View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 change wheel bearings? 

Question-

Do you guys use a screwdriver to tap out old bearings on Kawasaki rims, or a Tusk or Motion Pro removal tool kit???

Silly question I know, but I've never kept a bike long enough to swap bearings until now. I've never done it, and these bearings have >85,000 miles on 'em

Tue May 20, 2014 7:14 am

A lil something I wrote up for my powder coating buddies that didn't know how to remove...
There are other ways ...

Ok some of u guys always ask how to remove bearings from wheels so i thought i would throw some pics together with a little description of whats going on and were to get the correct tool to do it.
so heres were you can get what u need or google it for a better price.
H/D wheels are listed also!
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/too ... mover_sets

ok so heres the tool
close up

Wheel Bearing on both sides with sleeve in center (sportbike)

Place the collet in the bearing so that the split is inside the wheel bearing.

A look from the other side of wheel..

If the collet does not go all the way in the bearing tap with hammer until all the way in.
now to insert the driver into the bearing
once you get the driver and collet aligned so they fit into one another hit the driver with hammer while on solid ground (i use a block of wood) to set the driver in the collet this opens the collet and grabs the bearing. Now elevate the wheel so the bearing can come out once u start hitting the driver. ( i use a old tire)
after a few hits it should be moving

a few more hits and she's out

now to repeat for the other side.
there u have 2 bearings and sleeve and a wheel ready to coat.

Tue May 20, 2014 7:42 am

Very tricky .. :thumbs: I guess you would not want to reuse those bearings because of the beating on the center of the race ? :?:

Tue May 20, 2014 9:51 am

SteveWFL wrote:
Question-

Do you guys use a screwdriver to tap out old bearings on Kawasaki rims, or a Tusk or Motion Pro removal tool kit???

Silly question I know, but I've never kept a bike long enough to swap bearings until now. I've never done it, and these bearings have >85,000 miles on 'em

Blind Hole Bearing Puller Shown in pic.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Blind-Hole-Pilot ... 1c1f9e9b8a

Tue May 20, 2014 10:09 am

SteveWFL wrote:
Question-

Steve use the right tools ... And put some ceramic bearings in this time around .. You will be happy you did .. I can get you a set from Brocks if you like .. :thumbs:

Tue May 20, 2014 10:14 am

Thanks guys. Smokin' I've had a set of allballs bearings laying around forever. Let's use them this go around and I'll get the ceramic for front/rear from you soon when i take both wheels off to powdercoat and replace the tire pressure sensor batteries :bigthumb:

Which specific tool you use to knock the bearings out?

Also, I can't remember if you have tire machine at your shop, if so you want all my tire business if i remove the wheels from the bike and bring 'em over? My 4 bikes go through some tires too.

Tue May 20, 2014 10:58 am

No do NOT use the bearings again.. All ballz are what I use as replacements...

Also that tool didn't cost that when I purchased holy shit!! I paid like $30 for it...

Tue May 20, 2014 11:36 am

SteveWFL wrote:
Thanks guys. Smokin' I've had a set of allballs bearings laying around forever. Let's use them this go around and I'll get the ceramic for front/rear from you soon when i take both wheels off to powdercoat and replace the tire pressure sensor batteries :bigthumb:

Also, I can't remember if you have tire machine at your shop, if so you want all my tire business if i remove the wheels from the bike and bring 'em over? My 4 bikes go through some tires too.
No I don't have the tools to remove the bearings , I do it the hard way .. :cry: But I'm going to buy the tools to do it right , Ebay link posted for the tools had a great price ..

Yes Steve I do have a tire machine ( No Mar brand )and I can swap out your tires for you ..

Tue May 20, 2014 11:39 am

06blackpearl wrote:
No do NOT use the bearings again.. All ballz are what I use as replacements...

Also that tool didn't cost that when I purchased holy shit!! I paid like $30 for it...

I'm not reusing old bearings

SmokinZX14 wrote:
SteveWFL wrote:

No I don't have the tools to remove the bearings , I do it the hard way .. :cry: But I'm going to buy the tools to do it right , Ebay link posted for the tools had a great price ..

Yes Steve I do have a tire machine ( No Mar brand )and I can swap out your tires for you ..

Great I'd rather you have my business even though the stealership i use is around the corner :bigthumb:

Tue May 20, 2014 11:57 am

06blackpearl wrote:
A lil something I wrote up for my powder coating buddies that didn't know how to remove...
There are other ways ...

Ok some of u guys always ask how to remove bearings from wheels so i thought i would throw some pics together with a little description of whats going on and were to get the correct tool to do it.
so heres were you can get what u need or google it for a better price.
H/D wheels are listed also!
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/too ... mover_sets

^^^ ordered that sweet tool plus an extra 30mm to fit KTM. Had some Amazon gift credits I had to use up anyway.

Thanks!

Tue May 20, 2014 2:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]