View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:46 am





Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ] 
 Progress 
Author Message

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:23 pm
Posts: 40
Been to the track a few times and finally started seeing some big changes today.
I'm about 230/235 suited and have it strapped, lowered, piped, tuned, 40tooth rear, 17tooth front, clutch mod, stiffer springs, and stock wheelbase.
I was getting used to my new shift light and was short shifting it by atleast a 2-300 rpms but I was very pleased with my runs.

I'm looking to improve my 60' by lowering the bike a bit more and stretching the shift point a bit further now that I'm getting more comfortable.


Attachments:
IMG_3150.JPG
IMG_3150.JPG [ 1.81 MiB | Viewed 420 times ]
Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:56 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:49 pm
Posts: 585
Good job man! You're gettin there! SWB is a hell of a challenge! :vroom:


Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:49 am
Profile

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:23 pm
Posts: 40
thanks, i've been researching setups and watching rickey gadson and smokin performance videos quite a bit, lol

what is a reasonable goal for my weight on SWB?

should i be able to hit 6.20s in good air?

DA was 1700' that day....


Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:39 am
Profile
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:36 pm
Posts: 2999
Location: Dallas Texas
Short shifting will lower the mph. I shift at 11,100 on the tach.

wee


Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:04 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:23 pm
Posts: 40
Wheelie wrote:
Short shifting will lower the mph. I shift at 11,100 on the tach.

wee


i assumed it would hurt the whole run in general but i was getting my feet wet with shifting off the light on the bike and last thing i wanted was to bounce the limiter several times while i was trying to learn... after the night was over i bumped it to 10,900. I'll run that through several times then probably bump to 11k and see how that goes.

I've really been enjoying the technical aspect of riding this machine.... definitely a lot going on in a short amount of time :)


Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:20 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:49 pm
Posts: 585
Ty_ty13 wrote:
thanks, i've been researching setups and watching rickey gadson and smokin performance videos quite a bit, lol

what is a reasonable goal for my weight on SWB?

should i be able to hit 6.20s in good air?

DA was 1700' that day....


I think 6.20's is definitely achievable at your weight, if you can keep the front wheel down. If you can get your 60' down to low to mid 1.5's without doing monster wheelies, you should be in the 6.20's. Best of luck to you man!


Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:15 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:23 pm
Posts: 40
i've been looking around and i saw a bike setup pretty close to mine except he had a shifter and a 260lb rider and he went 120 mph in the 1/8th..

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=286&hilit=weight#p8244


am i missing something? thats quite a bit more MPH for me to be 30lbs lighter.... weather here this past weekend wasnt horrible either. is a shifter worth a few mph?
I know me short shifting a few hundred rpms hurts a little as well...


Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:25 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:49 pm
Posts: 585
Ty_ty13 wrote:
i've been looking around and i saw a bike setup pretty close to mine except he had a shifter and a 260lb rider and he went 120 mph in the 1/8th..

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=286&hilit=weight#p8244


am i missing something? thats quite a bit more MPH for me to be 30lbs lighter.... weather here this past weekend wasnt horrible either. is a shifter worth a few mph?
I know me short shifting a few hundred rpms hurts a little as well...


Do you have stiff clutch springs in yours? Some guys pick up more with a shifter than others. I didn't pick up any mph with a shifter on mine but i picked up a tenth.


Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:36 am
Profile

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:23 pm
Posts: 40
i have the brocks clutch springs and spacers and i am foot shifting for now.


i started doing a little digging and more reading.... I do have my stock mirrors on which they say does make a difference...


I also need to quit worrying about it..... i know from racing my radial nitrous car all over the south east unless you are at the same track on the same day MPH and ET can be very deceiving...

I'll go to music city raceway in nashville one race night when i've honed my skills a bit more and compare apples to apples down there.



on a side note i have just ordered mirror block-offs and some other light weight goodies... should be a solid 20lb drop with all the goodies added up.... probably more.


the proof will be in the pudding :)


Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:28 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:49 pm
Posts: 585
I hear you on the mph thing. It seems like everyone thats close to my size runs higher mph than i do. lol i think it will help when you start taking unneeded weight off the bike.


Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:25 pm
Profile
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:36 pm
Posts: 2999
Location: Dallas Texas
Ty_ty13, sounds like you're set up right, I'm wondering if the 40t on back is hurting the mph and time being 235 lbs? No doubt the short shifting will effect it. Your 60ft isn't all that bad, but with that gearing and short shifting with your weight that could be the missing numbers. Have you tried the 42?

wee


Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:26 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:23 pm
Posts: 40
I just pulled the passenger pegs off, dropped the bike down a bit more, and set the rear shock like Lee has said, mirrors are coming off, derlin bar ends are going on, vortex gas cap, and alien motion battery going in and catalyst drag seat and a cut stock seat will be ready soon as well. I also plan to drop about 10lbs.

I'd love to see a 5 light up the score board with me on a SWB bike.

If I get consistent with my short time I may start throwing gear back in it.


Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:03 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:23 pm
Posts: 40
I keep whittling away little by little... my 60's haven't dropped any but they've been getting a little more consistent....

Made a gear change and picked up some mph.
Now I'm at 16/40....

Air was 104 water grains, 2100DA and 80*

Definitely terrible air.


As long as I get better every time out, that's all I can ask for.


Attachments:
IMG_3220.JPG
IMG_3220.JPG [ 1.46 MiB | Viewed 315 times ]
IMG_3219.JPG
IMG_3219.JPG [ 1.42 MiB | Viewed 315 times ]
Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:31 am
Profile

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:23 pm
Posts: 40
Hovered the front tire the top of 1st and the bottom of 2nd.

Felt great and like a rocket ship.


Attachments:
IMG_3229.JPG
IMG_3229.JPG [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 231 times ]
IMG_3227.JPG
IMG_3227.JPG [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 231 times ]
Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:39 pm
Profile
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:36 pm
Posts: 2999
Location: Dallas Texas
:clap: Keep chopping at it.

wee


Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:52 pm
Profile
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:36 pm
Posts: 2999
Location: Dallas Texas
You shifting @ 11k?

wee


Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:00 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:23 pm
Posts: 40
Yes, 11k

This track is asphalt after 90' as well.


Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:56 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:23 pm
Posts: 40
I was late for the track and in a rush today but I now have a GoPro that I plan on mounting and pointing at my clutch hand... is that the best thing to focus on or should I try and focus on something else with the camera?

What 60's are you able to consistently hit wee?


Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:49 pm
Profile
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:36 pm
Posts: 2999
Location: Dallas Texas
I'm at 69" lol, when I was pretty good at swb I could get low 1.50's but ran slower due to the throttle lift from the wheelie, 1.58 worked for me. The video sound will help us.

wee


Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:54 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:23 pm
Posts: 40
how big should the gap be between my front fender and headlight plastic when it's strapped?
as of now I probably have a 1/2" gap and I have to strap it really, really tight (as tight as possible) to get there.
Is this setup correctly?

Here's what the top of my forks look like.


Attachments:
IMG_3233.JPG
IMG_3233.JPG [ 2.43 MiB | Viewed 201 times ]
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:26 pm
Profile
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:36 pm
Posts: 2999
Location: Dallas Texas
Bout right

wee


Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:40 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:23 pm
Posts: 40
I'm trying to wrap my head around being able to get my 60's down lower and I've yet to break or match my 1.65 from several weeks ago and I do realize trimming about a .1 of is a huge jump in the 60'.

I'm tempted to get my oil pan trimmed down and move the forks up through the clamps another 1/4".


Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:59 pm
Profile
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:36 pm
Posts: 2999
Location: Dallas Texas
Get video so we can see and hear what you're doing, also it takes several weekends in a row to get "it" a clutch hand, some guys never get it, but you being at a 1.65 you'll probably be the exception lol, keep at it as often as you can. At your weight a 1.59-1.61 may be the sweet spot.

wee


Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:50 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:23 pm
Posts: 40
So you're saying that even though you can launch it harder it may not always net the best ET?

As I've said I come from a very big drag radial car with stock suspension background so I understand how large a jump of that is in 60' but bikes are definitely a new learning experience for me.


Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:17 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:23 pm
Posts: 40
i feel like the initial hit is where my 60' is lacking the most.... im thinking about bumping my launch 500rpms to 4000.

i seem to control the bike decent after i get it rolling a little about 5-10 ft but the initial wack of the throttle i'm hesitant...


my clutch hand doesnt have the initial drop and pause that i see most guys have... mine seems to slowly open in at a linear rate.

is the initial drop a must?

if so i'll definitely have to "relearn" what i know and work on that technique.


Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:20 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:23 pm
Posts: 40
https://youtu.be/u80cV7SVj1Y

Other was in slow motion and couldn't hear.... I watched it to check out my lights.... which are very bad, lol


Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:48 pm
Profile
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:36 pm
Posts: 2999
Location: Dallas Texas
Ty_ty13 wrote:
So you're saying that even though you can launch it harder it may not always net the best ET?

As I've said I come from a very big drag radial car with stock suspension background so I understand how large a jump of that is in 60' but bikes are definitely a new learning experience for me.
That's what I'm saying, if you get a good 60 on the back tire and you're having to chop or roll off the throttle you're losing et. At your weight I'm only guessing on a 1.58-1.61 60 is the sweet spot, you'll find it. If you're not wheelying in 1st up the rpm 500 each pass till you have to roll off the throttle, then go down a few hundred rpm till you get control, there's your sweet spot for the launch.

wee


Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:26 pm
Profile
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:36 pm
Posts: 2999
Location: Dallas Texas
Ty_ty13 wrote:
i feel like the initial hit is where my 60' is lacking the most.... im thinking about bumping my launch 500rpms to 4000.

i seem to control the bike decent after i get it rolling a little about 5-10 ft but the initial wack of the throttle i'm hesitant...


my clutch hand doesnt have the initial drop and pause that i see most guys have... mine seems to slowly open in at a linear rate.

is the initial drop a must?

if so i'll definitely have to "relearn" what i know and work on that technique.
You are correct on the initial move, if you watch RG11 video (Rickey Gadson 11x Champ) he can lift the front tire an inch from dead stop and control it with clutch after that, most normal humans can't do that lol, but we try to get close. Throwing the clutch will give you a huge bog in rpm, as you said you have a linear release, that's good just work on the initial hit with the linear release.

wee


Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:43 pm
Profile
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:36 pm
Posts: 2999
Location: Dallas Texas
Ty_ty13 wrote:
https://youtu.be/u80cV7SVj1Y

Other was in slow motion and couldn't hear.... I watched it to check out my lights.... which are very bad, lol
Dang dude, for a rookie that looks really good ! Up your rpm like you said to 4k, if the front wheel stays on the ground up it another 500 rpm. You're doing great.

wee


Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:49 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:23 pm
Posts: 40
Wheelie wrote:
Ty_ty13 wrote:
https://youtu.be/u80cV7SVj1Y

Other was in slow motion and couldn't hear.... I watched it to check out my lights.... which are very bad, lol
Dang dude, for a rookie that looks really good ! Up your rpm like you said to 4k, if the front wheel stays on the ground up it another 500 rpm. You're doing great.

wee


I grew up riding 2stroke 4 wheelers and then got into racing cars. I understand the concepts of how the mechanics work but I really need someone experienced like yourself to hang out with at the track and get advice from. Getting knowledge from someone with experience is priceless.


If 4000 or 4500 launch doesn't work should I look at adding a tooth to the rear?

I should have my GoPro mounted on my next outing


Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:53 pm
Profile
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:36 pm
Posts: 2999
Location: Dallas Texas
Ty_ty13 wrote:
Wheelie wrote:
Ty_ty13 wrote:
https://youtu.be/u80cV7SVj1Y

Other was in slow motion and couldn't hear.... I watched it to check out my lights.... which are very bad, lol
Dang dude, for a rookie that looks really good ! Up your rpm like you said to 4k, if the front wheel stays on the ground up it another 500 rpm. You're doing great.

wee


I grew up riding 2stroke 4 wheelers and then got into racing cars. I understand the concepts of how the mechanics work but I really need someone experienced like yourself to hang out with at the track and get advice from. Getting knowledge from someone with experience is priceless.


If 4000 or 4500 launch doesn't work should I look at adding a tooth to the rear?

I should have my GoPro mounted on my next outing
Watching the video you just need to add a little rpm, and seat time, I'm impressed with your ability as a rookie lol. You catch on very quickly to swb bikes.

wee


Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:11 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:23 pm
Posts: 40
made a little progress tonight.
went a 1.64 60'...

i feel like one of my aborted passes was my best... bike popped out of 2nd gear....



heres my youtube page... look at the runs from 8/11...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXoTmj ... subscriber

tonight i started to get much more aggressive with the throttle towards the end... the air was total shit tonight with 130 water grains...

i bumped my rpms up to 4500 and 5k... from about 3500 last time out....

pretty sure i'll have an airshifter as my next upgradee as i've become more comfortable pulling my self up on my bars but trying to get my damn foot under the shifter is quite a bitch while doing so and cost me good run....


Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:32 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:23 pm
Posts: 40
I feel like I need to add a little gear. Am I wrong in thinking that?


Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:03 am
Profile

Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:02 pm
Posts: 76
Nice passes!

I'm running into a similar issue. Only cutting low 1.6's and can't crack my 9.54 personal best.

I'm 17/43 and about 220 suited with the stock rear shock. I know I need to keep at it and improve the launch. Also need to improve my waistline as well.

Good job!

Jeff


Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:58 am
Profile

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:23 pm
Posts: 40
Bungles wrote:
Nice passes!

I'm running into a similar issue. Only cutting low 1.6's and can't crack my 9.54 personal best.

I'm 17/43 and about 220 suited with the stock rear shock. I know I need to keep at it and improve the launch. Also need to improve my waistline as well.

Good job!

Jeff


i was at 16/40.... im changing to 16/42 and putting an airshifter on it so i can ride the tank hard and not worry about my foot getting back on the pegs so fast.


Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:05 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:02 pm
Posts: 76
Air shifter is key and will drop some time off your passes.


Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:42 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:23 pm
Posts: 40
I'd love to dip in the 6.1x and get to 119mph with SWB and 89 octane.


Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:45 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:02 pm
Posts: 76
You'll get there man. Just keep at it like I am and every pass you learn something new about yourself and the bike. :thumbs:


Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:12 pm
Profile
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:36 pm
Posts: 2999
Location: Dallas Texas
Ty_ty13 wrote:
I'd love to dip in the 6.1x and get to 119mph with SWB and 89 octane.
Cooler weather will help a 10th or more.

wee


Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:41 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
[ Advertise on ZX1441R.com ]

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.