View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 2011 Concours with Full Gen 1 Hindle ZX14 Exhaust 

Thanks to Lee's posts about installing a Gen 1 ZX14 exhaust on his Concours... I decided to give it a shot!

I have a Gen 1 ZX14... when I bought it, it had a full Hindle exhaust by Brock's performance. I switched out to a Brock's CT megaphone exhaust, so I (conveniently) had the full exhaust in my garage.

The install went great, and, after realizing that the primary pipes are moveable on the Hindle headers (thanks Lee!), the headers bolted up no problem. I put some washers behind the bottom radiator support to adjust the bottom of the radiator 'out' (toward the front tire) in order to clear the primaries. I used the stock rear muffler hanger, after drilling holes in a small metal 'strap' I had lying around from Home Depot.

The Brock's system is a 4-2-1 design. The primary headers fit perfect. The secondary collector fits perfect. The only part that doesn't fit the best is where the muffler 'midpipe' connects to the secondary collector, just underneath the oil pan. The pipe fits, but is not able to slide all the way over the secondary collector. I am still, however, able to fit the connector springs that came with the Brock's exhaust. There is no audible leak, however, at WOT, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a leak at this point.

The exhaust is mild at cruising and low throttle position, but really opens up at WOT. It reminds me that I'm on a cruiser version of the ZX14, versus a 'sewing machine', as I've heard the exhaust note of the stock Concours described. Having said that, I actually appreciated the silence of the stock exhaust. Unfortunately, I'm affected with the curse of the 'modder', therefore, I could not leave a good thing alone, especially given that I didn't have to spend a dime on the exhaust system.

Tips:

If you're going to do a header swap, get yourself 2-3 'wobble' extensions; it will help you get a direct shot at the header bolts. Also, tape a piece of cardboard over the rear of the radiator, to avoid bending the fins (I didn't do this). :(

Take your time with the fairings, there are a few plastic pins and 'hidden' bolts that will challenge your (my) patience if it's your first time removing them.

All I have for now is night time cell phone pics, sorry.

Now, I need to decide:

Remove the flies, or go with a Guhl flash?

Weld an oxygen sensor bung for the Dynojet Autotune software, or just go with a mail order map? (Fuelmoto, etc).

FaceBook.com/boostMDvideo

Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:38 pm

Well done , you will love the extra power of the pipe as well as the weight lose ... :thumbs:

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:54 pm

nice setup!!!! it looks great on there :bigthumb:

Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]