View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Sam and new partner in crime Ted have been busy this week 

While waiting for a few dollars to avail themselves for new cams for the new motor for the 14 Ted, our new partner in crime, and Sam wanted to tackle putting the Turbo Busa back together pretty much like it used to be for now. Ted used the new Wossner 83mm turbo pistons and block I already had bored and replated but the money just wasn't there for the complete 2nd gen crank and Carillo H-beam rods. Soooooo, no stupid big power for now. We'll just have to keep it down in the 325 horsepower range to the tire for now. Still, that's more than a lot of people have on tap other than big N2O and other turbo bikes so I think it ought to run OK. It ran 5.48 @ 135 with Sam before on a 1.47 60' time so hopefully we'll be able to easily best that time with a fancy boost controller to bring in the power more progressively. We had nothing before but Sam's throttle hand and that's kinda tough on a turbo bike if you've never tried it. Here are a couple of pics of where we stand now. It's back together and running as of this evening but a lot of attention needs to be placed on the little things at this point. They started it and rode it down the street but it still has to be tuned as the map in the PC is for a smaller motor with much more compression. We've still got to acquire a dual stage boost controller and figure out how much power the bike can stand so it can be launched particularly aggressively in 1st gear without climbing or doing anything else stupid and then how soon we can pull in the rest of the power available. This bike is well over 500 pounds with no fuel so it's going to take stupid power to get it to run a decent number. Hopefully we'll have enough this time. Oh yeah, the new tail section is going to be painted black to look just like the other, shorter one did. The white and green just won't work on the silver and black bike. At least not for me. I know I'm leaving out a lot of details but this is just a preliminary post to show where we're at. I'll get more details later as the bikes comes together better and we get some real dyno numbers and track times in the Spring. Any comments or questions welcomed.

Attachments:
front view of turbo busa motor.jpg
front view of turbo busa motor.jpg [ 120.41 KiB | Viewed 1148 times ]
turbo busa motor ready to go back in frame.jpg
turbo busa motor ready to go back in frame.jpg [ 78.12 KiB | Viewed 1148 times ]
close up to show how tail covers rear tire.jpg
close up to show how tail covers rear tire.jpg [ 69.13 KiB | Viewed 1148 times ]
new tail section for turbo busa.jpg
new tail section for turbo busa.jpg [ 95.7 KiB | Viewed 1148 times ]
left side full view with new tail.jpg
left side full view with new tail.jpg [ 118.14 KiB | Viewed 1148 times ]

Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:15 pm

:thumbs: :bow:

Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:39 pm

Lookin good! Come on spring time.

How We Got Started

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:46 am

Looks good Keep us updated

Shorty's Performance

Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:26 am
Profile WWW

Thanks for the replies, guys. I can't go crazy with the Busa as there's still some work to do to get the 14 running again also. I've acquired another motor for it to replace the old one that completely grenaded itself but just didn't expect to have to start from square one again. I've got to get together with Shorty and try to form up another plan for this racing season. Madness Racing motor looks like it's going to have to wait for funding that just isn't there now. Drat. Looks like the Busa is going to be the fast bike in our camp for this season unless Ted's bike outruns it. Nothing I personally have will take it down anytime soon.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:54 pm

Sam picked up the Turbo Busa and the Baby Gixxer from Ted's shop and took a couple of pics so I thought I'd share. Nothing really special except for this is the only time since I've owned the bikes that they're both running at the same time. That doesn't happen often, trust me. Oh well, on to the pics.

Attachments:
turbo busa and Baby Gixxer on trailer.jpg
turbo busa and Baby Gixxer on trailer.jpg [ 116.66 KiB | Viewed 1089 times ]
full side view new tail section black.jpg
full side view new tail section black.jpg [ 169.82 KiB | Viewed 1089 times ]
new tail section for turbo busa black.jpg
new tail section for turbo busa black.jpg [ 106.69 KiB | Viewed 1089 times ]

Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:38 pm

Well, here's a couple more pics of the finished product. Sam went down the road with it yesterday and to no surprise, it literally blows the tire away in the 1st 5 gears with no problem once the boost hits. It was in the lower 30's temperature wise with the DA sitting at -2300 feet so the tire really didn't have a chance. Still, the boost hits and hits hard. More like a turbo bike now since it's got the turbo pistons in it finally. We need to go tune it to make sure it's making between 325 and 350 horsepower. Don't want too much and can't stand it to be too low either. Lots and lots of fast bikes around at the moment, especially in the 1/8th mile like we run. Bike is still well over 500 pounds without rider so the raceweight is going to be somewhere between 750 and 775 pounds. It's going to take a lot to get this barge moving. It's not a grudge bike so the weight isn't likely to be much less anytime soon. I just hope we'll have close to a 7 second (low 5 1/8th mile) streetbike when all is said and done. It sure would be nice to trap 140 and 180 also but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
Here's a couple pics of how it stood yesterday. BTW, that big giant ass MOFO behind the bike is me. Opinions welcome and thanks for looking.

Attachments:
busa left side.jpg
busa left side.jpg [ 105.58 KiB | Viewed 1067 times ]
busa right side Ram truck and Dave behind..jpg
busa right side Ram truck and Dave behind..jpg [ 99.06 KiB | Viewed 1067 times ]

Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:43 pm

Finally, a pick of the Hemi :lol:

wee

Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:47 pm

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing. Which Turbo are you running on the Busa, plan is for how many psi.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:01 pm

Wheelie wrote:
Finally, a pick of the Hemi :lol:

wee

Like how I kinda slipped that one in, huh Wee???? :lol: Actually, I love the Ram Hemi. As much as it's costing me I'd better love the stupid thing. I could have bought 2 Pro Street bikes with a bunch of money left over for what it's costing me. Heck, wait til I start modding it. Yeah, something's definitely wrong with me. :?

Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:28 pm

Romans wrote:
Nice pics. Thanks for sharing. Which Turbo are you running on the Busa, plan is for how many psi.

Thanks, Romans. I really don't know what turbo is on it. I bought it as a RCC Stage II turbo kit according to the gentleman I bought it from. It's whatever Richard supplies with his Stage I and II turbo kits for the Busa. I called him when I bought the bike and he said there was enough turbo on the bike to make 425 to maybe as much as 450 with larger injectors or the plenum with the extra injectors and a microtech computer to fire them off. I'm not trying to go anywhere near the limit of what I have now so I hope I'm safe. On the PSI, I'm not really sure what boost I need to run. It was set around 10, maybe 10.5 when it put down 285 to the tire on the bone stock motor using a particularly non dyno friendly tire. Plan is to make somewhere between 325 and 350 to the tire now with the new 83mm turbo pistons so I'm figuring it'll have to be in the 14-15 PSI range to accomplish this. I've still got to get a fancy boost controller to bring in the power softly or we probably won't even be able to run 5.50's. I figure we'll pull in the max power only in 3rd gear or last couple of seconds of the pass. Since we won't be making much power for most of the run, I figure it should be as reliable as you can get given what we have. Oh yeah, running c16 exclusively this time. I can say this, it finally hits like a turbo given the lower compression and larger pistons. It's nasty once the boost comes on and the transition is much more violent than before. We need another tune before beating the crap out of it at the track as it's still got the same tune as with the stock, higher compression pistons. Sam has not gone over half throttle yet. No need. Tire won't hook in this weather on the street. Period. I'll try to post up the dyno sheet once we get the bike tuned.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:41 pm

Sam and Ted are at it again tonight buttoning up every little undone thing on the Busa so they're ready for Winterfest at Kinston Dragway next weekend. There's not a motorcycle class but they're going over for a little TNT action to see how things are working on both the Baby Gixxer and the Turbo Busa. Gotta make sure all the body panels are bolted on good as well as the steering stabilizer before hitting the track. Also checking the air shifter and pump to make sure all that is in order too. Hopefully next weekend I'll have some numbers to report. Don't expect much first time out but it'll be a starting point no matter how slow they run. Just hoping the weather cooperates.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:45 pm

I finally got ahold of Rodney Williford about tweaking the tune on the Busa since the new motor combo is complete. It's scheduled for Sunday, February 9th. He said he's a little afraid to try to push for 350 to the tire with the stock bottom end in the bike save for the pistons but he's going to start out a little over 300 and go from there. He want's to keep it somewhat reliable. I'm figuring the bike won't be making maximum power but 2 seconds during a run and that ought to save the motor but I guess I'll make that final determination after speaking with Rodney in person. The good thing about a turbo bike is that you can pretty much make whatever power you want to up to maxing out the fuel system and turbo. Don't need to take chances on the tune. Just crank another pound of boost in and there's 15-20 more horsepower. I love a turbo. :D

Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]