View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 my "brake caliper rebuild" virginity about to be gone 

I've never kept a bike long enough to have to do the brake calipers. but i bought a '99 bike.

when i replaced the brake lines and pads I noticed a slight drag on the rotors after bleeding. not to severe, but I only get around 3/4 of a wheel worth of spin, instead of the 2-2.5 spins I'm used too. opened the bleeder valves, still the drag so i don't think its a master cylinder issue or lines issue. also cleaned the calipers again, still the slight drag.

someone suggested for me to look at the service manual and see if it addresses "15 year old" fluid issues. it didn't, but it did say to replace the seals in the calipers "every 4 years" Image

This old bike is coming around, the fork seals Lee did is making it handle like me race prepped 600RR did :P

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j180/ ... P_2059.jpg

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:12 am

SteveWFL wrote:
I've never kept a bike long enough to have to do the brake calipers. but i bought a '99 bike.

when i replaced the brake lines and pads I noticed a slight drag on the rotors after bleeding. not to severe, but I only get around 3/4 of a wheel worth of spin, instead of the 2-2.5 spins I'm used too. opened the bleeder valves, still the drag so i don't think its a master cylinder issue or lines issue. also cleaned the calipers again, still the slight drag.

someone suggested for me to look at the service manual and see if it addresses "15 year old" fluid issues. it didn't, but it did say to replace the seals in the calipers "every 4 years" Image

This old bike is coming around, the fork seals Lee did is making it handle like me race prepped 600RR did :P

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j180/ ... P_2059.jpg
My CBX brakes were dragging, the pads ride on two small rods, pads move in and out, rods were very dirty so the pads didn't move freely, pulled the rods out and cleaned them, I don't know if yours work like that, but the pads have to move on something, what ever it rides on clean it. Maybe this will help.

wee

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:18 am

Same 6 piston calipers that the ZRX uses. They are known for draggin. Fully disassemble and clean. Install new seals and you should be good. If you want to up grade, get a set of 4 pistons calipers off a TL1000 or 97-00 GSXR 600 Srad. They bolt right on and work much better. Much stronger bite with a lot less pressure on the lever. I put a set on the drag bike and the difference was very noticable.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:20 am

SteddyTeddy wrote:
Same 6 piston calipers that the ZRX uses. They are known for draggin. Fully disassemble and clean. Install new seals and you should be good. If you want to up grade, get a set of 4 pistons calipers off a TL1000 or 97-00 GSXR 600 Srad. They bolt right on and work much better. Much stronger bite with a lot less pressure on the lever. I put a set on the drag bike and the difference was very noticable.

First rebuild went so well. I have second ZX9 and doing this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

calipers I just ordered off ebay, next ordering the seals and new nipples Image

Thanks for the tip!

Fri May 10, 2013 3:38 pm

Hi Lou,
Do these calipers take the standard pattern brake pads and can the standard discs be retained?
Thanks,
Tim

Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]