View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 LSR 101 

LSR 101

Land Speed Racing. LSR for short. Three little letters that can turn into an addiction. What is Land Speed Racing, and what do you need to do in order to race at an LSR event? Read on, and we will cover the basics that will take you from bike prep, to registration, to making wide open top speed passes!

The Concept

Whenever we look at a high performance vehicle (or even a 50cc scooter), we usually ask ourselves "how fast can it go?". It's just a natural question for those who are interested in going fast. Since you are reading this, I will assume you are interested! Land Speed Racing sets out to answer that age-old question. You and your machine, flat-out, no-limits. The goal: to go as fast as possible. In essence, you are looking at a .5 to 1.5 mile drag race, from a standing start.

LSR, for purpose of this discussion, will focus on concrete and asphalt tracks. Bonneville has the Salt Flats, but that is an entirely different animal. Asphalt and concrete airport runways are a very popular way to get into LSR, and generally require less prep and expense than a trip to the salt. They are also a good place for a more street-oriented crowd to "test the waters" of LSR, so to speak.

We are looking at four major venues here in the US. California, Maine, Ohio and Texas all play host to LSR events throughout the season, which generally runs from March through October of each year.

The Rule Book

Get one for your chosen venue. That is step one. I will give some basic guidelines in this article, but the final word is in the rule book. Here are some links:

ECTA (Wilimington, OH): http://www.ecta-lsr.net
LTA (Loring AFB, Maine):http://www.loringtiming.com/#
Texas Mile (Beeville, TX): http://www.texasmile.com
Houston Mile (Houston, TX ): http://www.houstonmile.com
Mojave Mile (Mojave, CA): http://www.mojavemile.com/
Landracing.com (LSR forum):http://www.landracing.com/forum/

The Classes

Generally speaking, LSR has certain rules and specifications for each class of machine. There are rules regarding displacement classes, streamlining, induction type, etc.. For most people starting out with a mildly modified streetbike, you will fall into the Modified Partially Streamlined classification, or MPS, for short. You will further be classified by your engine displacement. Your engine displacement class is dictated by the CC of your engine. For example, in 1350 class you cannot have more than 1350cc of displacement. Since we are on ZX1441R.com, you should know that all ZX-14's and 14R's, as factory configured, will typically run in 1650cc class. The Gen 1 ZX-14 is just over the 1350cc limit, at 1352cc's. This means that a stock 14 engine has to complete in a class with 1635cc Hayabusas, whereas the Gen 2 Hayabusa, at 1340cc's, can compete in the generally much slower 1350cc class.

A typical ZX-14 streetbike can be registered for the following class, with minimal headache:

MPS1650/F-4

The designation denotes a Modified Partially Streamlined machine, of no more than 1650cc's in displacement, which can run any fuel (or nitrous). The "4" denotes a 4-stroke engine (for venues which have different categories for 2 and 4-stroke engine designs). Again, check the rule book for venue specifics.

The Rider Safety Gear

In order to compete, you will need some specialized safety gear. The gear will be inspected trackside, before you are allowed to compete. In general, the minimum requirements may include:

Snell 2005 or later helmet (Snell certifications are good for 10 years)
Full leather suit (one or two piece suits are acceptable, but check your venue for specifics)
Full Leather Gloves
CE rated armor and back protector
Leather, over the ankle boots

Each venue has it's own specific safety rules, but these are the basics. And remember, minimum requirements are just that. Any time you can improve safety it is a good thing.

Bike Preparation

Before you can compete, your bike must undergo a technical inspection, by trackside inspectors. General bike preparation may include:

A steering damper
A tethered kill switch
A metal chain guard
Safety wiring some bolts
Metal valve stems

Some venues have additional (or fewer) requirements, but this will get you pointed in the right direction.

Licensing Passes

Most venues will require that you make licensing passes. These are passes at progressively faster speeds, in order to demonstrate that you can safely control the vehicle. Once you have made such passes, you will then be authorized to run up to the maximum speed on your machine. For example, the ECTA license schedule is as such:

D license: Up to 125 mph
C license: Up to 150 mph
B license: Up to 175 mph
A license: Up to 249 mph
AA license: 250+ mph

Typically you will start with a 125 mph pass and work your way forward from there.

Flat Out!

Once all of your gear is inspected, the bike checked over, the licensing passes made...you will be able to make a full out pass. In general, the process will go something like this:

You will spend some time with your bike in the staging lanes. This is a good time to take a look around at other bikes (don't stray too far from your own!), and to meet some new people. Generally speaking, LSR people are a pretty friendly crowd, and much time is spent socializing in the lanes. Sometimes it can be hours before you can make a pass, so be prepared!

As you get nearer to the start line, you will see the first several rows of competitors start to get their gear on. Since there are so many competitors, it is important that you are ready when waved forward. If you are not prepared when the starter calls you up, you will usually be made to wait while other riders are moved forward. You will also notice that some racers tend to stop talking and get in "the zone", so to speak. As a general rule, I tend not to disturb the racers who are just about ready to run down the track. There is a lot going on in their head! Shift points, tuck, track position, shut down technique...all of these things are being pondered!

Usually the starter or assistants will look you and the bike over again, before you come to the line. They will check your bike for signs of problems, and check your gear again, in the interest of safety. When you are waved up to the line, the starter is now in control.

Once the track is verified clear and safe, the starter will indicate that the course is now yours. You may leave the start line on your run. I suggest that you focus on being smooth, hitting your shifts points, and getting tucked in as tightly as possible. You will be surprised at just how much is going on! In fact, it is not uncommon for people to lose track of which gear they are in, or forget to open the throttle all of the way up! These things will come in time, but to start, just focus on being smooth! Don't worry about being ultra-aggressive at first. Remember, LSR is a game of MPH, not ET. Smoking tires and wheelies are fun, but do little to get you down the track faster!

Shutting Down

Over the years I've known of far more crashes when on the brakes than when on the gas. Be smooth and controlled in your braking procedure. Most of the venues have about 1 mile to slow down, which is way more than needed for most bikes. Don't just grab a handful of brake. Ease off the throttle and make a smooth transition to your braking procedure. As the speed tapers you can sit up and use your body as an air brake in order to aid in the process.

As a side note, The Texas Mile does have far less than 1 mile for braking. Be sure to check your venue for exact specifics, as some track layouts have been known to change in the offseason.

Summing it Up

That should cover most of the basics for the aspiring LSR competitor. In a nutshell: get a rule book, prep your bike, aquire the proper safety gear, and prepare for the ride of your life! As they say in LSR circles: Be safe, have fun, and GO FAST!!

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:48 pm

Excellent post Shane! :clap:

wee

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Wheelie wrote:
Excellent post Shane! :clap:

wee

Thanks Wee. I will be expanding on the post as time allows, but I wanted to get something up this week in order to answer some questions, and point people in the right direction. The season is quickly approaching! :bigthumb:

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:00 pm

Very niiiiiiiiiiiiice!!!

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:44 pm

Thank You Shane :bow:
That is really well written and informative :thumbs:
Best,
Phil

'79 CBX Turbo Black
'80 CBX The Hulk
'80 Moto Martin CBX
'85 ZX750 E2 Turbo
'71 CT70
'65 CB160

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:54 pm

That's a good read Shane. Here in the UK we seem to be standardising on the mile, our longest track is barely two miles long and the maximum distance we ever race over is 1.4 miles which doesn't leave much braking room for the quicker riders at around 250mph. Even at 200 it can be challenging, which I discovered a few years ago when I went through the speed-trap just as it began to rain heavily at the far end of the runway. Our new season starts in two weeks and I can't wait to run my new bike.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:52 am

Shane I really appreciate this thread as I have always wanted to top 200mph. As a first timer would I be able to get all the licensing runs in on a weekend in ohio?

Does weight loss (like BST's) play as big a role in LSR as it does in drag racing?

Thanks for the information you share.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:09 pm

toledoUPSguy wrote:
Shane I really appreciate this thread as I have always wanted to top 200mph. As a first timer would I be able to get all the licensing runs in on a weekend in ohio?

Does weight loss (like BST's) play as big a role in LSR as it does in drag racing?

Thanks for the information you share.

Yes, you should be able to get all of your licensing runs done in one weekend! The important thing is to show up at the track prepared, so that you can spend the entire time focused on racing. :)

Weight loss in the mile is very important. Think in terms of what it takes to drop .10 in the 1/4 mile...and then consider that roughly 1 mph for the mile. That doesn't even count the acceleration benefits of a lighter wheel. If you physically reduce your aero profile, that will also pay big dividends! We all have our own "secret" formulas, lol, but that gives you an idea. ;)

Anyway, good luck out there, and maybe I will see you at the track this season! :thumbs:

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:45 pm

One more "Thank You" Shane. This kind of info cuts to the chase and really gives a first timer a great look at what to expect ..

Thu May 19, 2016 8:46 am
Profile WWW

Just going back to relive some stuff..(I think most helmets are required to be Snell 2010 or equivalent.)..I know you wrote this some time back and except for that, I found it again to be spot on...Sure helped me on my instantiation into this arena of sports. Thanks again..

Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:16 pm
Profile WWW

Really liking the forum , some very useful info. It was a great read about LSR. Looking to learn more and hope to get there in the summer of 2018... :thumbs:

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]