View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Parts Polish and Input Shaft Mod 

So had some time on my hands and decided to get some parts cleaned up with Isotropic Finishing and they came up a treat I think. Had the gears back cut before cleaning so it should be an altogether nicer shift now.

I have had a love / hate affair with clutches since I first go a ZX14. I have a Rock of sorts, Hays Super Slider and OEM with MTC lock up. There has always been a thought that you need to back date the transmission input shaft to get a better clutch. Tim Hays has resolved that with clutches that fit the Gen 2. However I want all the options so I set about modifying the Gen 2 shaft and Gen 2 inner hub and now I can fit either Gen 1 or Gen 2 clutches at will.

That OEM gen 2 hub is hard I went through 2 ceramic tip on the lathe and you can still see the vibration marks. I should never have to remove the transmission again or consider setting up for a gen 1 or gen 2 clutch.

Next up is setting up Tim's super slider as a ride back clutch. Not as simple as it first seemed to be as there are all sorts of tolerances and run outs to take into account.

The top shaft is the modified gen 2 shaft and goes with the modified inner hub, The shaft is slightly longer than a gen 1 but shorter than a gen2

Attachments:
Input Shafts.jpg
Input Shafts.jpg [ 1.22 MiB | Viewed 293 times ]
Clutch Hub.jpg
Clutch Hub.jpg [ 1.3 MiB | Viewed 293 times ]
Polish 1.jpg
Polish 1.jpg [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 293 times ]
Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:28 pm

Wow nice work Max...... :drool: :thumbs: Sure gives you a good look at everything doesn't it? How much time to do that?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:46 pm

about 1 hour on the lathe for the shaft and hub mod and about 2 days in the tub for the polish. Back cutting of the gears is about 4 hours work but I had to send it out and took 4 weeks.

The problem with having a good look at it all is you have to put the dam thing back together.

Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:51 pm

I hear ya..... :thumbs: :lol:

Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:17 pm

Man my buddy has been doing trans with the Isotrophic coating for a few years now. It really is amazing at how much more freely everything spins. I haven't ever had it but it definitely looks like it would help save parts! :bigthumb:

Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:35 am

OzzyMax wrote:
So had some time on my hands and decided to get some parts cleaned up with Isotropic Finishing and they came up a treat I think. Had the gears back cut before cleaning so it should be an altogether nicer shift now.

I have had a love / hate affair with clutches since I first go a ZX14. I have a Rock of sorts, Hays Super Slider and OEM with MTC lock up. There has always been a thought that you need to back date the transmission input shaft to get a better clutch. Tim Hays has resolved that with clutches that fit the Gen 2. However I want all the options so I set about modifying the Gen 2 shaft and Gen 2 inner hub and now I can fit either Gen 1 or Gen 2 clutches at will.

That OEM gen 2 hub is hard I went through 2 ceramic tip on the lathe and you can still see the vibration marks. I should never have to remove the transmission again or consider setting up for a gen 1 or gen 2 clutch.

Next up is setting up Tim's super slider as a ride back clutch. Not as simple as it first seemed to be as there are all sorts of tolerances and run outs to take into account.

The top shaft is the modified gen 2 shaft and goes with the modified inner hub, The shaft is slightly longer than a gen 1 but shorter than a gen2

Nice parts, looks like they are going to fit with ease.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]