View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 PCS1 Flo oil filter 

Perhaps this has been covered elsewhere, but important enough to be repeated for those of us wanting to use reusable filters.

So I had a Flo Billet Oil Filter PCS1 come apart (end caps separated from filter element). Called around trying to figure out who to scream at and ended up talking to K&P Engineering who actually makes the REAL one... The FLO is a china knock off and apparently only marginally better than using a dish rag.

I spoke to Dave at K&P (720)238-1181 who went into great detail about the misleading marketing of dealers and distributors that sell the FLO as the same quality as the K&P, which it is NOT... the K&P is certified for use in aircraft and much better quality, especially in durability and filter function.

If it is the real deal, it will be engraved K&P and the part number for the ZX14R is S1, NOT PCS1. Apparently the PC stands for piece of crap.

When the FLO grenades it will throw a bunch of nasty hard glue bits everywhere and probably require a tear down or at least a new pickup. It didn't cause my rebuild, but I saw a bunch of that orange crap everywhere in the cases afterwards, in fact two oil changes after the FLO was replaced is when I did the rebuild (thought I was using too aggressive of a cleaner or too much heat hot lapping it).

I originally had a K&P S1 on a bike I sold and loved it so asked the dealer to get me a new one, neither of us knew it was the knock off and he sourced it from PU.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:41 am

I use oem.

wee

Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:46 am

Very informative first post Eric.
I'm sure you have no connection with K&P (720)238-1181
and therefore no vested interest in panning the competition. :bigthumb:

I use OEM too! :D

Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:02 pm

Wheelie wrote:
I use oem.

wee

Me too! :thumbs:

Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:55 pm
Profile WWW

China crap? well unless you guys who use kawasaki OEM have some old stock filters,you need to look at the new kawasaki boxes , MADE IN CHINA! ive been using the flo filter for almost 3 yrs on my turbo 14 and my 30t without a problem .

Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:44 am

kawpower wrote:
China crap? well unless you guys who use kawasaki OEM have some old stock filters,you need to look at the new kawasaki boxes , MADE IN CHINA! ive been using the flo filter for almost 3 yrs on my turbo 14 and my 30t without a problem .

I'm sure the oem Kawasaki filter is up to Kaw specs even if it says China.

wee

Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:12 am

kawpower wrote:

Sonny, if products made in China are good for Donald Trump, they should be ok for us mere mortals. :thumbs:

Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:55 pm
Profile WWW

I had the FLO PCS1, mistake number 1 that I made with it was torquing it to the oem 13ft lbs. Came loose at top of 1st gear.... They need to be 20-25 ft lbs. I have since sold the filter and now only use NAPA GOLD WIX filters or oem kawasaki. Andy built my engine, and recommended I throw the billet reusable away immediately and use the wix or oem. Needless to say, I did exactly what he said.

Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:03 pm

Had a FLO come apart and the glue took out my mains on my 06 zx14, installed a 2013 engine now and only run stock oil filters.

Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:25 pm

Given the K&P is around $150 and the OEM is around $8 it's going to take some time before you some kind of financial worth. I would rather just throw away the OEM and go again knowing the filter is up to spec and not bother with any messy cleaning.
But I guess to each their own.

Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]