View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 - Classic V-Max On The Way! - 

SmokinZX14 wrote:
Well Shane ... Darn you ... I just closed the deal on a Vmax , it's an 86 that i will turn into an 85 like what i had new in 1985... My wife got the 85 for me for 5200.00 OTD ... That was big money back in 85 .. Thank god they made the bike from 1985 to 2008 with very few changes , so i should be able to get what ever i need new .. :fishslap: :drool:
Pics or it didn't happen, :clap:

wee

Mon May 13, 2013 9:50 pm

Wheelie wrote:
SmokinZX14 wrote:
Well Shane ... Darn you ... I just closed the deal on a Vmax , it's an 86 that i will turn into an 85 like what i had new in 1985... My wife got the 85 for me for 5200.00 OTD ... That was big money back in 85 .. Thank god they made the bike from 1985 to 2008 with very few changes , so i should be able to get what ever i need new .. :fishslap: :drool:

wee
It's two block from me , i'll pick it up in the AM and post some pictures ..

Mon May 13, 2013 9:52 pm

SmokinZX14 wrote:
Wheelie wrote:
SmokinZX14 wrote:

wee
It's two block from me , i'll pick it up in the AM and post some pictures ..
Why am I looking on craigslist for an old max? :vroom:

wee

Mon May 13, 2013 10:05 pm

Wee you saw pictures of it in our for sale topic .. It was pulled from Ebay when he passed away .. I ended up getting it for 1500..

Mon May 13, 2013 10:11 pm

Ryan said it was an 1985 .. But mine was much brighter red color .. Maybe this one is just fadded so bad it looks darker ? Anyway this is the bike i'm picking up in the AM..

Attachments:
72445_4521587925431_305641647_n.jpg
72445_4521587925431_305641647_n.jpg [ 226.98 KiB | Viewed 1689 times ]
Mon May 13, 2013 10:30 pm

Wowie Zowie,
Congratulations Lee !!
Phil

'79 CBX Turbo Black
'80 CBX The Hulk
'80 Moto Martin CBX
'85 ZX750 E2 Turbo
'71 CT70
'65 CB160

Mon May 13, 2013 11:15 pm

FalldownPhil wrote:
Wowie Zowie,
Congratulations Lee !!
Phil
Thanks Phil .. It's not as nice as Shanes but it does have real low miles .. Now back to Shanes Build ... I need all the info i can get ... :thumbs:

Mon May 13, 2013 11:45 pm

SmokinZX14 wrote:

Congrats Lee! Now there are two of us, who's next? :mrgreen:

Tue May 14, 2013 6:44 am

Wheelie wrote:
Why am I looking on craigslist for an old max? :vroom:

wee

Get in on the fun, Wee! There are some deals out there! :bigthumb:

Tue May 14, 2013 6:53 am

Holy Crap!!!

I have never ran into a tire this hard. I threw it up on my changer to lever it off, and it required about 150 lbs of weight standing on it just to press it down to get the wheel in the rim clamp. I can't get under it to lever it off the wheel. It is about 80 degrees here, so it is not like the tire is cold. I am either going to have to take it into the shop, or heat it up, or something.

Now I am exhausted from fighting this thing, and it sits and mocks me... :evil:

Thu May 16, 2013 7:52 pm

I am thinking of using a little heat on the tire to soften it up...

That oughta be the perfect amount. :lol:

Thu May 16, 2013 8:18 pm

Shane661 wrote:
I am thinking of using a little heat on the tire to soften it up...

That oughta be the perfect amount. :lol:

I have found them thin rims and old hard hard tires a real pain to get off .. :shock:

Fri May 17, 2013 12:32 am

That's for sure, Lee! I just spent the best $10 ever, getting that tire removed. :)

It's raining like mad here, of course....which means no trip to the dyno today. Besides, I'd really like to get the clutch in beforehand, and my new pressure plate setup has not arrived yet. I did get the rest of the clutch parts, and even the 1985 side covers arrived from Canada. All very nice!

You may recall that I stated that I liked to weigh parts on my scales. Let me show you why. I am very interested in saving weight on the bike, but it is also very hard to tell just how much you can save, without accurate comparisons. One thing I have found is that when it comes to weighing wheels, always do it without the tires if possible. Especially if the tires are different sizes/models. So, I did quite a bit of research on front tires. My research indicated that the Bridgestone BT45 would be one of the lightest bias ply tires you could get. It looked to be about 4 lbs lighter than the Dunlop F20 that comes standard. Now, 4 lbs off the front wheel is HUGE! And losing it in the tire will make the biggest difference of all, because of the location of the weight. Well, with some aftermarket wheels showing 4 lbs of or more weight loss (but compared with different tires), I was anxious to see if I could really save 4 lbs of weight just by going with a different front tire. The answer is YES!:

Btw, both tires are the oem 110/90/18 size, and V-rated. I'm not saying that this is as good as an aftermarket wheel setup, but for $110 this is a great improvement, imo. I will have handling feedback once I mount it, but everything I have read on the BT45 is very positive. :)

Sat May 18, 2013 10:48 am

Sat May 18, 2013 3:32 pm

Heh heh........ :bigthumb: Sweet!

Sat May 18, 2013 3:55 pm

That prudy. :drool: Now you need a clear windowed cover to see it.

Sat May 18, 2013 3:59 pm

SteddyTeddy wrote:

They make them and clear water pump covers too :shock:

Sat May 18, 2013 4:28 pm

SmokinZX14 wrote:
SteddyTeddy wrote:

They make them and clear water pump covers too :shock:

Yeah, maybe I will bling it up a little at some point...but the practical side of me says that the clear cover will turn yellow in time. :lol:

Sat May 18, 2013 5:27 pm

The V-Max rims aren't as heavy as you might think. Here is a comparison between the 1985 V-Max front rim and a 2006 GSXR 1000 front rim. The GSXR rim is very light for oem, and lighter than many aftermarket wheels. You have to be careful with manufacturer quoted wheel weight, because they often use the weight of the bare rim, without spacers or bearings.

11.8 lbs for the V-Max rim and 9.2 lbs for the GSXR rim. Yes, 2.6 lbs of difference....but simply swapping tires just saved me over 4 lbs. So you can see how the little details are important. I have also weighed the rear rim, but I will get to that in another post. Captain Kyle has sold me a nice 1985 rear rim (thanks!), and I want to be able to compare early and late model rims side-by-side. I will also do that with the fronts when I get a chance. There is more to rims than just weight, as you can read about here:

http://www.sportrider.com/gear/146_0402_motorcycle_wheel_comparison/viewall.html

As I say, aftermarket rims are a different story. In fact, my 14R rolls on BST Carbon Fiber rims. But it never hurts to cut weight when you can do so, especially on the cheap (like a tire)!

Sat May 18, 2013 5:28 pm

I am really having a ton of fun, and getting to have some experiences that I dreamed of as a teenager. Back then I wanted a V-Max so bad I could taste it! Speaking of my teen years, I stumbled upon another piece of personal history today. I was cleaning the garage (and it is a big job), and I found my original 1986 V-Max fold out poster/brochure. The same one that I had on my wall as a teenager! A little tattered, complete with thumbtack holes, but rich with memories!

I had to laugh when I read, "It's got big everything". That's one way market your bike, I suppose. :lol:

Sun May 19, 2013 1:28 pm

And if you have a soft spot for Kawasaki's (like I do), then you will appreciate this bedroom-wall survivor. The 1990 Kawasaki ZX-11:

Another classic that I would love to own! :)

Sun May 19, 2013 1:52 pm

I got my 1985 rim in the mail today; it's gorgeous! I always like the '85 rim more, so I was anxious to see how much it weighed compared to the late model rim. After Captain Kyle explained that there was a giant snap ring that needed removed, I was able to remove the gear from the wheel. That probably explained why my pry bar and WD40 wasn't working, lol. A lot to learn on this old V-Max...

Anyway, I threw both wheels on the scale, equally equipped (someone did point out that I left the small axle sleeve in '85 rim...oops! Probably another ounce):

16.5 lbs for the late model wheel, and 15.7 lbs for the 1985 hoop. That's good enough for me, and my pair of 1985 wheels will be gracing the bike before too long. I would like replace all of the wheel bearings before I put these wheels on the bike. On my 14R I use Worldwide Ceramic Bearings. You would not believe the difference it makes when you go to push the bikes around! At this point I have no idea on the size/type/number of bearings I need for this bike. More to learn! :)

Mon May 20, 2013 6:39 pm

Shane any idea where the fuse for the Vboot is located ? I was riding mine and it's dead at 8k ...It goes flat line and stops pulling ... Checked the vboost and it's not working ...Got it all apart but i'll be darned if i can find the fuse for it ... :?

Mon May 20, 2013 7:35 pm

Lee chances are your vboost controller is taking a crap. If you take the left scoop off & tap on the controller I bet your boost will cycle. Not much you can do about it but get a new or good used one. The servo motor very rarily goes bad.

Mon May 20, 2013 8:01 pm

captainkyle wrote:
Lee chances are your vboost controller is taking a crap. If you take the left scoop off & tap on the controller I bet your boost will cycle. Not much you can do about it but get a new or good used one. The servo motor very rarily goes bad.

Thanks Kyle i'll give that a try and see what happens .. I just noticed that when i turn the key on i don't hear it cycle like my 85 did .. pull the cover off and watched it while turning the key on and off and it doesn't more or make and sound at all .. I'm pretty sure that is way the motor goes flat at 7k to 8k .. It fine below 6k .. It Idles good so i don't think the Vboost is in the open mode ..Had no problem sync the carbs either ..

Mon May 20, 2013 8:45 pm

I also have a few service manuals laying around here if you need to look at one for any reason. I could drop one by. Im kind of slow on work this week at least I could get a little ride in.

Mon May 20, 2013 9:11 pm

captainkyle wrote:
I also have a few service manuals laying around here if you need to look at one for any reason. I could drop one by. Im kind of slow on work this week at least I could get a little ride in.

That would be cool Kyle , could you bring that shift lever with you also ?

Mon May 20, 2013 9:17 pm

SmokinZX14 wrote:
captainkyle wrote:

That would be cool Kyle , could you bring that shift lever with you also ?

Yeah not a problem . Is tomorrow good ? If not just tell me when a good time is

Mon May 20, 2013 9:29 pm

Well, I just got back from my first night ride on the bike:

I don't ride too much at night because my night vision isn't so good. But I went out with Racheal and used her GSXR headlight to guide the way in some spots. We had a nice highway ride, rolling right along at 80 mph (or so). I really have to twist it's tail to roll with that 1000 Suzuki! I told Racheal that "back in the day" you wouldn't have to pound on a V-Max so much because there simply wasn't a whole lot out there to challenge it. I noticed a little oil weeping from somewhere and it reminded me of my dad's bike that had the porous casting in the block. Just brought back some memories. I even remember the exact area his leaked from. If mine ever has the same problem, you can bet I am just going to epoxy it. This bike isn't going anywhere!!

Speaking of memories, another tattered pic of my dad's first '85 showed up today. This one was wrinkled, and had a little character:

I thought about that picture, knowing how long ago it was taken. Hard to imagine that 28 years ago my dad was only 34 years old...9 years younger than I am today! These old pictures I've carried with me through so many life experiences...and now I am reliving those old times on a 24 year old bike that really is just barely broken in. Now I'm about to make it look like my dad's 1985. Who could imagine even the story of this particular bike, the day it rolled off of the assembly line? How many of our bikes have great stories and experiences attached to them? More than any other bike I've owned in the last 10 years, this bike is bringing me home to what I love, and have missed, about motorcycling. :)

Mon May 20, 2013 9:40 pm

SmokinZX14 wrote:
Shane any idea where the fuse for the Vboot is located ? I was riding mine and it's dead at 8k ...It goes flat line and stops pulling ... Checked the vboost and it's not working ...Got it all apart but i'll be darned if i can find the fuse for it ... :?

Sounds like Kyle has you covered, Lee. There is also a manual for download at the Vmax Outlaw site, I believe. Just in case you can't sleep. :D

Mon May 20, 2013 9:42 pm

Shane661 wrote:
SmokinZX14 wrote:

Sounds like Kyle has you covered, Lee. There is also a manual for download at the Vmax Outlaw site, I believe. Just in case you can't sleep. :D

LOL Shane .. i'm losing sleep because this thing is down on power !!! I want full power like yours !! :thumbs:

Mon May 20, 2013 10:00 pm

Kyle if you missed my PM i got my days mixed up , i was thinking today was tuesday .. I'll be here tuesday and every day this week .. :thumbs:

Mon May 20, 2013 10:09 pm

Nice write up.,
Funny how its a bike that inspired a generation! For the same reason I bought the vmax I had 2 yrs ago.
My father was a die hard Yamaha guy, n it ispired me to buy one to double my family with. Its an excellent 2 up bike.
I wound up installing ufo 4-1 pipe, stage 7 kit (later replaced because I could not get it to carburate well enough) vboost switch, drag bars, rizoma bar end morrors, and zx14 front end conversion. The zx14 front end and brakes brought the bike back to new world handling and braking. Handling as well as any non sport bike chasis has any right to, and braking that was unreal, as we all know the zx14 has arguably the best brakes out there. I did end up doing race tech 1.1kg/mm springs, 7 wt belray fork oil, and increased the fork oil by 8cc in the forks. I found it a bit stiff in intial travel and would consider 5 wt oil next time, but still increased capacity for bottoming.

anyway I have to say although not our fastest bike in the garage , arguably the most fun to ride with so much character. Love the sound and since its upright riding position the torque is transferred through yout shoulders and torso, so you really feel it pull more than a sport bike does wheras it pushes through your bottom and back.

The reason guys still do the 18" tire is for final gearing. Its taller and you will find yourself looking for a venture rear axle gear to make up for the lowered effective final ratio / increased rpm on the stret with a 17".

I look forward to watching your build!
I will back out and observe. :thumbs:
Cant wait to see the results!
Maybe when the divorce dust settles I will buy another, or possibly mine back.

Tue May 21, 2013 1:57 am

dubious wrote:
Nice write up.,
Funny how its a bike that inspired a generation! For the same reason I bought the vmax I had 2 yrs ago.
My father was a die hard Yamaha guy, n it ispired me to buy one to double my family with. Its an excellent 2 up bike.
I wound up installing ufo 4-1 pipe, stage 7 kit (later replaced because I could not get it to carburate well enough) vboost switch, drag bars, rizoma bar end morrors, and zx14 front end conversion. The zx14 front end and brakes brought the bike back to new world handling and braking. Handling as well as any non sport bike chasis has any right to, and braking that was unreal, as we all know the zx14 has arguably the best brakes out there. I did end up doing race tech 1.1kg/mm springs, 7 wt belray fork oil, and increased the fork oil by 8cc in the forks. I found it a bit stiff in intial travel and would consider 5 wt oil next time, but still increased capacity for bottoming.

anyway I have to say although not our fastest bike in the garage , arguably the most fun to ride with so much character. Love the sound and since its upright riding position the torque is transferred through yout shoulders and torso, so you really feel it pull more than a sport bike does wheras it pushes through your bottom and back.

The reason guys still do the 18" tire is for final gearing. Its taller and you will find yourself looking for a venture rear axle gear to make up for the lowered effective final ratio / increased rpm on the stret with a 17".

I look forward to watching your build!
I will back out and observe. :thumbs:
Cant wait to see the results!
Maybe when the divorce dust settles I will buy another, or possibly mine back.

Thanks for posting, Lyle. Funny how so many of us were inspired by the V-Max, as you say. :)

Tue May 21, 2013 8:06 pm

Quiet here tonight. I've ridden the bike about 120 miles this week, mostly after work in the evenings. I am starting to get a little backed up on my "to do" list here. Right now, I have on the immediate horizon:

Refinish '85 front wheel (after checking for run out)
Clean up '85 rear wheel
Replace wheel bearings
Inspect clutch/Install Barnett Pressure Plate
Bleed brakes and clutch
Install new front tire/balance

Also, I just ordered one of these to install:

Shinko Tourmaster 150/90-15 rear tire.

I know that many of you have great experiences with these tires. I'm looking for a good street/strip tire, and this seems like a good choice. I also have feedback that it is not as heavy as I feared. I will weigh it as soon as I get it. I am keeping focus on slimming the bike down. Even without changing the exhaust, I am setting my sights on trimming 40 lbs from the bike.

Outside of that I did order one of these too:

Cycle One-Off Oil Pressure Gauge

That install might wait a bit, until some of the more basic things are completed. I'd like to get it on the dyno soon, but want to do the clutch first. I also want to switch over to my preferred synthetic oil for street/track (Alisyn). I have also signed up for a track day at Maryland International Raceway, in June:

http://www.streetbikeseminars.com/

MIR is a great track, and I usually will get over 30 1/4 mile runs in on a day like this. I have decided to limit my passes on the V-Max though, I don't want to beat on it too hard. I am still a little nervous about the longevity of the gearbox and driveshaft under racing conditions. I haven't made a 1/4 mile pass in around 18 months, so this should be interesting!

I guess I have a few irons in the fire on this project. :)

Fri May 24, 2013 5:20 pm

Shane, great thread, just got done reading the whole thing. Great history and story behind your experience with your Dad's V-Max's growing up. It looks like you brought this bike back to life. It looks mint in the pics BTW. Great job! I really enjoyed it! :clap:

Fri May 24, 2013 10:50 pm

Great stroke of luck this morning! I was taking a little cruise up to the hardware store, and I thought I might have spied a 427 Cobra replica in the distance! I rode up between some cars at the light, to get a better look...and sure enough!! I asked him where he was headed, and told him I would love to get a picture of my bike with the car. He said, no problem!

It turns out that the guy lives about 5 miles from me! He built this car in 2000, and has over 100k miles on it! It has a 347 small block in it, and he does autocross with it every weekend. I told him I was going to do a little more to the bike, repaint it, etc...told him about the one my dad had. I got his card, and when my bike is done I am going to get some more pictures of the soon-to-be purple V-Max and his car. :)

Sat May 25, 2013 7:52 pm

epd345 wrote:
Shane, great thread, just got done reading the whole thing. Great history and story behind your experience with your Dad's V-Max's growing up. It looks like you brought this bike back to life. It looks mint in the pics BTW. Great job! I really enjoyed it! :clap:

Thanks! I am just getting into the fun I plan to have on this great, classic bike! :)

Sat May 25, 2013 7:52 pm

Well, I've been busy reorganizing the garage, and I finally had some time to throw the bike up on a lift.

To keep it short and sweet, the Barnett pressure plate is in:

Everything looked pretty good, but I replaced all of the frictions. I didn't really like the way the little retaining wire went in; I think I may open it up again and replace it. It just seemed like I had to distort it a little, even though it was seated all of the way in the groove in the hub. I don't want to worry about it coming out. First time I have seen an arrangement like that. Whatever the case, I am going to order a couple of spare gaskets and wire retainers.

Clutch pull is fine, much lighter than the heavy springs in my 14R. I want to put a braided clutch line on it before I get it to the dragstrip. I expect it to spend a fair amount of time on the lift over the next two weeks, getting ready for it's maiden voyage at my track.

I found out that the original owner did take it to the dragstrip once. He was a 200 lb rider...but at 7500' DA. Meaning, like racing 1.5 miles up! The bike ran 12.20's, but that is easily about a second off what it should have run under sea level conditions, if corrected. Since I am 215 lbs, haven't made a dragstrip pass in 18 months, and the bike is sure to be less than optimum, I will set my goal for the first track day at 11.50's. I have plenty of time to improve during the season. :)

Sat May 25, 2013 8:35 pm

Just ditch the retaining ring the spacer & the half disc & put a full disc in it. Problem solved

Sun May 26, 2013 9:29 am

captainkyle wrote:
Just ditch the retaining ring the spacer & the half disc & put a full disc in it. Problem solved

I'll keep that in mind, Kyle. I am a little nervous about taking the cushion out...I wonder if it helps preserve driveshafts at the dragstrip? I'm pretty nervous about hurting the bike!

I am losing weight, and the bike needs to. That might also help keep it from sustaining driveline injury.

Sun May 26, 2013 3:51 pm

I have been running all my Max's that way for about 10 years now & so far had good luck with the exception of my first Max which had a stock clutch & I weighed 165 back then. I managed to break a couple shafts on it. I weighed in at 204 with out my gear last time I had mine out but im shedding a little off me now to. I have dropped 15 lbs off me already need to lose about 20 more & I will be good to go.

Sun May 26, 2013 6:01 pm

captainkyle wrote:
I have been running all my Max's that way for about 10 years now & so far had good luck with the exception of my first Max which had a stock clutch & I weighed 165 back then. I managed to break a couple shafts on it. I weighed in at 204 with out my gear last time I had mine out but im shedding a little off me now to. I have dropped 15 lbs off me already need to lose about 20 more & I will be good to go.

Are you using the air shifter now? Do you think my goal of 11.50's first time out is reasonable, through stock pipes, at 225 suited? Keeping in mind I haven't made a single pass in 18 months, on anything...

Sun May 26, 2013 6:38 pm

Shane661 wrote:
captainkyle wrote:

Are you using the air shifter now? Do you think my goal of 11.50's first time out is reasonable, through stock pipes, at 225 suited? Keeping in mind I haven't made a single pass in 18 months, on anything...
At 210 pounds, the best I got out of my 1985 V-Max was 11.00@124mph. 11.50 doesn't sound that bad for a first time out.

wee

Sun May 26, 2013 6:42 pm

Wheelie wrote:
Shane661 wrote:
captainkyle wrote:

At 210 pounds, the best I got out of my 1985 V-Max was 11.00@124mph. 11.50 doesn't sound that bad for a first time out.

wee

Cool, I'll take an 11.50 if I can get it. Was that 11.0 stock, Wee?

Sun May 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Well, I got some time to start messing with that '85 front wheel. First I wanted to give it quick inspection for runout, and it seems pretty darn straight.

Don't let the above "shiny" picture fool you, it is pretty corroded. All along the "shiny" parts, pretty deep on one side.

So, I am going to take a couple of hours with some sandpaper this week. I'm guessing that by the time I do bearings and seals, sanding, and paint, I will have a full day of work in the wheel. I barely have the patience for this kind of work! Hope it turns out ok. I have no idea how to keep it shiny when I am done though, I have go through any and all clear coating to get the corrosion out.

Sun May 26, 2013 7:49 pm

Quote:
Cool, I'll take an 11.50 if I can get it. Was that 11.0 stock, Wee?
Yep, all stock, pump gas. Good luck :thumbs:

wee

Sun May 26, 2013 8:00 pm

I think 11.50 is doable. I have only raced using the air shifter once & was having some problems with it so did not get but about 2 passes in where things were working right & my 60 ft sucked. Best I got was a 10.97 . I ran a few 10.98's foot shifting. I think mine has a little more left in it just need to get my 60 ft down. Its to hot now & I probably wont race any more for till it cools down again.

Sun May 26, 2013 8:06 pm

captainkyle wrote:
I think 11.50 is doable. I have only raced using the air shifter once & was having some problems with it so did not get but about 2 passes in where things were working right & my 60 ft sucked. Best I got was a 10.97 . I ran a few 10.98's foot shifting.

Is your motor stock? Doesn't seem like a whole lot of them run in the 10's, regularly. What's a decent 60', on a stock setup? I am thinking it takes a little while to figure out how to ride it with that shaft drive, and it is plenty happy to lift the front wheel.

Sun May 26, 2013 8:10 pm

Shane661 wrote:
captainkyle wrote:
I think 11.50 is doable. I have only raced using the air shifter once & was having some problems with it so did not get but about 2 passes in where things were working right & my 60 ft sucked. Best I got was a 10.97 . I ran a few 10.98's foot shifting.

Is your motor stock? Doesn't seem like a whole lot of them run in the 10's, regularly. What's a decent 60', on a stock setup? I am thinking it takes a little while to figure out how to ride it with that shaft drive, and it is plenty happy to lift the front wheel.

Motor is bone stock . I have a marks 4 into1 exaust & a stage 7 with the vboost still working & I have lighter wheels on it. If you can get a 1.70 60 ft you will be doing good. I think my best 60 ft is 1.69. I am sure there are some people that can do better than that but its decent for the setup. That 10,97 I ran I had like a 1.84 60 ft that is why I say there is some left in it.

Sun May 26, 2013 8:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next