the end of the day, there are a lot of decent oils out there, but this is what we use. :)

Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:23 pm

Perspective is a wonderful thing:

Shinko Tourmaster 150/90-V15 17.8 lbs
Conti Race Attack 240/40-ZR18 15.3 lbs

We just got the Conti today, it's for Racheal's street ZX-14. I thought it was an interesting comparison of tire technology.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:15 pm

Darn it!! We paid for a track day Friday, and now it is going to be cancelled! I am half tempted to take the bike to 75-80 Dragway in Md on Saturday. I've never been there, but I really want to get this bike down the track! :(

Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:41 pm

Take it & have fun you have to make up for Friday some how.LOL

Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:48 pm

Shane661 wrote:

Darn it!! We paid for a track day Friday, and now it is going to be cancelled! I am half tempted to take the bike to 75-80 Dragway in Md on Saturday. I've never been there, but I really want to get this bike down the track! :(
Do it.

wee

Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:45 pm

Completely rained out everywhere, and I am sick as a dog!! Still, have some dyno experiments planned...but I need to get better first. :|

Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:49 am

USD forks in the future?

I'm just going to hold onto these for now, just in case I get bored over the winter. :lol:

Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:15 pm

Now that I am feeling better, today I took care of a few small things on the bike.

First, I changed out the little 8-cell LiFe battery. It would start the bike fine when cold, and most of the time when hot....the same performance as the weakened stock battery. It would also drain down quickly if I had to try to start it a few times. I was surprised, but I had to go ahead and swap in a bigger battery. I had a 12 cell Ballistic sitting on the shelf, which is around 400 cranking amps or so. I just wedged it into the stock battery box, and all problems are solved! It starts quickly, even heat soaked, and even with the fan running. Weight is only 2.5 lbs. :)

Next up, I had noticed the idle was starting to hunt. I suspected a vacuum leak, so I checked everything. Sure enough, the new manifold clamps had become very, very loose after the new manifolds went through a few heat cycles. I tightened everything up, and the idle smoothed out great.

Next up was the crankcase vent line. I still needed to insulate it from exhaust heat, especially with the impending aftermarket exhaust. I found my roll of heat insulating sheathing. You can get it in various ratings, sizes and lengths, from McMaster Carr.

In fact, you can get almost anything from McMaster Carr! http://www.mcmaster.com

Just a few small things, but things that I had to put off due to being sick. I should be getting a few more things done over the next week, too. I am still waiting for a dragstrip day to materialize. If nothing comes up, I may have to take the bike to the local backwoods 1/8th mile track...

Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:13 pm

Tonight, just on a whim, we rode over to the local cruise spot. I spotted another nice car to get a picture with, and this car matches!

The owner and his son were really nice. He has had the car for about 15 years, and it has a modern crate motor in it. He was really intrigued by the condition of the V-Max! We ran into him on the road later, and his Mustang sounds great!! His son was driving and we even played around a bit, romping on them, from light to light. :)

Here are some of the other cool cars that I grabbed pics of:

Afterwards, we took the scenic route home. It's a beautiful night, and the bike was running pretty strong. Will this old V-Max pull to 9400 rpm indicated in 5th gear? I'm not saying it will...and I'm not saying it won't. But it will. :lol:

Putting it away for the night:

So far I've logged 834 miles in the saddle. This really is turning into an "Adventure". :)

Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:36 pm

Great Photos Shane, looks like you had a great time. Happy Father's Day !!
I'll take the '67 Formula S Barracuda :bigthumb:
Phil

'79 CBX Turbo Black
'80 CBX The Hulk
'80 Moto Martin CBX
'85 ZX750 E2 Turbo
'71 CT70
'65 CB160

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:29 pm

Happy Father's Day, Dad!!

I miss you!! :)

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:34 am

HA! The old V-Max still has some tricks up it's sleeve...

It just played a trick on me, called, "SURPRISE!! MY NEW BATTERY IS DEAD, AND YOU GET TO BUMPSTART ME IN A RESTAURANT PARKING LOT." What a card, lol!!

This is the same characteristic that the other batteries displayed after a day or two of riding. I was sure that I had the battery/hot start issue solved. I will have to do a full health check on the charging/starting system now. The crazy thing is, it started fine like 10 or more times yesterday, even when the motor was hot and the fan running. It started quickly this morning. It idles fine. But when I got to the restaurant and tried to restart it, the battery was so weak that it didn't even make a click, and the cooling fan was running slowly. It's not a big deal....just one more part of this "adventure". I will get it squared away and having it working as good as, or better than new! In the meantime, I can recharge the Ballistic battery within 10 minutes, so that will buy me some time. :lol:

Time to do some reading. :)

Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:03 pm

Shane661 wrote:

It just played a trick on me, called, "SURPRISE!! MY NEW BATTERY IS DEAD, AND YOU GET TO BUMPSTART ME IN A RESTAURANT PARKING LOT." What a card, lol!!

This is the same characteristic that the other batteries displayed after a day or two of riding. I was sure that I had the battery/hot start issue solved. I will have to do a full health check on the charging/starting system now. The crazy thing is, it started fine like 10 or more times yesterday, even when the motor was hot and the fan running. It started quickly this morning. It idles fine. But when I got to the restaurant and tried to restart it, the battery was so weak that it didn't even make a click, and the cooling fan was running slowly. It's not a big deal....just one more part of this "adventure". I will get it squared away and having it working as good as, or better than new! In the meantime, I can recharge the Ballistic battery within 10 minutes, so that will buy me some time. :lol:

You need to do the main charging wire mod and replace the volt Reg with a better one .. The factory Reg is real bad .. I have had to do it on two Vmaxs .. It really helps ..

Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:26 pm

SmokinZX14 wrote:
Shane661 wrote:

You need to do the main charging wire mod and replace the volt Reg with a better one .. The factory Reg is real bad .. I have had to do it on two Vmaxs .. It really helps ..

Thanks, Lee. I will investigate those mods!

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:44 pm

Woohoo!!! My new exhaust is here!!!

I had done some research and I really liked the look of the Hindle product for the Gen1, and I knew it would be very well made. Plus, I have simply had great performance from their exhaust systems over the years.

I contacted Brock's Performance since I am a huge fan of their customer support, and they carry the Hindle line. I was able to order a brand new stainless Hindle system for my 1989 bike. :thumbs:

https://www.brocksperformance.com/8507-VMAX+C355.aspx

There are quite a few mufflers to choose from. I almost went with a polished muffler, but I really like the understated looks of this one.

Understated, you know, like my impending purple paint job! :D

The quality is typical Hindle; very nice. I like their new muffler design as well. While the V-Max is a classic, this muffler is pretty modern and slick!

I also took some time to weigh all of the components.

11.5 lbs, tip to tail, including all springs, spigots, and fasteners! Including ditching the centerstand, I am expecting at least 30 lbs of weight loss. This is based on weighing most of a stock system already. I will post all of the full comparison details once I remove the full oem setup. I would be lying if I didn't admit that I am super-psyched to install this exhaust! I know that these bikes sound great with a pipe, and the weight loss is going to be fantastic. I will be detailing a lot more about this exhaust, including my install, sound bites (and maybe some GoPro footage?), and finally, dyno tuning and testing. Did I mention I was excited? :lol:

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:53 pm

I also ordered these exhaust gaskets from Dennis Kirk:

https://www.denniskirk.com/vesrah/exhaust-pipe-gasket.p261072.prd/261072.sku

I guess they are aluminum? I haven't used any like these before. I am a little concerned that they will crush so much as to impede the exhaust flow. My other bikes use copper crush washers that are much thinner. I guess I will look at the oem ones when I remove the stock exhaust. If it looks like an issue, I will find some Yamaha parts. :)

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:05 pm

Whew, long day! I decided to finish it off by removing the stock exhaust from the Yamaha.

First, we can start with the finished product. :)

Now it's awaiting that shiny new Hindle!

Here is all that I removed:

Darn, Yamaha!! A few more heat shields and fasteners, and I would have kept the stock exhaust! Here is how the weight breaks down:

All said and done, 44.9 lbs for the stock exhaust and centerstand. With the Hindle weighing in at just 11.5 lbs, that is a 33.4 lb weight savings!! I can't wait to make this swap!!! :thumbs:

Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:23 pm

Long day at work. Just enough time left over to test-fit the Hindle exhaust. I have never installed a V-Max exhaust, so I wanted to go through the paces slowly.

I really like the way this exhaust looks, and it fits tight to the bike. I will get the full install completed, with more pics and sound/vid, later this week! :)

Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:52 pm

Looks great Shane. Nice modern touch.......me likey....... :thumbs:

Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:28 pm

Very nice Shane ... :thumbs:

Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:22 pm

Looking good Shane, can't wait to hear the sound clip.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:05 am

Thanks guys!

WoooHoooo!!! :clap:

Just got in from the garage. Hindle exhaust installed!! Sounds awesome!! Will edit video and post tomorrow!! :bigthumb:

Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:09 pm

Here it is....I love it!!

It's still pouring rain here, so no rides yet. The sound is deep and throaty without being obnoxious. I've found that mufflers tend to "mellow" a bit, after a few hundred miles. This one will soon make that journey. :lol:

Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:42 pm

I'm celebrating my July 4th with the V-Max, a GoPro, and Windows Movie Maker. :lol:

It's been a good day! :)

Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:21 pm

Thanks for the ride..

wee

Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:06 pm

No wheelie? :vroom:

-Glenn

Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next